Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #1

Girard tankless water heater

Pros and cons???
snbbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snbbaxter View Post
Pros and cons???
This was from a previous post by a different poster but covers it pretty well...

"You can not even mention residential on demand water heaters and rv on demand water heaters in the same sentence.
Residential is instant on, rv has a 30 sec. time delay every time plus the water temperature rises very slow over 15 to 20 sec. or so.
If you have a washing machine in your rv that takes small bursts of hot water you'll be out of luck, it simply doesn't work.
If you have a dishwasher hooked up on hot water, same deal.
If you're in the shower and someone opens any tap anywhere the water flow is being reduced to below the threshold of 1/2 gpm. the water heater shuts down.
You pay for propane even when you pay for electricity at the campground.
Trying to conserve water? Forget it, you can't shut it off while you wash your *** and turn it back on expecting to come out nice and warm, no it will be ice cold for the next 40 seconds.
Another huge problem, especially for fulltimers, can be calcification of the heater tubes which is not nearly the problem in a conventional hot water tank where you have easy access from the outside.
On the plus side, your rv weighs about 50 lbs less, depending on the water heater size.

I apologize for the rant, but this is our personal experience with the Girard 2nd. Generation and FR has authorized our dealer to replace the on demand water heater with a conventional hot water tank."

2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
sh1pper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #3

Thank you this is very helpful. Hopefully FR will change ours out too
Old 03-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #4

You'll find a handful of RVers that have had good experiences with them ... mostly full timers that don't travel much. They are finicky for the most part as to flow and pressure of the water supply. You are stuck with propane usage instead of having the option to heat your water electrically. Heartland manufacturing has quit installing them on their units unless asked for by the buyer if that tells anything.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
You'll find a handful of RVers that have had good experiences with them ... mostly full timers that don't travel much. They are finicky for the most part as to flow and pressure of the water supply. You are stuck with propane usage instead of having the option to heat your water electrically. Heartland manufacturing has quit installing them on their units unless asked for by the buyer if that tells anything.

Thank you, we haven’t tried. It yet so we’ll see. We will be going to frog in Hemet ca in May, so we’ll probably talk to F R then if alls bad
Old 04-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #6

Update:
We love the tankless water heater. The secret is to set water temp on the bathroom wall to desired temp. Never turn on the cold water and you have a wonderful hot shower or water. No problem
Old 04-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #7

Everyone's satisfaction level is different ... do you also love having to always use your propane for hot water when you already paid for electricity with your site fee?
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #8

Ok, ya got me there[emoji23]
Old 04-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by snbbaxter View Post
Update:
We love the tankless water heater. The secret is to set water temp on the bathroom wall to desired temp. Never turn on the cold water and you have a wonderful hot shower or water. No problem
Glad it worked out for you...bet you haven't had a low water pressure situation yet?
Old 04-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #10

Nope
Old 07-27-2018, 04:44 PM   #11

Very unhappy with my Girard 3rd gen. Inconsistent hot/cold water. Random errors when turning water on. Doesn't work anything like any water heater I have used, tank or tankless, in my 60+ years. I got an E5 error and it quit working altogether. Tried to contact Girard no luck. Called the only two dealers listed on their website and neither of them worked on them. My RV dealer does not work on them. Called FR and they could not get to it until October. Asked me if I wanted anything in place of fixing it - I guess a thermal wetsuit and disposable eating ware? I pulled out and replaced with a traditional Suburban tank water heater. Tried and true. The Girard is all boxed up and heading to Goshen with all the bills for my new heater.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #12

Cedar Creek is easy to work with on replacing that worthless Girard. I asked for a 10 gallon instead of the 12 they offer. Recovery is quicker and less to keep hot when idle, and it is all the hot water we need without a washing machine. I suspect the Girard will be an option instead of standard on future Champagne editions.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1pper View Post
Cedar Creek is easy to work with on replacing that worthless Girard. I asked for a 10 gallon instead of the 12 they offer. Recovery is quicker and less to keep hot when idle, and it is all the hot water we need without a washing machine. I suspect the Girard will be an option instead of standard on future Champagne editions.

I guess you had better luck than I did. They said it would be October before they could fit me in. I just can't go 3 months without hot water. Had to replace it myself on my dime under warranty. I will pay them a visit in a couple of weeks.

Tags
heater, tank, tankless, water, water heater