Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #1

Help on Winterizing 40CRS

We are new (this year) Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CRS owners. Unfortunately due to COVID we didn’t get a walk through of our unit when we took delivery in May and so while we’ve mostly figured things out we’re a little nervous about winterizing it for the first time. Our unit is parked permanently on a seasonal site in the mountains of British Columbia so it will certainly be subject to some harsh winter conditions and likely lots of snow. We’re planning to close up on Thanksgiving weekend in 2 weeks and we can’t seem to find a good checklist of all the stuff we’ll need to ensure is dealt with before the winter. Does anyone have such a list? We used to winterize our old 27’ travel trailer with no problem but given the size (and expense) of this one we’re a little nervous about going it alone for the first time. Would appreciate any and all guidance. We’re also reaching out to the dealer as well for help. Can’t hurt right?

Unit: 2020 Cottage by Cedar Creek 40CRS
Annieandtheboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:15 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Your experience with you old rig can be transferred to the new one. Some of the differences may be in your frig if you have a Residential frig with an ice maker. Other then the frig its about the same drain the HWT and bypass, pump RV antifreeze thru the lines and pour some down each drain to protect the traps. use the search function at the top of the page there are tons of articles on winterizing.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:55 PM   #3

Help on Winterizing 40CRS

Following along as we have a 2021 40CRS on order.

Does the fridge dispense water?

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #4

There are ways to winterize the refrigerator. First, take out the refrigerator water filter and replace with either a dummy plug or dummy filter as appropriate for your model refrigerator. Then if it dispenses water hold the dispenser open until you get antifreeze out the dispenser. Then you can manually force the ice maker through a couple of cycles until it is dispensing antifreeze. You can use either an electrical jumper to force the cycles or possibly use the operator panel, if so equipped, to enter manual diagnostics mode and manually open the ice maker valve a few times to get antifreeze into the ice maker. I do this on my Frigidaire. The reason you want to take the filter out is the it filters out the red color making it hard to determine when you stop getting water and start getting antifreeze out.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:10 AM   #5

Another area to winterize is IF you have a washer and or dishwasher. If so, be sure to drain lines and add pink stuff. Our CC has the hook ups for a washer and we played it safe by adding the pink as we didn't know if water would be present when charging the system.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #6

Thanks all for the advice everyone, what a great forum this is. To the frig question it doesn’t dispense water but it does have an ice maker which they must have winterized when we took delivery because the ice was pink. I’ve been searching forums and videos to make sure we cover everything else. We also need to winterize the dishwasher too I believe. Anyway we’re going to the dealership Saturday for a walk through of a like unit and if I come away with any good tips I’ll be happy to post and share.

One other question, do people generally put antifreeze in the black tank? We were in the habit of this with out old rig (just a small amount) in case they was any small amount of water left.
Annieandtheboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annieandtheboz View Post
Anyway we’re going to the dealership Saturday for a walk through of a like unit and if I come away with any good tips I’ll be happy to post and share.
I would suggest either bring a notepad to write notes down in or requesting permission to record the walk-through. That way you have something to refer back to if you forget anything after you get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annieandtheboz View Post
TOne other question, do people generally put antifreeze in the black tank? We were in the habit of this with out old rig (just a small amount) in case they was any small amount of water left.
You'll end up with a little in there when you step on the flush pedal to run the AF through your toilet but for the most part, it's not a huge deal. There should be enough room in the tank for the water to expand with no problem.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterizing