Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2020, 10:46 PM   #41

Use a plastic clothespin

Would a plastic clothespin be narrow enough and long enough to work? Clip it to the shaft of the knob?
Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:27 PM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbf806 View Post
I complained to Forest River about this danger and told me they haven't experienced any complaints. I would hope they would investigate this poor design and correct it.
FR doesn't manufacture these stoves. They're made by suppliers that nearly all RV manufacturers use.
It would take FR, Thor Industries, Winnebago and others to refuse to purchase them from the stove manufacturers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:46 PM   #43

After trying all kinds of things to get the knobs off to install these silicone wedges I succeeded. I used a spray freon to super coll then heated the knobs while applying presure from a pry bar and bang it popped off three others were just as bad but the last one came away much easier.
So now we have the friction locks coming tomorrow and this range will be much safer .
Kl859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kl859 View Post
After trying all kinds of things to get the knobs off to install these silicone wedges I succeeded. I used a spray freon to super coll then heated the knobs while applying presure from a pry bar and bang it popped off three others were just as bad but the last one came away much easier.
So now we have the friction locks coming tomorrow and this range will be much safer .
What do the friction locks look like? Where did you get them from? Link?
Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #45

They are called "Stoppaz " on Amazon
They are a simple elongated "U" shaped device that slips behind the knob it is made like a shim or door stop tapered to to fill in the gap behind the knob. Being made of silicone it is rubbery so it stays in place and will bind the knob from turning so easy .
To use the range slide the Stoppaz out from behind the knob and use as normal.
Kl859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kl859 View Post
I have 31IK with Insignia 3.7 cup ft gas range, NS-RNG24SS9. Also in stalled is a range hood microwave. So if you are removing it putting something in the microwave you will lean against the burner knobs which turns on the gas, you can also do this buy bumping a knob.
We went out to the store for 30 minutes and on return open the door to RV full of gas one knob was in the on position.
Now want to install a knob friction lock in a red color to prevent this. But in Insignias genius they did not make a way for you to remove their knobs.
I have looked at the manual ,inspected the knobs for a set screw or release level,button. Nothing I called Insignia and they do not have a solution to my problem.
I CAN NOT BELEIVE A COMPANY COULD ENGINEER SUCH IGORANCE,FOR LACK OF SAFETY. THIS COMPANY SHOULD BE DHUTDOWN AND ALL OF THESE UNITS REPLACED.
Anyone else have or seen this problem?
I have had several issues with poorly designed and engineered things in the RV . Now we have a annoying squeak just in front of the toilet on the floor and I am told this normal.
"NOT" this is poor design .this much money for something made so cheap.
Sign super pissed.
We were able to get the knobs off and put on the Safety First Child Protective Covers on our Insignia NS-RNG24SS9 Four Burner Stove. They actually just pull off, although it was not easy to do. They are on there pretty tight! Putting them back on was just about as difficult.
Kizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #47

Just loading tt for a trip and noticed that one stove burner was on! I have no idea how long this has been! Fortuanatel I had installed a gas shut off on the stove propane line and keep it off whenever the stove is not in use. My best investment ever.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:38 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMark View Post
Just loading tt for a trip and noticed that one stove burner was on! I have no idea how long this has been! Fortuanatel I had installed a gas shut off on the stove propane line and keep it off whenever the stove is not in use. My best investment ever.
That is the reason we put Safety First Child Protective Covers on the knobs. I was constantly finding we had accidentally turned the burners on.
Kizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:54 AM   #49

My story, this happened in my Sunseeker. I had my grandkids my son his wife and mine on a weekend trip. My granddaughter was little and in a crib on the floor. My son or his wife barely brushed a burner knob going to the bathroom.

Luckily my alarm went off and I had just replaced it before this trip. Without the alarm my granddaughter would have passed away first.

I also had a major outside leak on a Rockwood roo years ago that could have caught fire and fried my wife and I. Road debris cut it.

My solution is that every night before bed time I turn off the propane. I will not leave it on again. Even still I have a backup alarm in my bedroom and I can heat my Creek w the heat pump, electric fireplace and the small electric heater in the bedroom.

I also have a leak check done once per year since the Roo incident.Downside is I have to be up first to turn it back on but it’s worth piece of mind.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:51 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
My solution is that every night before bed time I turn off the propane. I will not leave it on again.
Mike
I can understand about how over cautious you are from the situations that have happened to you. My only question for you is "If you turn off the propane at night, how do you run your furnace on those cold nights when it gets down close to freezing?"

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burner, gas