Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #1

Gonna beat this topic again.... Tires for 5er

I know it's all over the place, but I've been researching tires for 4 hrs, and don't really want to search here again for it. I'm looking at the Taskmaster Provider ST235/80R/16. Anyone running these? If so what do you think? I have a friend who put them on his 5er and he absolutely loves them.

Just trying to decide on a good tire vs the G rated china bombs I'm running now Westlake ST235/85R16 .
Old 06-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #2

On a forum you're going to get all kinds of answers, some good, some not so much.

This is where a good tire dealer comes in handy. Especially a long time established independent. They've seen what works and what doesn't.
They'll have cheap tires in stock and often a premium ST Trailer tire for those who don't want problems.

Just be prepared to pay more for the good tires.

Old saying:

"If you want prime, top quality oats to feed your horse you will have to pay top price.

If you're willing to settle for oats that have already been through a horse, they are cheaper"

Back to tire dealers, I tend to trust the older professional, independent, dealers more than the "Chain Stores". In many cases all the chain store salesman knows is what the "Sell Sheet" from the tire manufacturer says and what his standing is on that months sales chart in the break room. If you find an independent tire dealer that's been around for years (like the one I use who's been in the same shop since the late 80's) their concern is taking care of customers and if you have a problem he'll take care of it. To minimize his problems he usually doesn't try to sell "junk".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
On a forum you're going to get all kinds of answers, some good, some not so much.

This is where a good tire dealer comes in handy. Especially a long time established independent. They've seen what works and what doesn't.
They'll have cheap tires in stock and often a premium ST Trailer tire for those who don't want problems.

Just be prepared to pay more for the good tires.

Old saying:

"If you want prime, top quality oats to feed your horse you will have to pay top price.

If you're willing to settle for oats that have already been through a horse, they are cheaper"

Back to tire dealers, I tend to trust the older professional, independent, dealers more than the "Chain Stores". In many cases all the chain store salesman knows is what the "Sell Sheet" from the tire manufacturer says and what his standing is on that months sales chart in the break room. If you find an independent tire dealer that's been around for years (like the one I use who's been in the same shop since the late 80's) their concern is taking care of customers and if you have a problem he'll take care of it. To minimize his problems he usually doesn't try to sell "junk".
Yes, I know that, however I am wondering if anyone here actually is running these. And would like their input, my long time tire guy doesn't run these on anything so he can't really say. I'm not worried about what the tires will cost as much as I'm worried about their service duty, and not as apt to blowing out like so many others. But thank you for the advice
Old 06-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #4
fmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by blksvt View Post
i know it's all over the place, but i've been researching tires for 4 hrs, and don't really want to search here again for it. I'm looking at the taskmaster provider st235/80r/16. Anyone running these? If so what do you think? I have a friend who put them on his 5er and he absolutely loves them.

Just trying to decide on a good tire vs the g rated china bombs i'm running now.

goodyear g614
fmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc View Post
goodyear g614
Thanks
Old 06-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #6

Michelin XPS RIB if they have a size that will fit.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #7

Our 2013 Cedar Creek Touring 36CKTS came with G614 RST - LT235/86R16 G, we have ran them 7 years absolutely no problems, don't think they really needed to be replaced but oh well 7 years is a long time. We just replaced them with the same tires. Goodyear has a $25 per tire rebate right now, that you can check into, the info is on their website for RV tires. Google these tires and find a good dealer so you can get the rebate. Expensive but well worth it.
flattyattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKSVT View Post
Yes, I know that, however I am wondering if anyone here actually is running these. And would like their input, my long time tire guy doesn't run these on anything so he can't really say. I'm not worried about what the tires will cost as much as I'm worried about their service duty, and not as apt to blowing out like so many others. But thank you for the advice
If a long time tire guy does not have any experience/recommendations with a tire, it is usually for a good reason.

I'm sorry, I have no experience with them either.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If a long time tire guy does not have any experience/recommendations with a tire, it is usually for a good reason.

I'm sorry, I have no experience with them either.
Meaning he can't say first hand from experience on ST trailer tires as he can say for other tires that he runs on his trucks etc, he has said they do sell quite a few of them.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattyattack View Post
Our 2013 Cedar Creek Touring 36CKTS came with G614 RST - LT235/86R16 G, we have ran them 7 years absolutely no problems, don't think they really needed to be replaced but oh well 7 years is a long time. We just replaced them with the same tires. Goodyear has a $25 per tire rebate right now, that you can check into, the info is on their website for RV tires. Google these tires and find a good dealer so you can get the rebate. Expensive but well worth it.
Thank you!
Old 06-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Michelin XPS RIB if they have a size that will fit.
Thank you!
Old 06-24-2019, 01:14 PM   #12

I will second Michelin XPS Rib. I ran these for years on my 350 Econoline with 460 that pulled a lot of heavy things and also years on my 5th.
Unfortunately they are LR E.
They lasted and I had no failures.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Meaning he can't say first hand from experience on ST trailer tires as he can say for other tires that he runs on his trucks etc, he has said they do sell quite a few of them.
If they sell quite a few of them, he ought to be getting enough feedback, return customers, etc. to at least comment on that.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #14

Gonna beat this topic again ...Tires for 5er

Take a look about half way down this website for reviews.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...M2358016E.html
I use 15's so no opinion.
boatcat AH6NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatcat1 View Post
Take a look about half way down this website for reviews.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...M2358016E.html
I use 15's so no opinion.
Thank you, I did read those last night. I'm just trying to get a person who has them besides my friend give me some feedback.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:31 PM   #16

Quote:
... I'm looking at the Taskmaster Provider ST235/80R/16...
That sounds like a generic China tire.

The Westlake ST235/85R/16 (my CC 36CKTS came with them) have a good rep. I used mine until they were worn out.

The Sailun S637T has a longer history and a good rep. I bought them to replace the worn out Westlakes.

The Goodyear G614 has a lower weight load rating than the Sailun S637T (or Westlake) ST235/85R/16.

I would stay with the Westlake tires or upgrade to Sailun S637T.

What model Champagne do you have? Side to side weights (L vs R) can vary a lot. Have you got individual tire weights? My FW is much heavier on the left side than the right side.
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB B&W Continuum Hitch
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:48 PM   #17

This is my 3rd season on my providers. 235/80/16 LRE. Taskmaster has a good name in landscape trailers. My trailer has a gross of 11.5k. So I have a lot of tire under my trailer. Seem ok to me but I don’t put a ton of miles on them.
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer4 View Post
That sounds like a generic China tire.

The Westlake ST235/85R/16 (my CC 36CKTS came with them) have a good rep. I used mine until they were worn out.

The Sailun S637T has a longer history and a good rep. I bought them to replace the worn out Westlakes.

The Goodyear G614 has a lower weight load rating than the Sailun S637T (or Westlake) ST235/85R/16.

I would stay with the Westlake tires or upgrade to Sailun S637T.

What model Champagne do you have? Side to side weights (L vs R) can vary a lot. Have you got individual tire weights? My FW is much heavier on the left side than the right side.
The Taskmasters are made in Texas. I have the 38EL Champagne. Thanks for the information.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroff View Post
This is my 3rd season on my providers. 235/80/16 LRE. Taskmaster has a good name in landscape trailers. My trailer has a gross of 11.5k. So I have a lot of tire under my trailer. Seem ok to me but I don’t put a ton of miles on them.
Thank you!
Old 06-24-2019, 05:32 PM   #20

The G614 have the 2nd best reputation and cost double the ones with the best reputation. Put Sailun S637 on and be a very happy camper.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er, tire, tires