Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2018, 10:40 AM   #21

What is this Yellow Door sticker I keep reading about, my 2015 RAM 3500 DRW has no Yellow door sticker
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #22

May or may not be yellow. Look on the drivers door post. There will be a tag with everything you need to know.
Depending on configuration it should read between 11,500 and 15,000 pounds GVWR.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewgsc View Post
We are retiring from teaching this spring and have just starting to research fifth wheels. We have looked at the Keystone Montana and now are really interested in the Cedar Creeks(Hathaway vs Champagne) We would really would like some advice from owners of either model to help narrow down our search. Thanks for the ideas.
Are we still talking about the differences in these two?
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:55 PM   #24

When I stumbled on the Cedar Creel Hathaway I saw many minor hidden and obvious upgrades from the $8-10,000 cheaper fifth wheels.

Like. The flex suspension, wet bolts, metal bushings in the springs. Bigger tires G rated. z frame. Rear cap. 12 gallon water heater or continuous one. 12 volt heating pads on tanks. Two gray water tanks.

Lazy boy furniture. 30" microwave with a convection oven option. Larger gas oven. Jensen tv's and sound system. Better countertops. King bed.

Room for 4 six volt batteries. Tv antenna. Quiet ac's. If you can see the unit sticking thru he ceiling they are louder. LED lights. Metal faucets in the bath. One piece fiberglass shower surround. More wood, less foam in woodwork. Hydraulic level up. Hydraulic slides. Faster.

Stainless sink. Vacuum cleaner with dustpan. 2 Fold up dinette chairs.

Better awning. Frameless Windows. The RE has Windows on three walls of the living area. Better wall construction with studs, fiberglass. Minimal luan. Heavy wood floor.

Thought it was a better value for us.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #25

If I could, I might suggest your broaden you search a bit. It's no secret in am not a proponent of either Thor or Forest River for a variety of reasons.

If I were looking today for a 5th wheel I'd look at Artic Fox but the they may be a little smaller than your looking for.

Secondly, I would really look at Vanleigh RV, they have the Vilano which is similar to the Hathaway and the Beacon which is similar to the Champagne.

Lastly I would look at the new Summit line at New Horizons RV they have recently redone the line to make it more competitive. New Horizons is easily going to be the highest cost of all the brands mentioned but in my opinion easily the highest quality and customer service.

Do extensive research on brand satisfaction and customer service after the sell. It appears to me the smaller family owned businesses are better at it and more concerned about it.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:18 AM   #26

That's an odd post on a FR site.

I looked at the Summit. Other than being wider, I can't see a lot of difference in it from the Champagne. I can't see much difference in it from my Hathaway. I can see it costs twice as much.........so if those differences are worth Fifty Large, go for it.

I just put my hands on a VanLeigh Beacon at an RV show. It is nice, but it is not as nice as my Hathaway, to be honest. I like that it's made in the South, and I'm sure they have decent customer service, but their forums point to problems just like anyone else. The Beacon had less quality cabinets, no soft close drawers, had that extra few inches of width that is becoming popular, but otherwise was either equal or less than mine. Same frame, same leveling system, less storage, slightly heavier, exact same Westlake tires, same size, just nothing to make me see much difference. I did like the color and full body paint, but it was a listed option, same price as CC option.

I may be biased, but I tried to compare objectively as best I could. If I bought one of the above first, I'd probably be just fine and happy. They are good units. But to disparage mine and say these are highly superior is just incorrect.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:31 PM   #27

We had been looking for a fifth wheel for a year.

The term "head spinning" comes to mind.

So many options. Comparisons are trickey.

Take your time looking. Plenty of miles driving. Have fun.

Ours will arrive at the dealers tomorrow, maybe. Amazing, how much I have to do before our first trip in late March. Amazing how much stuff you need.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote