Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #1

Gray Water Plumbing Question

We haven't had too much opportunity yet to get out in our beautiful 2020.5 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK. However, last time we were out something came up with the gray. It has 2 gray tanks fed by the kitchen sink, the shower and the bathroom sink. We had the gray valves closed to build up some hose rinse water for drive out day. Nothing but a couple showers and general clean up and water started backing up in the kitchen sink. I assumed the kitchen would be on one tank and the bathroom on another. It seems insane to put the shower and the kitchen sink together and leave the bathroom sink on its own tank. Did they do something that goofy? The shower and kitchen are going to produce far more gray water than the little bathroom sink. Say it ain't so.
TXFolkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:09 PM   #2

It is so! The bathroom sink and optional clothes washer would be on one. Leaving kitchen sink and shower on other. If boondocking I just learned of a trick to put a Valterra valve on output and leave it closed them open both gray valves giving you access to all 80 gallons of tanks for shower, kitchen sink and bathroom sink.
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid toad
cub22908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:46 AM   #3

Our 2019 37MBH is the same way. At first didn't like it much but we've gotten acclimated to it. Recently we've been doing a lot of weekend trips and there is no issue with us filling up the galley/shower tank with 3+ people taking showers and washing dishes, etc. But the sink tank.....different matter. So we wind up running more water in the sink than normal in order to get some flow from that tank when draining. We also use a lot more water for the black tank on those short weekend trips.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFolkie View Post
We haven't had too much opportunity yet to get out in our beautiful 2020.5 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK. However, last time we were out something came up with the gray. It has 2 gray tanks fed by the kitchen sink, the shower and the bathroom sink. We had the gray valves closed to build up some hose rinse water for drive out day. Nothing but a couple showers and general clean up and water started backing up in the kitchen sink. I assumed the kitchen would be on one tank and the bathroom on another. It seems insane to put the shower and the kitchen sink together and leave the bathroom sink on its own tank. Did they do something that goofy? The shower and kitchen are going to produce far more gray water than the little bathroom sink. Say it ain't so.
As explained by others that is the way it is designed. When I had my unit at Orvan's this past June he offered (as he was installing a regular trap to the shower) to switch the shower drain to the bathroom sink grey tank. I elected not to do that as the pipes may have interfered with getting all the things into my pass through bay that I needed to (truck bed cover for one). Also at some point in time I may add a washer.

I do keep the kitchen/shower grey tank valve open when camping as if you don't you will probably see water rising in kitchen sink . I do tend to close it the night before leaving for rinsing hose after dumping black tank.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:04 PM   #5

Yep - our 2019 34RL2 is the same way. I figured it out after our 2nd time out. We just monitor the gray level and empty as necessary. It's no big deal.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #6

Ahh, hadn't thought about if we had the laundry unit. It would make sense then. Of course we normally have the gray open or slow drip. Just something new to be mindful of when we close them. Thanks y'all.
TXFolkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #7

We have a 34RL2 and the sink and washing machine are connected while the shower and kitchen sink are hooked together.
eaglecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:25 PM   #8

On our 34IK we re-plumbed the shower to empty into the bathroom sink/laundry gray tank. We don’t have any immediate plans to have a cloth washer. All work was done in the bay under floor.
lfussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:50 PM   #9
Stupid Lucky

Our 34IK was one of he first that Orvan replumbed to combine shower and BR sink in one gray and kitchen sink in other. We often camp in state parks without full hook up and this change makes life simpler. Good to hear of another solution (Valterra Valve) as it's always nice to have options. I also communicated with CC and suggested they look at the tank configuration. They acknowledged my suggestion but I will be surprised if they change as they also need to be mindful those that have washers. We do not.
Sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, water