Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #1

Gas range burner knobs

I have 31IK with Insignia 3.7 cup ft gas range, NS-RNG24SS9. Also in stalled is a range hood microwave. So if you are removing it putting something in the microwave you will lean against the burner knobs which turns on the gas, you can also do this buy bumping a knob.
We went out to the store for 30 minutes and on return open the door to RV full of gas one knob was in the on position.
Now want to install a knob friction lock in a red color to prevent this. But in Insignias genius they did not make a way for you to remove their knobs.
I have looked at the manual ,inspected the knobs for a set screw or release level,button. Nothing I called Insignia and they do not have a solution to my problem.
I CAN NOT BELEIVE A COMPANY COULD ENGINEER SUCH IGORANCE,FOR LACK OF SAFETY. THIS COMPANY SHOULD BE DHUTDOWN AND ALL OF THESE UNITS REPLACED.
Anyone else have or seen this problem?
I have had several issues with poorly designed and engineered things in the RV . Now we have a annoying squeak just in front of the toilet on the floor and I am told this normal.
"NOT" this is poor design .this much money for something made so cheap.
Sign super pissed.
Kl859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #2

This is something both me and the wife have done.

All I can say is I feel ya. Welcome to the pissed off side of the RV world.

Regarding the floor squeak. We had a squeak just outside the bathroom. I found that it was the aluminum framing rubbing up and down on a beam cross member. I tightened all the self tapping screws, and replaced many which were stripped. Once I found the one aluminum joist that was squeaking I put a small plastic no rot shim under it. The hardest part of this was getting to the spot to place the shim. I could show you pictures in our unit where every screw in the subfloor missed an aluminum joist. Just plain piss poor workman ship and even worse quality assurance.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:43 AM   #3
Site Team

What do you mean " I called Insignia and they do not have a solution to my problem."
Did they tell you specifically the gas valve knobs could not be removed?
or
Did they tell you they don't offer a lockable safety knob replacement?
Big difference.

I find it hard to imagine the knob cannot be removed somehow.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:45 PM   #4

When I call insignia they downloaded the manuals for the range and as I could not find a removal procedure, so I asked if they had or sold protective knob covers , and they said no. I asked how they could sell a product that is unsafe to the public ?
They. Said they were a dealer not a manufacturer and I would have to ask them. I told them it is made in China my scorn and as far I was concerned they were the manufacturer and they should be telling them of this flaw and ask for a fix. And this fix should be available to the people who bought RVs with there productvinstalled in it.
He took large amount of notes of my complaint and said they forwarded these type of concerns on to the manufacturers engineering department.
We need more people to do the same to get a fix going and and a safety replacement recall started.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #5

Also Insignia sounded like this the first they have ever heard of this problem. I asked looking atcyourcIPC illustrated parts breakdown , how would ever change out say one bad burner tube assembly? You can change all the burner components but not a whole assembly. He and his supervisor had no idea how to do this. I asked how do you make this rangecchildcproof ? No reply, was it ever tested to be child proof? No reply.
Terrible quality control,and assurance ,like non at all. It looks as thought we the consumer are there consumer protection agency. I need to do some research to find out what Federal agency I need to contact about this and other below par building practices are being passed on to the consumer.
As I told them I paid much less for my Mini Van and I can go to any state,town and get repairs completed under warranty with no service charge, and after warranty at a fair price.
If I have to take this to a service center and I am a full time how pays for my hotel,who guards all my belongings, make sure my food does not spoil, ???
No reply....as the authorized service center had no response either.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:56 PM   #6

My gas knobs at home are the same thing. You can turn them on by mistake. Lots of things are unsafe in an RV, or a home, if you aren't careful, I guess.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #7

In our home all of our knobs can be removed to clean,repair, or install child proofing. I just think this is a poor design ,and lack of for thought , engineered by dallor cost averaging, or as John Glen said about the lack of comfort while being launched in a craft built by the lowest bidder.....
Old 01-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #8
Site Team

I hear what you're saying but ... are you bound and determined to hate your camper?? Most of us around here camp for fun and recreation and we don't hate our rigs.
No way I can make you like yours.... not sure what you're trying to accomplish here? My LP stove has front controls also. My microwave is over the range.
I don't lean into the burner knobs when I'm messing with the microwave.
I have never had a trailer that didn't squeak somewhere.

