Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #1

Hello I’m Dennis Noble from Michigan

I bought a new Cedar Creek 5th wheel
In July of 2019 it’s a Silverback 37’ RTH [Site Team edit: Dennis told us via PM that this should say "July of 2018".]
By September the first cold night we found that our fire place did not work, cold air rushed in around the entry door and the bedroom slide, the gas operation of the hot water tank did not work. After several weeks of complaining about the wall paper and not being able to get into the cupboards do to wrong trim on slide out They did extend my warranty. Now 9 months over the one year but I have about 25 items that need repair I waited over 3 months for parts in Florida not one part was delivered I’m pissed off.
Dennis Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your troubles...what support have you received from your selling/servicing dealer? Have they had an opportunity to address your concerns? Please keep us informed of your progress.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #3
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal!
Old 03-24-2020, 07:44 PM   #4

Are you living in Florida? Where did you buy your Creek from? The factory has always treated me great. A lot of times it’s the dealers fault
travlinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Noble View Post
In July of 2019 it’s a Silverback 37’ RTH
By September the first cold night we found that our fire place did not work, cold air rushed in around the entry door and the bedroom slide, the gas operation of the hot water tank did not work. After several weeks of complaining about the wall paper and not being able to get into the cupboards do to wrong trim on slide out They did extend my warranty. Now 9 months over the one year but I have about 25 items that need repair I waited over 3 months for parts in Florida not one part was delivered I’m pissed off
How is it 9 months over your 12 months warranty? You brought the Creek In July of 2019
travlinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:33 PM   #6

If you are back in Michigan or headed back soon, you may as well call Orvan at Amish Family RV in Topeka, Indiana. (260) 593-0951
His shop can fix every one of your problems. You'll have to talk to them about how they are currently dealing with warranty coverage.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlinon View Post
How is it 9 months over your 12 months warranty? You brought the Creek In July of 2019

I think he means 9 months is now gone in the first warranty year.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:44 PM   #8

37rth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Noble View Post
In July of 2019 it’s a Silverback 37’ RTH
By September the first cold night we found that our fire place did not work, cold air rushed in around the entry door and the bedroom slide, the gas operation of the hot water tank did not work. After several weeks of complaining about the wall paper and not being able to get into the cupboards do to wrong trim on slide out They did extend my warranty. Now 9 months over the one year but I have about 25 items that need repair I waited over 3 months for parts in Florida not one part was delivered I’m pissed off
Hello Dennis. It is good to hear from another RTH owner. I also have a 2019 and have had very few issues with it. That said, you should know by now that this model is somewhat unique and there are not a lot of them around. When I needed service, there was not a dealer within 300 miles of my location who had sold one. I recently spoke with the service manager of a dealership which was recommended by the warranty service of Forrest River. He said he had never actually seen one. If you do not have a local dealer who is qualified and willing to fix it then you have to make some choices. Take it somewhere else that FR has approved to do warranty work, or pay an RV service shop to do it, possibly at your own expense. You might want to look at the bigger picture. In 6 months, you will have less options. Remember, you did not buy a truck that had a warranty that can be forced by the factory. You bought a house, and yes it has wheels, but the factory cannot force the dealer to fix it. So if you use the camper, it will have problems from time to time, like anything house that does 60 mph thru a hurricane during an earthquake, and you will either have to pay to get it repaired or learn how to fix it, just like you do your brick and mortar home. For me, the cost of moving mine over 300 miles to a dealer qualified to fix it and then go back and get, far exceeded the cost of paying a local RV service to fix it. Yeah, the warranty should have covered it, but not the expense of taking it to and from the dealer. I bought the parts, and fixed it myself. Its ultimately your house, and your responsibility, and your choice. Now get some popcorn cause there is going to be a lot of different opinions.

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Kaw Concours
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
If you are back in Michigan or headed back soon, you may as well call Orvan at Amish Family RV in Topeka, Indiana. (260) 593-0951
His shop can fix every one of your problems. You'll have to talk to them about how they are currently dealing with warranty coverage.
As SlowrideHD says definitely give Orvan a call. He is that good and basically only works on CC's. Tough to get in as everybody across the nation brings their's to him. His hands have been tied recently on getting some warranty work done, but he is a very honest man and will try to do the right thing. He can get you in and out a lot quicker then your dealer ever will. Generally he is able to do in two days where your dealer would take two months.

I live in Illinois and was lucky that FR assigned Orvan to do some factory warranty work on my unit. Got it to him in November to do the 36 warranty issues and 18 enhancements, which one was adding a step going from living area to bedroom. He did all this in less than a week. The man is good and worth waiting to get into.

To my understanding, there is a new warranty manager at CC and Orvan has to work differently in getting warranty parts. When mine was in, he was able to go to the factory and get a replacement entry door and screen. He also replaced the front cap which (no fault on my dealer) my dealer won't have replaced, only puttied up the two holes and repainted the cap which wouldn't have corrected the real problem as the front cap was not set back far enough. My dealer is good and tries hard, but they don't have the expertise that Orvan has. I have mine scheduled to go to Amish Family RV in May and again in November.

Depending on where you live in Michigan, it may be not that bad of a trip to Orvan's. He is about 3 hours from me whereas my dealer is only about 1/2 hour. Well worth the two trips, one to drop off and one to pick up, unless he can get it done in a day. But he likes to start at 6 am EST, which is why I will drop off a day or two before my appointment. I'm on CST and would have to leave around 1 am to get there by 6 am.

Call him and good luck.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:55 PM   #10

37RTH

His profile says he is in Alaska, might be an issue for him to bring it to Orvan. I agree with everything you say about Amish RV, but hauling an RV hundreds of miles sometimes costs more than fixing it yourself and skipping the warranty hassle.

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Kaw Concours
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinh View Post
His profile says he is in Alaska, might be an issue for him to bring it to Orvan. I agree with everything you say about Amish RV, but hauling an RV hundreds of miles sometimes costs more than fixing it yourself and skipping the warranty hassle.
I would agree that if he is from Alaska that would be too far to travel, but the Title on his first post says he is from Michigan. He will have to let us know more precisely where he is really from.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #12

If at all Possible

I have a 2019 37RTH as well and yes there are issues. We took ours to Orvin ASAP after our lower level flooded do to the faulty ice maker part which i do believe that FR/CC has issued a recall on. We were one of the first that was found as an issue with Orvin persistence with CC. We had about 11 pages of issues that needed to be addresed and after all that we are even more in love with our RTH!

Its worth the trip in all seriousness.
4garylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:47 PM   #13

Since they have extended your warranty I would be on the phone with the factory getting a date and time to take it back there to get all the work done.
If you from Michigan , Indiana is only a few hours away.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #14

The dealers fault because it is cheaper for CC (FR) to crank em out and comp dealers who are overwhelmed with the crap they receive from fa tory that they cannot keep up. When they can't keep up, FR saves money. It's a business model.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:50 PM   #15

The BEST advice you got was to call Orvan Fry at Amish RV Family in Topeaka, IN. He is the leading authority on repairing Cedar Creeks....better than the factory. You will need authorization from the factory, and you need to tell them you want Orvan to do the repairs.

Good Luck.

Orvan has worked on my 2019 Hathaway.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #16

Seams as if Dennis has check out ???
If I were him I would make arrangements to take Unit to the factory where it was built !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Seams as if Dennis has check out ???
If I were him I would make arrangements to take Unit to the factory where it was built !!!

He hasn't been logged on since he initiated the thread.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
He hasn't been logged on since he initiated the thread.
It is SAD how some new members do that !!!
Even worse when they find a fix, and never reply !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinh View Post
There is a town called ALASKA in Michigan near Grand Rapids. That is probably where he is from.
F150 XLT 3.5L EB
Tim-Nancy-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:29 AM   #20
Kanadian Kamper

His profile said he’s from Almont, Alaska.

He’s just not into coming back to talk with us.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote