Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #21

That is great thank you I will send the bill to Insignia.... like that will work.

Thank you for the link I will order them now.
Kl859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Seems like you are raising the bar. First you wanted a solution. Now, given one, you are looking for "gold plating."

Well, here it is. It turns out that Amazon only carries the black ones, but the Stoppaz company will sell you black or red at the same price. Try this link.
Looks like those may work ... I just went out and looked at ours we have a Magic Chef ... the handle is out far enough and all the way across there is no way I could turn them on with a hip or butt bump and the knobs are far from easy to turn even with your hands .... best of luck with a solution.
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Seems like you are raising the bar. First you wanted a solution. Now, given one, you are looking for "gold plating."

Well, here it is. It turns out that Amazon only carries the black ones, but the Stoppaz company will sell you black or red at the same price. Try this link.
Gold plating No red yes, I want a fix of higher caliber than what I have now.
As a Aircraft mechanic I buy manufactures parts as they are of the samexquality as originals. Unless said company makes a improved version to clear up the issues with said original.
Yes I by good things or at least I thought I did never had a problem the first month or so as did not have the gas even turned on, Cooked outside.
Enough said I am sorry if I have hurt anyones feelings, but I must say I put safety over feelings.
I do not want to bury my wife or kill both of us.

Thanks for all the replies and help.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:16 PM   #24
Site Team

Red paint......
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #25
New to FR. Old to TT

Every stove knob I have seen would pull off, it might take a bit of effort and using a small pry bar a little at a time on each side till it comes off. Just be patient and work slowly, it must pull off if you cant see a set screw,look with a flashlight. Good luck and enjoy your camper.
Tall frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kl859 View Post
I have 31IK with Insignia 3.7 cup ft gas range, NS-RNG24SS9. Also in stalled is a range hood microwave. So if you are removing it putting something in the microwave you will lean against the burner knobs which turns on the gas, you can also do this buy bumping a knob.
We went out to the store for 30 minutes and on return open the door to RV full of gas one knob was in the on position.
Now want to install a knob friction lock in a red color to prevent this. But in Insignias genius they did not make a way for you to remove their knobs.
I have looked at the manual ,inspected the knobs for a set screw or release level,button. Nothing I called Insignia and they do not have a solution to my problem.
I CAN NOT BELEIVE A COMPANY COULD ENGINEER SUCH IGORANCE,FOR LACK OF SAFETY. THIS COMPANY SHOULD BE DHUTDOWN AND ALL OF THESE UNITS REPLACED.
Anyone else have or seen this problem?
I have had several issues with poorly designed and engineered things in the RV . Now we have a annoying squeak just in front of the toilet on the floor and I am told this normal.
"NOT" this is poor design .this much money for something made so cheap.
Sign super pissed.
We just remove the knobs, and slip them back on as needed. After an incident with accidently turning a burner on, and lighting the oven. Whoosh!
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #27

As I said I tried to remove the knobs there is no set screw or button release I used a couple of wooden shines and a pry br nothing except plastic crackle.

I do not want to break them if they do come off during repairs the guy must be carrying a few spares.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Enough said I am sorry if I have hurt anyones feelings
I don't think you have hurt anyone's feelings. Actually this is a problem across multiple brands/stoves with the burner knobs getting accidentally turned on.

We have other threads about this, and I even have added it to the newbies thread we keep.

You can find it here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1290610

and here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-157524.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I don't think you have hurt anyone's feelings. Actually this is a problem across multiple brands/stoves with the burner knobs getting accidentally turned on.

We have other threads about this, and I even have added it to the newbies thread we keep.

You can find it here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1290610

and here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-157524.html
Thank you yes it is a big problem on Rvs,restaurants, and home appliances so why hasn't the government stepped in a major cut in campaign funds?
They must have the same issue in there homes.
It just amazes me if this made the 6 o'clock news a few times maybe that would help.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:38 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you yes it is a big problem on Rvs,restaurants, and home appliances so why hasn't the government stepped in a major cut in campaign funds?
They must have the same issue in there homes.
It just amazes me if this made the 6 o'clock news a few times maybe that would help.

Some things take a lot of time/money/technology to change and/or a big catastrophe...especially when it comes to safety.

When I was a kid, seatbelts weren't mandatory, there weren't childproof lids on medicine, you could ride a motorcycle without a helmet (still can in certain states), lead was in everything same as asbestos. Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems are a fairly new thing, but how long have tires been around?

If you want it changed, especially from a government mandate, then these forums won't be the answer. You will need to get in contact with those in government.

The members/community here can just inform others of the issue, and give you the knowledge to protect yourself and family.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:59 PM   #31

Very well spoken and so true, start at the grass roots level and get more people informed of the dangers, because now people have been living with this problem so long they think it is normal everyday non issue. As you said seat belts are in every car and in thec50s very few if any.
I really beleive that this knob fix is going to be real simple a reaitvily inexpensive.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:03 PM   #32

The DW has a beltline habit of brushing the knobs on our stove. On our last trip, she did it twice. We have an onboard sensor that goes off that tells me she did again. I agree with you this is an issue that should be investigated and corrected. Some of the fixes like lockout clips IMHO are the only temp. I can see them not being used on an everyday basis. Personally I would like to see something like a Push in and turn knob.
There has to be a way to remove the knobs. How would your service personnel be able to change out a gas valve without replacing the whole stove?

I don't remember the government agency by name. There should be a plaque near your door naming the agency that certified your unit.
Thanks for bringing this issue to the forum. Maybe we could get changes made to make it safer

With all that said. I'm a retired (pre-MAX) Boeing Quality Control/Assurance inspector
One thing that gets me annoyed, anyone bad mouthing Insp for quality issues. Yes, Insp does make errors/ miss items. But as a whole, they do a good job within the boundaries/ tolerance per their specifications. The design has a lot to do quality expected.

J. Moore USAF Vet / Retired QA Inspector Boeing Com Aircraft
ImQAJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:25 AM   #33

I agree with you about the inspector being bad mouthed. I beleivecthere are two kinds of inspectors thosecthatcwere trained by experience and maturity to be given this job and they take it seriously . And then there the others that do none of the above.
Thank you for your service .
Old 01-12-2020, 05:57 AM   #34

I bought an inexpensive set of childproof gas range knob covers from Amazon. Simple to install and they work fine.
wjrdmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:57 AM   #35
Citrus County, Fl.

Correct me if I am wrong but reading thru all of these posts I see no mention of the propane alarm being activated when it was mentioned. I would be more concerned with that. I would think with an "RV full of gas" the alarm would be shrieking.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #36

I never heard the alarm, I only smelled the gas when the door opened and pulled the fumes out.
I need to investigate that. I remember it was very cool in the RV as the thermostat set way down 45 so it never turned on that in know.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #37

Year?

Quote:
I never heard the alarm, I only smelled the gas when the door opened and pulled the fumes out.
I need to investigate that. I remember it was very cool in the RV as the thermostat set way down 45 so it never turned on that in know.
What year is your trailer? These alarms must be replaced every five years, you know. Has your expired? There is a date on the back side of it.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:47 PM   #38

No, not push and turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImQAJack View Post
Personally I would like to see something like a Push in and turn knob.
No, no! That can still be defeated inadvertently. What's needed is a pull out and turn knob. Try to turn that on with tummy or hip!
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:28 AM   #39

Report your concerns about the "Hip/Belly" turning on the gas accidently to the Consumer Product Safety Administration. Just tire problems should be reported to Safercar.com. I have the SaferCar APP on my phone.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:30 PM   #40

Stove guard oven lock

I purchased stove guard oven locks from Amazon. They are silicone and has a great grip. It is a wedge you place behind the knobs. It is designed to install with the knobs of, but with them on I could not read the flame position marks on the stove. I cut the bottoms so you will not need to remove the knobs to use them. When not in use I wedge the knobs entering from the top and pull them out completely when using the stove. The sad thing about this discusion is that the design on these knobs are very dangerous. We went camping for a week on our new e pro 19bh for the first time and accidentally turned on the gas twice. I complained to Forest River about this danger and told me they haven't experienced any complaints. I would hope they would investigate this poor design and correct it.
Vbf806 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burner, gas