Just be careful. Relax and enjoy the camping experience.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #9

Encountered same problem. My fix may not suit everyone, but.....We use our stove very seldom - we prefer to cook outside. So, my solution is based on not needing the stove often. I installed a shut off valve in the supply line to the stove just under the stove outside, Yes this requires a trip outside but I only have to do that a couple of times a year and my stove is super safe.....
Old 01-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kl859 View Post
In our home all of our knobs can be removed to clean,repair, or install child proofing. I just think this is a poor design ,and lack of for thought , engineered by dallor cost averaging, or as John Glen said about the lack of comfort while being launched in a craft built by the lowest bidder.....

And yet he chose to be launched. And was proud he did it for the rest of his life. Happy about it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I hear what you're saying but ... are you bound and determined to hate your camper?? Most of us around here camp for fun and recreation and we don't hate our rigs.
No way I can make you like yours.... not sure what you're trying to accomplish here? My LP stove has front controls also. My microwave is over the range.
I don't lean into the burner knobs when I'm messing with the microwave.
I have never had a trailer that didn't squeak somewhere.

Just be careful. Relax and enjoy the camping experience.
I get what you are saying but if I was to think like you then it would be ok to get taken advantage of for 50k.
Do you drive a unsafe vehicle? Or live in a unsafe home. Do you allow a repairman to do just a OK job then you pay him for it? Do you just hope that airplane tech did everything correctly as you taxi out to go fly at 35000 ft? I think not or you would be a fool.
The knobs may not bother you like me I am 6 1 and can get to the microwave easy. My wife is small 52 on a good day and it is hard for her to put in orcremove items without or impossible to lean into the range. In fact she has had hot food spill on her, r that is why she dislikes this design but understands the need for lack of space.
This is a small feature that could be fixed with the installation of a Allen screw . Is that so hard?
It does not bother you I get that as far as hating the RV I do not there are way more pluses than negatives. But I beleive you should get what you pay for and also receive service after the sale.
The same as when you buy a car. Do you you think recalls for say a faulty air bag is dumb? I hope not.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:11 PM   #12
2012 Solera

Don’t know about Insignia. My brother-in-law made something for my Suburban on his 3-D printer that works great - similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Stove-Stoppaz.../dp/B01NC31TBH

Looks like several similar things now available both at Amazon and at Home Depot. Maybe you can find one that will work with the Insignia?

FYI
Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
And yet he chose to be launched. And was proud he did it for the rest of his life. Happy about it.
Because he had confidence in the boat load of inspectors and engineers that put safety first. Along with a ton courage .
A great man and a great statesman.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Don’t know about Insignia. My brother-in-law made something for my Suburban on his 3-D printer that works great - similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Stove-Stoppaz.../dp/B01NC31TBH

Looks like several similar things now available both at Amazon and at Home Depot. Maybe you can find one that will work with the Insignia?

FYI
Jim
Yes I saw those but did you notice in black only? My wife wants something in Red to alert her to use them.
In fact this is how I found out the knobs can not be removed. As in my first post.
I wish I had a 3D printer in my RV ...
Old 01-11-2020, 03:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMark View Post
Encountered same problem. My fix may not suit everyone, but.....We use our stove very seldom - we prefer to cook outside. So, my solution is based on not needing the stove often. I installed a shut off valve in the supply line to the stove just under the stove outside, Yes this requires a trip outside but I only have to do that a couple of times a year and my stove is super safe.....
During warm periods we do the same but it was 19 this morning and only going to 47 ish we are at 4800 ft around Prescott AZ , so outside cooking is a option in a month or two. Great fix though get for thought.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #16
D W

Sorry, don't have an answer for you other than improvise, adapt and overcome. That's what the rest of us do.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:33 PM   #17

If my RV was older and I have had it and was out of warranty I would do that but this RV is less than 4 months old, only 2k miles on it. So i am just suppose to walk away and let them walk over me and all others that but these ranges in the future?

What response would you have for the family that has there RV blow up and maybe kill them or others near by?

Over come , nice I saw that movie .
Old 01-11-2020, 03:43 PM   #18
Site Team

Seems to me like you could just cut a piece of foam pool noodle, and insert it in a way similar to the product on Amazon, that would act as a wedge to keep the knob from being pushed in or turned

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #19

In red?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kl859 View Post
Yes I saw those but did you notice in black only? My wife wants something in Red to alert her to use them.
In fact this is how I found out the knobs can not be removed. As in my first post.
I wish I had a 3D printer in my RV ...
Seems like you are raising the bar. First you wanted a solution. Now, given one, you are looking for "gold plating."

Well, here it is. It turns out that Amazon only carries the black ones, but the Stoppaz company will sell you black or red at the same price. Try this link.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:46 PM   #20

Great idea a densecfloor kitchen pad would work also. Just need a good color or add a tag.

Tags
burner, gas