Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #21

Smile One more secret

I read all the suggestions and agree to leave tanks closed, except if taking showers or laundry. Then leave grays open. Then shut them and fill the grays again to flush out Black. One secret once the black is empty and flushed add about 10 gal. of clean water so you have a water base BEFORE using it first time. That way what ever goes into Black tank will not get stuck to bottom of tank. I wish I knew that little secret when I owned my first truck slide-in. Just a little secret that shouldn't be a secret.
Also my 5th wheel didn't come with manuals. So I love the forum or YouTube.
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:02 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
Leaving a "P" trap in the line eliminates the "open line" and therefore any chance of methane gas running back up into the RV.
got
X2 We leave the grays open because we have a washer and do long showers. As for the black tank I suggest dumping every few days. I got lazy one week and didn't dump it. We were in Arizona close to 100 degrees and the tank started brewing with the heat. Didn't know how the smell got in but WOW!
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:16 AM   #23

I left the Black water valve open one night years ago after I had flushed the tank,,, used a toilet wand,,, when I went out in the am,,, dump tube was full of Maggots !!!
Live & Learn !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #24

Tanks open or closed

First off, are we talking grey & black tanks or propane tanks?
masterglenn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #25

Hi! I never leave my grays open all the time. I did one year on my old Bighorn and I got a build up of fuzz and Hair and my valves wouldn`t close properly (leak a little). We have a 2015 CK 34RL now and does your valves pull hard.
saltlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #26
Happy Camper

I learned the hard way about the "Pyramid of Poo". Keep the black tank closed and even if your tank guage does not work properly, you can take a look down in the tank as you flush. It may not be pretty but at least you will know when to pull the black valve.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:08 AM   #27

We are going north for a couple of days next week,,, and then back north for a couple of days in the middle of July,,, would you guys dump after the first trip,,, or hold it until after the July trip ???
Old 06-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #28

Surprise! Arrived in FL with a stuck black valve.

I resolved it by driving 50 miles round trip to CW and buying a clear sewer attachment with a hose jet spray attachment.

Worked. Lesson learned after many years of camping. At least have one end or other of sewer hose with. CLEAR short piece!

Ps: this THREAD has been very insightful as to all of the great experiences and remedies.

Yes, yesterday was a taxing day BUT
that was yesterday and yesterday is gone!! HAPPY CAMPER!! 😀
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #29
Happy Camper

Don't travel with a full or semi-full black tank if you can help it. Dump, flush tank, close valves, add a couple gallons of water and detergent to the black tank and let it slosh around cleaning while you travel.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:38 AM   #30

Probably good advice Happy,,, but our tanks will be far from full after 2 days,,, + there is only 2 of us !!! Thanks !!!
Old 06-10-2015, 09:49 AM   #31
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Typically takes the 2 of us about 4-5 days to fill the black before dumping. We use the flush every time while the black is draining the fill it with fresh water and drain again. As with many other full timers, we leave the greys open. Once a month, we close the grey valves, add a cleaner/deodorizer and allow the tanks to fill completely before emptying....it's worked for us for nearly two years now
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #32

Manual says: 2/3 full before dumping even if you have to add water to reach that point! Needs the back pressure force to clear tank.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #33

I think your right on Mel !!!
I think I will just wait till our 2nd trip,,, I added some Blue Stuff,,, and Water Softener... And plan to dump before we head home !!! Our local RV dealer has raised there dump charges to $15,,, little high if you ask me !!! @ our Country fair grounds you can dump for free !!! We will see !!! Thanks !!!

Tags
tank