Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 239
Front hydraulic landing gear settling

We have a 2014 Cedar Creek 5th wheel with the Lippert hydraulic 6 point leveling system.

Recently the front landing gear has started to settle slowly after being set up... approximately 1/8" per day. Also when the gear is retracted when towing the front left (curb side) landing gear will extend slowly about an inch after we have been towing all day.

I inspected the system and found no hydraulic fluid leaking anywhere.

I called Lippert to help troubleshoot and they said to make sure the hydraulic cartridge valve on the right side landing gear was fully closed by turning counter clockwise with a 5/32 allen wrench. I was able to turn the valve about 1/4 turn or so but I don't know yet if it has fixed the problem. (I don't think so)

I'm afraid we may have an internal leak in the front left jack assembly. Lippert told me they do not sell parts to rebuild the jack assembly... if there is an internal leak I would need to buy a whole new jack assembly... they are very expensive and a pain to remove.

What if I do nothing and continue to re-level every few days? Are we risking a dangerous failure?
I was thinking of using more leveling blocks under the pads so we would only need to extend the jacks a couple on inches. That way if it did start settling faster the front could only lower a couple of inches.

Anyone have experience with this same problem?

What options do I have?

Thanks
__________________
2014 CC 34RLSA
2013 RAM 3500 Laramie CC SB 4x4 CTD
sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 7,041
I would wait to see if tightening the valve worked. If not, I would think either the valve or the jack is bad. The jack/valve may be slightly expensive, but very easy to replace. The system is self bleeding. I would probably start with the valve first, but I would definitely fix it. Problems never get better on their own, only worse
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Berlin
Posts: 732
X2 on fixing the problem. Agree with NMWildcat start with valve first. The Jacks operate for lack of a better explanation by using pressure on both sides of the jack leg. An internal pressure loss in one jack should not affect the other jack, however a leaky control valve would allow both to loose pressure

Would also consider getting a set of Jack stands to place under each side after you get it level to hold everything in place until you get things fixed.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:53 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I would wait to see if tightening the valve worked. If not, I would think either the valve or the jack is bad. The jack/valve may be slightly expensive, but very easy to replace. The system is self bleeding. I would probably start with the valve first, but I would definitely fix it. Problems never get better on their own, only worse
I should have been more clear...

Should have said what if I do nothing in the interim. We are snowbirding for another 3 1/2 months and won't be able to be without our 5th wheel waiting for repairs.

Anyone here have the same problem with their hydraulics?

What was your fix?
__________________
2014 CC 34RLSA
2013 RAM 3500 Laramie CC SB 4x4 CTD
sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:10 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Berlin
Posts: 732
Sidney, a set of Jack stands screwed up under the frame will get you through. Have you considered a mobile RV repair service. Most places know who are good and can probably give you a reference. Unless there is something unusual they should be able to repair that on site.

I had both center jacks replaced on site because of leaks. Even had a new cooling unit replaced on our refrigerator on site. Different times but both services were excellent.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:52 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 7,041
Only you know how much it leaks, how much it bothers you, and how much you will put up with before you get it fixed. I have replaced a jack that was seeping oil externally, but never had any leak down. I have also used mobile techs numerous times while away from home, and they always fixed it onsite. If you don't know exactly what the problem is, I would go with a mobile repair. I'm still betting on the valve.

As far as a pending disaster, I doubt it. Worse case is you wake up one morning with the front end on the ground and no way to jack it up. Although if the landing gear went all the way down, it might damage the middle jacks that are still extended.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2
On our trip south this month the front jacks, on our CC 2014 CKTS, started drifting down 2-3 inches while traveling. Thought it might be the cold temperatures, -8 degrees, but monitoring right now to fully understand the issue
HWCbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:04 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Between Pickles Gap and Toad Suck, AR
Posts: 6,070
You might try (??) adding Stiction Fluid to the reservoir..........might help, might not.
__________________
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man" Herbert Hoover
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #9
Always Learning
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Four Corners, FL
Posts: 21,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
Should have said what if I do nothing in the interim. We are snowbirding for another 3 1/2 months and won't be able to be without our 5th wheel waiting for repairs.
I have no idea, but I will say, like NMWildcat mentioned- mobile RV techs should be able to fix you up in-place on your site without you having to leave the camper.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | Was a Fulltime Family for 5 years, now we're settlin' down for a spell
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,179
Take the jacks out, find a local hydraulic shop. Take them to them, explain whats happening and let them fix them. What you describe is a common scenario of piston seal damage. There is nothing special about the partd Lippert uses. They probsbly buy the whole leg assemblies from a Chinese source. So again thry will all have co mon easily sourced parts. Especially seals and bearings.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,179
BTW, go to Harbor Freight or borrow a pair of hydraulic bottle jacks to support the nose. Fix it where your sitting unless there are no hydraulic shops aroundmyou.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #12
Charlie & Sue
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 54
Front Hydraulic Landing Gear Settling

Had this problem once after taking out of storage from first winter with my 2015 CC CKTS. The left side settled a few inches over 3-weeks. Added additional fluid to the reservoir and problem never returned. Reservoir level was too low to start with.
mecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 239
Thanks for the replies.

I'm monitoring the settling for the next couple of days.

