Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2020, 03:00 PM   #1

Generator

We own a 40' 5th wheel and asking if this would run at least on air conditioning units? Any recommendations most helpful. Also where do you keep something this big? At 62 I'm not strong enough to man handle this think. Please don't respond if you're going to make fun of me. Understand this is all new to me when it comes to generators.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078964VVX...ing=UTF8&psc=1
TexasGolfBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:07 PM   #2

IF I remember my electrical training correctly: You have a 5-er so I will assume that you have 50 service. IF you are connected to a 120vAC power source and have 50 amp service then 120vAC x 50 amp show you would pull 6000 watts at full power usage. You are looking at a 7500 watt "rated" genny. IMO-the chances that you would ever utilize every electrical circuit in the 5-er is not likely so I will stick my neck out and say that YES that genny would run your camper sufficiently. I have a TT with 30 amp service and use a 6500 rated genny and have not had any problem even with the A/C, some lights, and the microwave in intermittent use.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:16 PM   #3

This is an open frame generator. Designed for construction sites where noise is not an issue. Illegal in Parks. Likely 100-200% louder.

It takes 1600 watts to run one air conditioner. However it takes about 3000 watts to start it. Thus you need about a 3000 watt inverter. If you modify the ac unit with a Micro Aire easy start you can start the ac with a smaller 2200 watt unit.

However you have to shut all other electrical users off to do so.

A 2200 watt Honda for example weighs about #50. Get to 3000 watts with electric start and you are well over #100. So many folks parallel to Honda 2200's to power their ac units. I can no longer put a #100 generator in the bed of our truck. The DW is not to be trusted helping lift them anymore.

There are other brands. The Honda is the most expensive and likely the best of that class. Many others are swell.

Confused yet?

In our fifth wheel we have a Honda 2200 and a modified ac unit. Never used for ac though. Mostly to work on the unit on the lot. We are glampers. The Honda insures mom will have her coffee in the morning.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:22 PM   #4

Technically speaking you rv is rated for 12,000 watts. Two 50 amp circuits.

Most folks conserve electricity and operate with smaller units. My fiver can go 2 days with no 110 volt power. So the generator is really a back up.

You have to manage your power usage.

We love 30amp(3600 watts) campsites in State Parks. The DW is a master at balancing electric loads.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGolfBum View Post
We own a 40' 5th wheel and asking if this would run at least on air conditioning units? Any recommendations most helpful. Also where do you keep something this big? At 62 I'm not strong enough to man handle this think. Please don't respond if you're going to make fun of me. Understand this is all new to me when it comes to generators.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078964VVX...ing=UTF8&psc=1
That generator is NOT appropriate for campground usage. Its noise level exceeds the National Park's noise levels and will exceed every other campground's max.
It's fine for Boondocking though.
If you want one for campground usage, you need an INVERTER generator. I would recommend two 2000w+ inverter generators paralled, for 4000w max power. They will weigh around 50lbs each and are much more manageable. You have tons of choices for this kind of setup, with Honda and Yamaha at the top.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #6

The Harbor Freight and Champion gennys are good too.

You'll find real quickly that the inverter generators are about twice the money per watt compared to those contractor generators.

Also, the inverter generators are much better on sensitive stuff like your microwave and such, the contractor generators are "good enough" for running power tools and lights.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:13 PM   #7
Always Learning

The above answers are spot on. It's going to be loud, very loud.

Power-wise, it'll be fine. To run a single air conditioner, you can get away with smaller generators. I got away with it on a Honda 2000, though I had to have most every other breaker off. Having a pair of 2000w generators paired together was nice as they were easy to move around. It'll give you enough to comfortably run a single A/C and left over power to run other household items.

See if this article helps:
https://learntorv.com/generators/
Old 12-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #8

Santa came early to our house! Even though our TT won't come in until early next year, we didn't want to miss the great deal on this Dual Fuel Firman Invertor generator at Costco. From the reviews, I think I'm going to love it. Looking to snag a second for running in parallel.

Anyone know if I can run this off of my propane quick connect with the right adapter? My rig will be a Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHSBL.Click image for larger version

Name:	20201214_152026.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	244618
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:59 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The above answers are spot on. It's going to be loud, very loud.
Yep, manufacturer specs say 74db. OUCH!
A Honda inverter generator will be 20db quieter, which is HUGE, on the logarithmic scale.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuB-IA2MI View Post
Santa came early to our house! Even though our TT won't come in until early next year, we didn't want to miss the great deal on this Dual Fuel Firman Invertor generator at Costco. From the reviews, I think I'm going to love it. Looking to snag a second for running in parallel.

Anyone know if I can run this off of my propane quick connect with the right adapter? My rig will be a Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHSBL.Attachment 244618
I'd like to hear how it goes. I did a bunch of research and found some really awful reviews on Firman gennies.

You can't run the generator off the quick connect unfortunately. That's a low-pressure feed and it will not allow the genny to run, assuming you are talking about the quick connect for your grill.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:47 PM   #11

A better choice (at least one)

Rather than one open frame generator @74 dba (which is LOUD) consider a par of 3500 W Champions that can be connected in parallel. Each is capable of running one A/C unit on it's own and connected in parallel will run two with 7,000 Watt peak output. Continuous output will be less at ~6200 watts (in parallel).

