Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #1

Furnace Filter is there one?

So I have a 31IK Silver Back and was wondering of there is a filter for the furnace that i can replace? If not what have some of you done to filter the air on your RV? My furnace is mounted behind my and below my pantry and there is about 3/4 of a inch clearance between the door furnace air intake grill so a regular filter will not fit as you can not close the door.
Or is there another intake area I have not found yet.
Kl859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #2

There is no filter associated with the furnace. Do not block off the louvers/grill leading to the furnace.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #3

A filter will not block air getting onto the louvers just slow it don abit or add resistance.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:14 PM   #4

I made a filter rack for my rig and installed a 14x16 filter to keep the dog hair and dirt out of the furnace. You could remove the girl and make a filter rack to hold the filter and then reinstall the grill easy to do
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:16 PM   #5

Sounds like a good idea and ingenious fix.
Thanks
Old 02-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #6
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kl859 View Post
Sounds like a good idea and ingenious fix.
Thanks
I would think that there is no filter for a reason. Adding a filter might cause more problems than it solves.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:14 PM   #7

The Mfg has chosen not to add a filter not because it might cause problems, but rather a cost cutting measure given the small amount of use a furnace gets in an RV. I have many years in the HVAC industry and have seen first hand what dog and cat hair do to a squirrel cage fan. I run a filter.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 02-24-2020, 02:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
The Mfg has chosen not to add a filter not because it might cause problems, but rather a cost cutting measure given the small amount of use a furnace gets in an RV. I have many years in the HVAC industry and have seen first hand what dog and cat hair do to a squirrel cage fan. I run a filter.
Thus is my feeling a cost thing and low use for many RVers. O am living in mine on the AZ high desert area and use mine everyday . The worse part of it is the air intake is right off the floor on the kitchen area high traffic and dirt.
I have drove remove my front grill to see about adding a filter of some kind and the squirrel cage fan was super dirty in just 4 months of use. I am buying a filter today or 2 yo add or cut down to fit my unit is much quieter now that it is cleaned.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:44 PM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
In the coach in our signature we have ceiling vents for A/C. Down the drivers side the ceiling vents take in air and have sponge inserts which we wash several times a year. We just pull the round louvers down and remove the sponges.

On the passenger side the ceiling vents are where the cooled air enters the coach.

We have no filter for the furnace floor vents, just for ceiling A/C.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #10
RV There Yet?

you can buy rolls of filter material to keep the ball bearings out of the furnace. I use something like this on the air return in my shop at home. works really well. i think ill make one for the camper now!

https://www.amazon.com/Allertech-Ven...s%2C152&sr=8-1
Old 02-24-2020, 04:18 PM   #11

It is very easy to make a filter to fit. I stick to standard furnace filters and cut them down to fit by pulling the cardboard frame cut the media then install the cut down frame back over the media and tape together. I have done this on many stick houses when I didn't have the right size filter.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 02-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #12

My return air is in the bedroom here is a pic of the filter rack I made to hold the filter in front of the return air very simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0440.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	223911  
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 02-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #13

Standard accusation for just about anything left off at the factory on RV's is "Cost Cutting".

Suburban, who makes the furnace in most cases says to not add an air filter. These small furnaces do not play well with reduced intake air to the heat exchanger and problems like cycling of the gas solenoid can occur.

Besides, there are so many other places air can be sucked in, some of them allowing a lot more foreign material than the "intake grille" all a filter does is force the furnace to suck air from them. On my TT air for the furnace can even be sucked in from the outside kitchen and up through the floor where wires pass through to the underbelly (which has vents to the outside).

Best approach is to have a vacuum and stay ahead of the pet hair or get breeds that don't shed.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:26 PM   #14

I mostly agree with TitanMike ... although it might make you suppose all furnace intake air goes thru the louvers ... it surely doesn't. Any filter will only be minimally effective. Take the rear wall down from your pass thru storage and you'll see the furnace draws air from not only inside the fiver, but the storage area as well as any hole or opening into the belly the floor has around the area your furnace is mounted. Believe me, your storage area is not sealed very well to the outside. This observation is not FR specific. All my Montanas had the same issue if not worse. Behind the rear storage wall, you could see right into the belly above the chloroplast panels.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Standard accusation for just about anything left off at the factory on RV's is "Cost Cutting".

Suburban, who makes the furnace in most cases says to not add an air filter. These small furnaces do not play well with reduced intake air to the heat exchanger and problems like cycling of the gas solenoid can occur.

Besides, there are so many other places air can be sucked in, some of them allowing a lot more foreign material than the "intake grille" all a filter does is force the furnace to suck air from them. On my TT air for the furnace can even be sucked in from the outside kitchen and up through the floor where wires pass through to the underbelly (which has vents to the outside).

Best approach is to have a vacuum and stay ahead of the pet hair or get breeds that don't shed.
can you point me to where Suburban says to not add an air filter. A filter in my experience on many different furnaces does not rase the bonnet temp that I have ever witnessed. Blocking supply vents or closing vents has a big effect. And given the amount of air leaks you and another poster claim is present a filter will have minimal effect while stopping the dog or cat hair.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 02-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #16
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

I agree. Those little squirrel cages have nowhere near the ability to take in air through a filter like your home furnace does. An air flow restriction could cause problems in the heat exchange process. Periodic cleaning is the best answer.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:08 PM   #17

Just went to the suburban write up and I could find nothing that said do not add a filter It did talk about ensuring there is no restricted air flow which in my experience means don't pile stuff in front of the return air. With that said my furnace works great with the filter I have no restricted air flow I did reduct all my supply runs.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
Old 02-24-2020, 06:22 PM   #18

SeaDog ... I don't think anyone was saying not to add a filter ... do what appeals to you. What TitanMike and I were pointing out was the furnace in our fivers can and do suck supply air from lots more places besides what goes thru the louvers. In your spare time, look behind your pass thru storage area's wall and you'll understand what we are saying.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:24 PM   #19

Good thread that has me now thinking of a way to use a somewhat coarse filter to catch those bigger items (e.g. pet hair) while still allowing good air flow. Will have to "engineer" something.

We hardly, though, ever use our furnace. Now granted we don't camp in the winter but late fall and early spring when heat is needed, we will use a couple small electric (milk house type) heaters. They keep the camper warm. Plus helps to save on propane costs (I'm cheap).
Old 02-24-2020, 06:29 PM   #20

All points taken I have made a filter from single layer filter to reduce intake of interior dust and dirt . Outside air may have dust but I doubt much pet hair and such .
Suburban says a low restriction filter change out regularly is ok and will extend furance life by keeping out the dust and such that fowls the intake and blower fan. But you must use low restriction and change out often.