Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 10:09 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
The G614 have the 2nd best reputation and cost double the ones with the best reputation. Put Sailun S637 on and be a very happy camper.
Good description. Tariffs may change the price proportions, but that's unclear and another discussion.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:11 PM   #42

Larger tires, rims with more plies

While our situation may have been extreme - a blowout on the road, we replaced the low quality OEM tires with 4 Transeagle 14 ply AND went up a size to 235/80r16 so the 5th wheel was more level on a Ram 3500. Had to buy new rims to. Very $$$$ but happy.

Check the tire pressure though. The trailer sticker will say, for example, 65 psi. And the service people will probably inflate to that pressure.

These tires run at 110psi. Running at 110psi, the load rating per tire is 4400 lbs so we are no longer right at the load limit of the tires with an Arctic Wolf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190620_190957.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	208735  
jcschultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:42 PM   #43

I had the Westlakes on my Nitro XL 5er Toy Hauler and ran them for almost three years all over the country but always had a bad feeling about them cause they are made in China. They are imported thru Canada to USA. I had a blowout with our previous camper and ended up using Maxxis tires on that camper. I am currently using Goodyear Commercial Unisteel® G947 RSS™ in size LT245/75R16 featuring Armor MAX on my Nitro XL 5er Toy Hauler. That size is exactly the same size profile as the ST235/80R16. After doing extensive research and asking multiple dealers that sell and mount tires for campers and trailers I felt going to a LT tire was the best thing to do. These tires are bullet proof commercial rib tires. They are incased in steel in the tread and sidewalls and retreadable. These tires are much like the Michelins and Bridgestone rib tires in that they weigh almost 56lbs each and are incased in steel. I have been running them going on two years now and have had zero issues and you can't even see one bit of wear. A guy I work with has a 3 axle Raptor toy hauler and he is running the new G-rated Carlisle tires and has zero issues after he had serious blowouts running the Chinese bombs that came with it. Personally I would not use any of the tires in this thread except the Michelin Ribs and the Goodyears. One thing to think about too is pressure. My GY G947 RSS tires are running at 80psi and the some of the other tires listed here are running at 110psi. If you have a blowout with a 110psi tire the chance of even more serious damage is going to occur than running tires at 80psi. Good luck in your decision!
JColeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #44

I had Westlakes (Load range E) on my toy hauler, replaced them after 4 years with Sailun S637 Load range "G".
Very happy with the Sailuns.

US Army Retired
Tx_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:27 AM   #45

Tires

I bought SALOUN tires from simple tire 3 years ago and they are great tires...they were delivered fast and i feel much safer with them on my rv....
Old 07-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #46

Tires

Well as fate has it I have been doing the same research on my 38FL. So here's my 2 cents worth.

Currently I have the G614s (LT235/85 R16 G 126/123L) on and were new on the trailer and now long overdue. After reading and reading,The light bulb came on and called my brother who is a Tire sales rep in a small, couple tire store locations and handles commercial accounts (Coal mine and quarry work) along with day to day use.

1st he asked whats GVW of trailer, as their policy is to size the tire to the trailer weight with NOT using the hitch deduction. (GVW16550#, Hitch is 2550#)

Asked him on other tires out there including the Sailun 637ST (ST235/85R16 G 132/127L).
Sailun was the recommendation in that despite everything near matching the G614 the Load capacity of 4400# vs 3750# gave me the final piece of mind. The Main driver is the GVW of the trailer on tires. Sailun is a Semi tire which they install regularly.

Next I asked him on air pressures, he concurred with multiple trailer folks on the MAX air pressure discussions. Recommendation, depending on the haul, location and time of year stay 10-15# below the Max to allow for expansion. (taking readings on the road my tires were holding at about 107# pulling across New Mexico and West Texas sun.
gjldel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #47
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydansir533 View Post
Actually, although made in China, the G-rated Westlake tires are pretty good. There’s probably not an urgent need to replace them.

Actually Westlake, like many other St tires are "private Brand" with the name owned by importcompanies. The best way to learn about who actually makes a tire is to check the actual plant code which is the first two characters of the DOT serial.
You can then look HERE to see who & where the tire was actually made.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #48
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjldel10 View Post
Well as fate has it I have been doing the same research on my 38FL. So here's my 2 cents worth.

Currently I have the G614s (LT235/85 R16 G 126/123L) on and were new on the trailer and now long overdue. After reading and reading,The light bulb came on and called my brother who is a Tire sales rep in a small, couple tire store locations and handles commercial accounts (Coal mine and quarry work) along with day to day use.

1st he asked whats GVW of trailer, as their policy is to size the tire to the trailer weight with NOT using the hitch deduction. (GVW16550#, Hitch is 2550#)

Asked him on other tires out there including the Sailun 637ST (ST235/85R16 G 132/127L).
Sailun was the recommendation in that despite everything near matching the G614 the Load capacity of 4400# vs 3750# gave me the final piece of mind. The Main driver is the GVW of the trailer on tires. Sailun is a Semi tire which they install regularly.

Next I asked him on air pressures, he concurred with multiple trailer folks on the MAX air pressure discussions. Recommendation, depending on the haul, location and time of year stay 10-15# below the Max to allow for expansion. (taking readings on the road my tires were holding at about 107# pulling across New Mexico and West Texas sun.

No need to lower the pressure to "allow for expansion". When designing a tire we allow for that and in fact the increase in psi can help a tire run better under load.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 07-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #49

My '14 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS came with the Goodyear G614 and highly recommend this tire. Yes, they are pricey, but having the known reliability is worth it to me. I just installed a TPMS since the tires are on their 5th year and want to try and catch an issue before a tire failure and one thing I was surprised to notice is that the tires will increase in pressure 15 PSI while going down the road. I've always followed the manufactured specs of 110 PSI cold but not sure I like 125 PSI rolling at 65-70 mph. Next trip, I'm going to reduce my cold pressure to 105 and see what difference, if any it makes. Has anyone else noticed similiar increases in cold vs hot tire PSI?
Old 07-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #50

Just like your truck, follow the manufacturers tire pressure recommendation, not the tire rating. My Cardinal 5th whelk specifies 80 lbs. I have pulled it for 14 years with no issues.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gos5 View Post
My '14 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS came with the Goodyear G614 and highly recommend this tire. Yes, they are pricey, but having the known reliability is worth it to me. I just installed a TPMS since the tires are on their 5th year and want to try and catch an issue before a tire failure and one thing I was surprised to notice is that the tires will increase in pressure 15 PSI while going down the road. I've always followed the manufactured specs of 110 PSI cold but not sure I like 125 PSI rolling at 65-70 mph. Next trip, I'm going to reduce my cold pressure to 105 and see what difference, if any it makes. Has anyone else noticed similiar increases in cold vs hot tire PSI?

Of course. Every time.

I just changed my tires to 17.5" H rated, 125psi cold. I need the additional support.

I will air to about 120 and set the high psi alarm on TPMS to about 140.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #52
Commercial Member

Quote:

NO Please do not lower the pressure. All tires warm up when driven on and increasing tire temperature will increase pressure (about 2% per 10°F).
We tire engineers know the pressure will increase and we depend on that happening.
You say the "MFG spec" is that the tire company or RV company?

Do you know the actual scale load on each end of each axle? As I cover in many posts on inflation on my blog we need to know the actual load on motorhome tires before we can identify the minimum inflation.

BUT Trailers are different. They should be inflated to the pressure on the tire sidewall. In fact, my weekly blog post that goes live Saturdays focused on this topic.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #53

Quote:
We have the G614 tires as well and see 15 psi increase when hot. The original specs on the camper call for Load Range E tires at 80psi so when I switched to the G614s, I decided to run 100psi cold which gets us to 115. Now when we get our new 37MBH this weekend and I replace the tires with G614s on Monday, I'll run 110psi cold.
jd4010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er, tire, tires