Checking to see if the fluid level in the reservoir changes after settling a inch or more. If it rises I'm guessing its a bad cartridge valve.

So far today the front landing gear hasn't settled at all. Typically it would have settled a measurable amount by now.

Keeping fingers crossed.
__________________
2014 CC 34RLSA
2013 RAM 3500 Laramie CC SB 4x4 CTD
sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:25 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
dieselguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,208
There is a procedure to check any hydraulic cylinder by removing one of the lines, capping it, and applying pressure to the other port on the cylinder to see if hyd fluid comes out the port the line was removed from, but it's best done with experience. It's no big deal to swap a cylinder if that what is determined to be the fault. While hooked to your truck or held up with an external jack ... 4 bolts, two hydraulic lines, and it's off. Swap out the fittings on the cylinder and reverse the procedure to install. Cycle the cylinder full stroke both ways and it will self bleed out the air. I've not run across anybody that has been successful in finding a business to agree to rebuild one of these cylinders. It's like asking to drain the Pacific ocean for some odd reason.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Space Coast of Florida
Posts: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I'm monitoring the settling for the next couple of days.

Checking to see if the fluid level in the reservoir changes after settling a inch or more. If it rises I'm guessing its a bad cartridge valve.

So far today the front landing gear hasn't settled at all. Typically it would have settled a measurable amount by now.

Keeping fingers crossed.
Maybe the 1/4 turn on the valve screw fixed the issue...
__________________
2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 40K+ miles
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab
Andersen Ultimate Hitch
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:47 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
kittlecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 370
My brother-in-law had the exact same problem with his RV (non-FR). His RV is also a 2014. He contacted Lippert at my suggestion and took the RV to them (we live in MI, Lippert is in IN) and the front hydraulic levelers were replaced at no charge to him. He and my sister would sometimes wake up in the morning and the front of the 5th wheel had dropped. He also had trouble with the front legs dropping down while driving and had to stop on the side of the freeway more than once and get out of the truck to raise the legs. Personally, I would be polite but very firm with Lippert and ask them to remedy the problem, because it is a problem. I believe there are others on this forum who have experienced the same trouble with the front legs on their hydraulic leveling systems and Lippert has replaced the front legs. Good luck.
__________________
Kittlecat
"Integrity simply means not violating one's own identity." Erich Fromm
"You have to understand who you are to know who you are not." Anonymous
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittlecat View Post
My brother-in-law had the exact same problem with his RV (non-FR). His RV is also a 2014. He contacted Lippert at my suggestion and took the RV to them (we live in MI, Lippert is in IN) and the front hydraulic levelers were replaced at no charge to him. He and my sister would sometimes wake up in the morning and the front of the 5th wheel had dropped. He also had trouble with the front legs dropping down while driving and had to stop on the side of the freeway more than once and get out of the truck to raise the legs. Personally, I would be polite but very firm with Lippert and ask them to remedy the problem, because it is a problem. I believe there are others on this forum who have experienced the same trouble with the front legs on their hydraulic leveling systems and Lippert has replaced the front legs. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply.

Mine is still settling.

How long did he own his coach before Lippert replaced the jacks? Was he still under warranty?
__________________
2014 CC 34RLSA
2013 RAM 3500 Laramie CC SB 4x4 CTD
sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
kittlecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 370
He bought the coach new in 2014 and took it to Lippert in December 2017 after having trouble with the front settling on/off for 3 years. Not sure if the coach was still under warranty. Lippert had the coach for 2 days and then my brother-in-law picked it up and went home. The most dangerous aspect to the legs dropping was while in transit.
__________________
Kittlecat
"Integrity simply means not violating one's own identity." Erich Fromm
"You have to understand who you are to know who you are not." Anonymous
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:30 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
We have a 2014 Cedar Creek 5th wheel with the Lippert hydraulic 6 point leveling system.



Recently the front landing gear has started to settle slowly after being set up... approximately 1/8" per day. Also when the gear is retracted when towing the front left (curb side) landing gear will extend slowly about an inch after we have been towing all day.



I inspected the system and found no hydraulic fluid leaking anywhere.



I called Lippert to help troubleshoot and they said to make sure the hydraulic cartridge valve on the right side landing gear was fully closed by turning counter clockwise with a 5/32 allen wrench. I was able to turn the valve about 1/4 turn or so but I don't know yet if it has fixed the problem. (I don't think so)



I'm afraid we may have an internal leak in the front left jack assembly. Lippert told me they do not sell parts to rebuild the jack assembly... if there is an internal leak I would need to buy a whole new jack assembly... they are very expensive and a pain to remove.



What if I do nothing and continue to re-level every few days? Are we risking a dangerous failure?

I was thinking of using more leveling blocks under the pads so we would only need to extend the jacks a couple on inches. That way if it did start settling faster the front could only lower a couple of inches.



Anyone have experience with this same problem?



What options do I have?



Thanks


They told us the same thing when ours was leaking. Found out later it can be fixed but it was too late for us.
Jokerbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:27 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerbgood View Post
They told us the same thing when ours was leaking. Found out later it can be fixed but it was too late for us.
Did Lippert not fix it because you were out of warranty?
__________________
2014 CC 34RLSA
2013 RAM 3500 Laramie CC SB 4x4 CTD
sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hydraulic

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.