Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2018, 11:46 PM   #1
Global Nomad

Heating System Filters 36CKTS

I know the air conditioning filters are in the ceiling roof inlets. But where are the heating system filters? Do I unscrew the big inlet by the refrigerator?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater Inlet.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	159765
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:46 AM   #2

There are no filters on the heating side on our 33IK. I don’t think you need them as the air is not being returned thru small vents on the cooling coils like on the ac side.

Squirrel cage fan blowing heated air....nothing small to get clogged with dust plus heat burns it off. Ever notice the smell the first time you use the heater for the season..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #3
Global Nomad

I would think there would be some type of filter, if just to prevent dirt and junk from being blown through the ducts and RV.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:19 AM   #4

Heating System Filters 36CKTS

Dalford is correct no filters on this style furnace.

There already is junk in the ducts, been cleaning sawdust and wood chips for 3 years
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
I would think there would be some type of filter, if just to prevent dirt and junk from being blown through the ducts and RV.
If you have ,Dogs/Cats/Kids,and place a Filter in front of your Return Air Grill,two things will happen, Reduced Air Flow and Dirty Filter! Youroo!!
Old 01-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #6

I added a filter to keep the mosquitos out. Velcro tape and some glue. Refrigerator vents are wide open to outside with no screen. Sabre 33rets.
The Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
WaitnToRide

furnace filters

I too wanted to place a filter on the air return of the furnace. Our return grill is directly under the corner refrigerator compartment, with the left side bordering on the kitchen sink area and the right bordering on the storage area for the oven. I could not reach far enough through the grill to be able seal the entire void. With all of those openings and air leaks I didn't think it would be worth the time to place a filter behind the grill. Fortunately, as we live in Florida and pretty much never camp in the winter, the furnace doesn't see much use. Unfortunately the fan will eventually collect enough dirt to cause performance issues and will have to be dealt with.
Windspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #8

These units are for "camping", not full time residence. Unfortunately, we all buy them expecting more.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #9

Since we have dogs, we generate quite a bit of fuzzy dander that I was afraid would eventually build up somewhere in the heating system. Our return intake is behind a wooden louvre beneath the refrigerator. I checked the installation manual for the furnace to make sure there was enough cross sectional area for intake of the specified volume of air. The existing opening was like 130% bigger than required, so I did not hesitate to partially block the air flow with a good quality filter. Luckily, a standard 12" x 24" pleated paper filter fits the opening perfectly. I was able to remove the louvre assembly, and fasten a filter behind it with bungee cord. Works like a charm, and it is unbelievable how much stuff it catches. We seldom need the heater, but the filters are pretty cheap, so I change them every heating season whether they really need it or not.
Cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hoser View Post
I added a filter to keep the mosquitos out. Velcro tape and some glue. Refrigerator vents are wide open to outside with no screen. Sabre 33rets.
You're talking about screens on the outside, right? The OP is asking about a filter on the inside to "strain" dirt, etc., out of the inside air which is sucked into the furnace, heated and blown back out into the inside of their units.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:40 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingsilver View Post
These units are for "camping", not full time residence. Unfortunately, we all buy them expecting more.
X2
Old 01-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #12

I bought a piece of filter material at Lowes. It is quite coarse and will only stop large particles like dog hair and such. I cut it to fit behind the air return grill. Figured it wouldn’t hurt anything and might even keep the furnace a little cleaner.
dmchapman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating