Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #1

Hitch and truck height

We have a 2019 Hathaway 34IK - love it! We are purchasing a new F350 short bed diesel and will be purchasing a new hitch. Has anyone pulled with a standard hitch in a short bed truck? We are wondering if we need to upgrade to a sliding hitch.

We are also concerned about the overall height of the unit of the new higher trucks. Any one with a 2019 F350 pulling a 2019 CC- any concerns with clearance? Our barn opening is 13’9” - cannot change it if it doesn’t fit! We keep thinking it can’t sit higher than 13’6” due to highway overpass clearance - would love some reassurance!

Thanks!
Happycamper19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #2

This is my opinion and take it at what it is worth!

There are two type of people who pull a 5er with a short bed truck without a slider hitch. Those who have hit the cab and rear window and those who will in the future!

I have pulled three different 5ers with two different short bed trucks. I have had and do still have a slider hitch in my truck. When I have not used the slider in a parking lot thinking I could maneuver without the slider I did hit the truck. This was with a Cougar 5er that had advertised 88DEG Corners for improve turn ability.

If you can afford it and do not want to worry about using the manual sliding hitch purchase a auto-slider hitch.

I am using a Demco Glide auto-slider now and I have no worries about hitting the cab or rear window.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:12 PM   #3

We have a 2019 CC (37MBH) and a 2017 F350 which, like the 2019 models, have higher beds. So far, no issues with the bed height (we have a long bed) and what I found is that with the correct setting on the Reese hitch, we have a good amount of room between the RV and the bed so I don't worry about the 5er hitting the bed anymore. Plus the Trailair on the 5er helps to give it some height.

We store our 5er in the barn and there is practically no margin for the 13'6" camper and the top of the door frame. What I've found myself doing to make sure I don't take off an A/C unit on the barn framing is:
1) Deflate our truck air bags to 5psi to give it some squat
2) Deflate our Trailair Flex Air 5th Wheel Pin Box to lower it even more

I only inflate the Trailair and truck air bags when out of the barn.

This is the tallest and longest RV I've ever pulled. The length I have no issue with but the height has me more in tune with bridge heights, etc. It's why I'm now on a quest for a better GPS that can provide routes that are trucker and RV friendly.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:37 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. the new trucks do seem to be higher
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
We have a 2019 CC (37MBH) and a 2017 F350 which, like the 2019 models, have higher beds. So far, no issues with the bed height (we have a long bed) and what I found is that with the correct setting on the Reese hitch, we have a good amount of room between the RV and the bed so I don't worry about the 5er hitting the bed anymore. Plus the Trailair on the 5er helps to give it some height.

We store our 5er in the barn and there is practically no margin for the 13'6" camper and the top of the door frame. What I've found myself doing to make sure I don't take off an A/C unit on the barn framing is:
1) Deflate our truck air bags to 5psi to give it some squat
2) Deflate our Trailair Flex Air 5th Wheel Pin Box to lower it even more

I only inflate the Trailair and truck air bags when out of the barn.

This is the tallest and longest RV I've ever pulled. The length I have no issue with but the height has me more in tune with bridge heights, etc. It's why I'm now on a quest for a better GPS that can provide routes that are trucker and RV friendly.
Take a look at truck map. It’s a free app that works well for me. Put In height and weight and it customizes your route.
primo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper19 View Post
We have a 2019 Hathaway 34IK - love it! We are purchasing a new F350 short bed diesel and will be purchasing a new hitch. Has anyone pulled with a standard hitch in a short bed truck? We are wondering if we need to upgrade to a sliding hitch.

We are also concerned about the overall height of the unit of the new higher trucks. Any one with a 2019 F350 pulling a 2019 CC- any concerns with clearance? Our barn opening is 13’9” - cannot change it if it doesn’t fit! We keep thinking it can’t sit higher than 13’6” due to highway overpass clearance - would love some reassurance!

Thanks!
I have no experience with standard type hitches but I have pulled my 5th wheel with a standard bed truck for two years. I think Fords and Chevy are similar in bed length. I use an Andersen Ultimate hitch and usually camp in the mountains or out on the desert instead of RV parks. I have pulled this thing up and down dirt roads and tight turns and have never had a problem. Regarding the height issue I think what Primo said is good advice.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:38 PM   #7

We have a 2005 Cardinal, pulled for years with an F-350 long bed. Bought a 2018 Ram 3500 short bed. Ordered the 2 wheel drive as it’s 1 1/2” lower, but still higher than the 2005 F-350. It does have air bags that lower rear end 1 1/2” when towing. Trailer no longer rides level and Lippart says you can’t adjust the pin box height because all bolts are required for safety. I need to check total height as it was 13’ 1” on the old truck. As for hitch, I went with the Demco Autoslide and love it. No capture plate required with Demco.
I bought the Ram instead of Ford for two reasons; 1- the 6.0 in my old truck was in the shop every few years for diesel problems, 2 - the new F-350 short bed is only 8” shorter than the long bed I had.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #8

The 2020's are lower by about an inch and a half.
Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #9

We tow a similar fiver, a 2018 Hathaway 34RE.

Short bed Ram. Anderson hitch.

Due the the not real severely shaped nose our fiver is not terribly short bed friendly.

Ours will get near 90 degrees.

Frankly, sharp turns damage frames, wheels and tires.

We have no issue! We have gotten into one of the most difficult spaces. Had two ranger spotters plus me. Mom drove. Real, beginner.

Roadway was 12 wide with 10”-12” drop off the edges. 90 degrees to the spot. 12’ wide. Trees near to pavement. Branches to watch out for.

If we can get in there we can go anywhere. The Anderson works as advertised.

Mom, the DW, does not want the longer bed!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post

There are two type of people who pull a 5er with a short bed truck without a slider hitch. Those who have hit the cab and rear window and those who will in the future!

I have pulled three different 5ers with two different short bed trucks. I have had and do still have a slider hitch in my truck. When I have not used the slider in a parking lot thinking I could maneuver without the slider I did hit the truck. This was with a Cougar 5er that had advertised 88DEG Corners for improve turn ability.

If you can afford it and do not want to worry about using the manual sliding hitch purchase a auto-slider hitch.

I am using a Demco Glide auto-slider now and I have no worries about hitting the cab or rear window.
There are TWO other classes, at least:

(1) Those who have a modern, well designed 5er that will clear the cab up to 90-degrees based on the shape of the nose; and
(2) Those (like me) who use a Reese Sidewinder or other mechanism to move the pivot point back to where it would be with a long-bed.

I'm sure there are others, but these two solutions do allow 90-degree turns without cab contact.

It probably goes without saying that 90-degree turns should be avoided for many reasons, but I do agree that all 5ers should have the capability to turn 90-degrees just in case.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:02 PM   #11

Here is my 2 cents worth..

I have a 33IK, have pulled it with an F250 and now with an F350, both shortbed. I pulled for 3+ years with a Reese manual slider hitch. I never had to use the slider. My 33IK has the corners dimpled inward which makes a big difference in clearing the cab. I think yours are dimpled in also.

I recently removed the Reese and replaced it with an Andersen hitch. I love the Andersen and now I even have more clearance. I have the pin adapter towards the rear.

As far as height goes, I have my Andersen at the lowest position. I might be a tad nose high, but not a problem I need to measure.

I would recommend the Andersen and you will see why the first time you have to remove your standard 5th wheel hitch from your bed. Andersen about 40 lbs, out in 5 minutes.

I’ll add some pics taken from my security camera of me turning in the cul-de-sac in front of my house. This is with the Reese, no slider. I now have more clearance with my Andersen.

Almost 90 but you really don’t want to pull tighter than this, hard on tires and axles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	995B7535-EDE9-420D-A831-38D41B35C3EC.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	222387   Click image for larger version

Name:	D54CB3E9-8577-4324-B402-C5CD08CFB894.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	222388   Click image for larger version

Name:	A84B820D-1E9F-4D64-B201-8FCBB8C1C0E3.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	222389  

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:02 PM   #12
New to FR. Old to TT

We have a 2018 gmc 2500 with the short bed and a CC36ck2 and we use an Andersen 5th hitch. Our 2019 CC is 13' 9" high, as measured with 6' level ,all hooked up. I have never had a hit on the cab and have made some near 90 degree turns in my gravel driveway. We also have the airide kingpin so when I installed the reciver for the Andersen I turned it toward the trailed which allows the airide to stay inside my tonneau cover rails and keeps the trailer about 7" above the box sides. Our trailer with the front air is NOT LEGAL from the factory, the arched ceiling gives me , at 6'8" about 2-3" of headroom in the bedroom. New ones ,same model have a flat ceiling so only about 1" clearance. We have never tried to make a 90 degree or even 80 degree turns due to the extreme torque being applied to the suspension and tires if on any hard surface. I love the Andersen hitch. Good luck with your choice.
Tall frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:22 PM   #13

Heigth

The new 2020 F-250's bed is an inch lower, 2020 F-350 ARE the SAME Height as 2019s. I use RV Trip Wizard which allows us to enter total height w/ a few extra inches added for safety. Never a problem in 8K pulling on the routes at our numbers. When planning route it puts red Xs on map for side roads w/ a problem. Our Garmin RV GPS does the same. Maybe someone w/ exactly same truck and trailer can answer barn question. Hope your drive up to barn is level.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post

X2 and I have the DEMCO auto slider also. I love it and never have to worry.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:30 PM   #15

Hitch

My original goall was a new Ford F-350 SD Lariat trim. After reading all the stories of hitting the cab, viewing the weight of sliders, and realizing the cost of sliders. I went w/ a long bed, problem solved. I can also retain my toolbox. I am very happy w/ my choice, good for my health to walk a little further when parking. LOL As a side note, in North Texas it was 50 to one on available trucks when looking for a long bed VS short bed. I believe it rides slightly better than short bed. I was able to find one w/ only options I wanted. Snow plow pkg and rear seat heater in TX., Why?
Old 01-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
My original goall was a new Ford F-350 SD Lariat trim. After reading all the stories of hitting the cab, viewing the weight of sliders, and realizing the cost of sliders. I went w/ a long bed, problem solved. I can also retain my toolbox. I am very happy w/ my choice, good for my health to walk a little further when parking. LOL As a side note, in North Texas it was 50 to one on available trucks when looking for a long bed VS short bed. I believe it rides slightly better than short bed. I was able to find one w/ only options I wanted. Snow plow pkg and rear seat heater in TX., Why?
SRW? Long bed is nice but you do give up quite a bit of payload. A friend of mine just bought a F350 Superduty SRW long bed with the same trim as my short bed and he has about 400 lbs less payload.... bigger truck, more metal and heavy duty frame I guess...

Old 01-25-2020, 07:55 PM   #17

Thanks to all for the replies!
Happycamper19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #18

TV

You give up more payload capacity to have a sun roof or slider than you do because the length on the bed. So both trucks are same trim and options? And I sure like the 48 gallon tank I have, maybe the difference. What ever works for you.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:44 PM   #19

I have a Ram SRW SB, CC Hathaway 34IK and Conventional style hitch and a Sidewinder Pin Box and I can do 90 Degrees all day long. No slider needed.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
You give up more payload capacity to have a sun roof or slider than you do because the length on the bed. So both trucks are same trim and options? And I sure like the 48 gallon tank I have, maybe the difference. What ever works for you.
I have a Lariat, so does he. I don’t remember his actual payload but I was surprised when I saw his yellow sticker. It was probably 300-400 lbs less than mine. My payload via the yellow sticker is 3623 lbs. I guess the real truth is the GVWR is the same, if I’m not mistaking for both the Long bed and short bed but I have been wrong plenty of times, is 11500 lbs.

My truck across the CAT scales with me, DW, full tank of diesel (34 gallons), Reese Hitch and tools I usually carry is 8520 lbs. So in reality I have just under 3000 lbs that I can add for my 5th wheel. Actually, when I add my 5th I am 40 lbs over the 11500 lbs. I have changed to an Andersen so I’m probably right at GVWR. I need to re-weigh.

You have a Lariat Super Duty, Out of curiosity, what does your yellow sticker say for max payload?

Bigger truck, more fuel capacity still adds up against the GVWR thus less RV you can pull.

Now, this has nothing to do with the OP original post as he said he was buying a short bed which I would do if I was not buying an F350 Long Bed Dually. Whole new ball game now.. maybe he has been convinced to buy a Dually...but a slider would be a lot cheaper..

Tags
hitch, truck