Each generator is rated at 68 dba which is about the same as a vacuum cleaner @23 feet. Less as distance increases from generator.

These are inverter type generators and will operate at lower speeds with less noise output. I have one that measures down around 52 dba at 23-25 ft.

Cost? Around $1,000 each plus parallel kit which would still be less than some.

I've been running Champion generators since 2005 and couldn't be happier with their dependability and cost. The three times I've contacted their Customer Service Dept (one for high altitude jet, one for carb issue, and one new air filters) they were quick with answers and the parts they sent me were FREE.

As said earlier, chances are you will not need more than one 3500 w generator unless boondocking in hot areas where extra power is needed for two A/C units but here's an option for you to consider.

BTW the price I mentioned is for Dual Fuel units that have Electric Start. Both are great to have.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
I'd like to hear how it goes. I did a bunch of research and found some really awful reviews on Firman gennies.

You can't run the generator off the quick connect unfortunately. That's a low-pressure feed and it will not allow the genny to run, assuming you are talking about the quick connect for your grill.
Actually there are a lot of people that are doing just that. Numerous posts on this forum of people who have, the parts they needed, and where they sourced them.

Here's a video of one running directly from the low pressure line on a TT.

The one important thing is that the TT's regulator needs to provide sufficient flow (Btu's) to run the generator at it's maximum load.

(This is for a Champion but they all use a similar system for their Dual Fuel "Carbs")

Old 12-14-2020, 05:59 PM   #13

100% agree with TitanMike, I have used that same generator , Champion is a solid brand and quiet too! Stay away from the open construction generators, Id be surprised if you need 2 of them running.
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:22 PM   #14

we have a 40 ft 5th wheel with two a/c's. we are able to run both from our onan 5500 lp generator. yes it is built in and costs more than the portable units that you are looking at. but you don't have to worry about lugging it around.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #15

The 2200 inverters will use less gas than the 3500-7500 generators. My Roybi 2200 inverter uses about a 1/2 gallon to run 6-7 hours vs my Pro 3500 generator using about 2 1/2 gallons to run 10-11 hours when both are running to charge batteries and CPAP through the night.

My 2200 will also start and run my A/C that has an easy start on it. It can be connected in parallel to gain the 4000-4500 that you will most likely need occasionally. Initial cost will be slightly higher getting two inverters vs a single, but weight wise they will be easier to handle.

You definitely want an inverter vs the generator due to it will be easier on your unit's electronic equipment.

Good luck and be safe.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Actually there are a lot of people that are doing just that. Numerous posts on this forum of people who have, the parts they needed, and where they sourced them.

Here's a video of one running directly from the low pressure line on a TT.

The one important thing is that the TT's regulator needs to provide sufficient flow (Btu's) to run the generator at it's maximum load.

(This is for a Champion but they all use a similar system for their Dual Fuel "Carbs")
I have that exact generator and it will not run off my port for the grill.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
I have that exact generator and it will not run off my port for the grill.
Just curious, are you using JUST a hose from grille port to generator or are you using the regulator that came with the generator as well?

Also, if you are using just a hose with no regulator, have you checked to see if your main regulator is large enough. I replaced the one that came on my TT with a Marshall 235,000 btu regulator.

Lastly, it's possible the regulator pressure is low. Even my new regulator was set low and when measuring with manometer had to dial it up from 9" WC.

Old 12-15-2020, 05:40 PM   #18

Thank you. I love the idea of an electric start
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Rather than one open frame generator @74 dba (which is LOUD) consider a par of 3500 W Champions that can be connected in parallel. Each is capable of running one A/C unit on it's own and connected in parallel will run two with 7,000 Watt peak output. Continuous output will be less at ~6200 watts (in parallel).

Each generator is rated at 68 dba which is about the same as a vacuum cleaner @23 feet. Less as distance increases from generator.

These are inverter type generators and will operate at lower speeds with less noise output. I have one that measures down around 52 dba at 23-25 ft.

Cost? Around $1,000 each plus parallel kit which would still be less than some.

I've been running Champion generators since 2005 and couldn't be happier with their dependability and cost. The three times I've contacted their Customer Service Dept (one for high altitude jet, one for carb issue, and one new air filters) they were quick with answers and the parts they sent me were FREE.

As said earlier, chances are you will not need more than one 3500 w generator unless boondocking in hot areas where extra power is needed for two A/C units but here's an option for you to consider.

BTW the price I mentioned is for Dual Fuel units that have Electric Start. Both are great to have.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:44 PM   #19

Thank you very much. I'm learning a lot here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
That generator is NOT appropriate for campground usage. Its noise level exceeds the National Park's noise levels and will exceed every other campground's max.
It's fine for Boondocking though.
If you want one for campground usage, you need an INVERTER generator. I would recommend two 2000w+ inverter generators paralled, for 4000w max power. They will weigh around 50lbs each and are much more manageable. You have tons of choices for this kind of setup, with Honda and Yamaha at the top.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:24 PM   #20

A lot of these rv questions are sort of hard to answer.

Too many choices.

You got to get data and make a decision.

Tags
generator