Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #1

Hathaway gas-electric water heater ?

Just upgraded to the 2019 Hathaway w/ gas electric water heater. I found the exterior on/off switch but have not found one inside. Can this be programmed into the remote/tablet or did I just miss the inside hot water heater switch?

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
Just upgraded to the 2019 Hathaway w/ gas electric water heater. I found the exterior on/off switch but have not found one inside. Can this be programmed into the remote/tablet or did I just miss the inside hot water heater switch?
Probably does not have one inside. Not all do. Mine does but it was installed by PO.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:

Are you positive it has the gas/electric option? The reason I ask this is that their website states under "features" that the Hathaway editions have a mandatory on demand type water heater, but there is a 12 gallon gas/electric option (which you may have)

Cedar Creek Hathaway Edition Fifth Wheels by Forest River RV

This thread may be of help too, if you have a Suburban brand, and it's possibly a SWDE model, which that outside switch would be to just the electric heating element option

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:08 AM   #4

Our Hathaway RE 34 was purchased in April.

Standard water heater was the on demand water heater.

My wife did not want it. They installed the gas electric at no charge.

Ours has an indoor gas turn on switch. The electric is only controlled by the switch on the water heater.

If you use both systems the water heater recovers very quickly.

Mom is happy, therefore so am I.

We talked with Riverstone owner last week. His wife demanded the continuous water heater be removed. There is a German model with a small storage tank that she loves. However, it cost them $2,500 to change it.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Are you positive it has the gas/electric option?
Yes sir, we looked for months trying to find a non-on-demand water unit, hoping to get one before they changed the decor/exterior paint scheme. Waited too late so had to order from the factory...requesting the 12 gallon gas/elec option because of all the reported problems with on-demand.

At this price point is seems inappropriate that the control panel would not have an on/off switch for the hot water heater, but sure enough...only outside switch is there. Perhaps with some minor engineering I can relocate this lone switch, which i assume (before testing) is a 120volt AC, up to the control panel area.

Thanks for the links to the additional reference material, I'm determined to learn as much as possible about these systems so i can have informed conversations with my dealer....now where did I put the power drill!

Old 11-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #6

while there may not be an 'interior' ELEC side water heater switch, it's really is not a big deal since the only time you'll have the ELEC heating is when you are on SHORE power, or onboard GENERATOR, if you have one. It doesn't work while driving, or even if you have an inverter, since it is not wired to the inverter.

While my coach has the interior switch, leaving it on all the time is the norm anyway -- you'll probably rarely find a time when you'd need to turn it 'off', regardless.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #7

The water heater you want is likely the Truma. Most of the others are not well liked.

Frankly, the switch being outside is no big deal. When you hook up the power you are standing right next to the water heater.

Sort of forces you to think. If you turn the water heater on without water in the tank the element burns out.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:

Perhaps with some minor engineering I can relocate this lone switch, which i assume (before testing) is a 120volt AC, up to the control panel area.

We have had several members who do indeed make an inside switch for the electric. If it's simply plugged into an outlet behind the water heater (some are hardwired though), members actually just make a switch to the outlet itself.

Many others, just simply use the circuit breaker to the water heater in the RV distribution panel as another on/off switch and leave the outside switch in the on position.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #9

Check your in command system. There is a setting for gas, electric, or both. We just picked up a 2019 Silverback.
heavyodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

Many others, just simply use the circuit breaker to the water heater in the RV distribution panel as another on/off switch and leave the outside switch in the on position.

And right there is the "KISS" solution I would have pondered for days while drawing engineering plans to rewire the entire coach. Just throw the darn breaker, thanks guys....going to go out in 32° weather this morning and open the slides for the first time as we just puller 'er home yesterday through two states in the rain.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #11

I always just turned off the breaker.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
I always just turned off the breaker.
That's way they call you the wizard.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:10 AM   #13

We currently have an On Demand WH and love it, particularly since we got the Oxygenics shower head.

When we had an SWDE Suburban in our previous camper I was anal about not wanting to burn out the heating element, so when we hooked up to go home I turned off the switch on the WH, the interior switch and the circuit breaker.

Overkill, I know, but I never burned up an element either
Old 11-14-2018, 05:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
We currently have an On Demand WH and love it, particularly since we got the Oxygenics shower head.

When we had an SWDE Suburban in our previous camper I was anal about not wanting to burn out the heating element, so when we hooked up to go home I turned off the switch on the WH, the interior switch and the circuit breaker.

Overkill, I know, but I never burned up an element either
Why not just leave water in the water heater?

Bruce
Old 11-14-2018, 06:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Why not just leave water in the water heater?

Bruce
I did, and when we hooked up Id connect the water first, insure I had flow through the Hot Water system before I turned on the WH.

Like I said, Overkill, but I NEVER burned up an element
Old 11-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #16

Quote:
I did, and when we hooked up Id connect the water first, insure I had flow through the Hot Water system before I turned on the WH.

Better safe than sorry.

Bruce
Old 11-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Better safe than sorry.

Bruce
Amen, it worked for me.

I did drain the WH once a year and washed out all the residue in the bottom from the anode. I didn't want any possibility of that residue (little round white balls of calcium I think) getting into the water system and causing problems.

It also gave me the opportunity to check the anode and I replaced it as necessary (every 3-4 years or so).
Old 11-14-2018, 08:26 AM   #18

Quote:

I have burned up one or two elements, it’s a newbie thing. I leave water in the hot water tank plus to be safe now I turn the gas on first. Besides gas heats up the hot water heater faster
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have burned up one or two elements, it’s a newbie thing. I leave water in the hot water tank plus to be safe now I turn the gas on first. Besides gas heats up the hot water heater faster
And since you are a newbie I will point out that if you have BOTH the gas and electric on it will heat u even faster.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #20

I dont want an inside water heater electric switch. Glad there isn't one.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, gas, heater, water, water heater