Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2014, 11:11 PM   #1

Hitchhiking Cat

A couple days ago in Fort Worth I had a cat decide to jump a ride in the bottom of my trailer. I assume this happened while I was packing the basement prior to leaving. That assess door to area of the vacuum/converter etc. was slightly open. I thought I heard a cat for the last two nights. Well tonight I caught a glimpse of him. There is an opening where he can down by the tanks and insulation. Was worried that he might starve to death down there and then stink the place up so I tried to entice him out with some tuna and a bowl of water. But he wont let me get close to him and of if I put the tuna outside he won't come to get it. I am currently at Palo Duro Canyon State Park, TX. Not real close to a town with Animal Control Department that might help. Anyone ever had this happen to them or have any good ideas?
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #2

Well, he's a feral probably, and was just trying to seek shelter. If you leave the door open, he'll leave to find food, eventually. I would imagine he's used to finding his own food and just happened to get caught in your basement by mistake. I don't think he wants to be there. Leave it open for a while - he'll leave on his own. Luckily, it sounds like he could make a go of it on his own in Texas. Yes, I'm a cat person .
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker UMS 21K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
Always Learning

The cat won't starve and die in there if he has a way to get out. The question becomes- once he's out and you do catch him, what do you do after that???
Old 06-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #4

Just hope it isn't pregnant!

Leave the door open it will come out. They are survivors first. Just don't bother it until it gets brave.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The cat won't starve and die in there if he has a way to get out. The question becomes- once he's out and you do catch him, what do you do after that???
If that happened to me I'd bring him home. You don't see as many true feral cats nowadays so there's a good chance somebody in the neighbourhood is missing their cat. So, I'd be bringing him home and seeing if a family is missing theirs. If not, then I'd be turning it over to the local pound. Perhaps a nice family would want a cat.

Note: If it was just me, I'd keep the cat myself if nobody claimed him. But since DW is allergic, I wouldn't be able to.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #6

Sounds like a great RV movie sequel to me. Call Robin Wms and ask for advice
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
phat phrog stunt crew

If he is feral, he won't be any kind of freindly if you do manage to get ahold of him. You won't hold him for long, that's for certain.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
If that happened to me I'd bring him home. You don't see as many true feral cats nowadays so there's a good chance somebody in the neighbourhood is missing their cat. So, I'd be bringing him home and seeing if a family is missing theirs. If not, then I'd be turning it over to the local pound. Perhaps a nice family would want a cat.

Note: If it was just me, I'd keep the cat myself if nobody claimed him. But since DW is allergic, I wouldn't be able to.
That RV park in Fort Worth had a lot of cats hanging around. I remember seeing this one wandering about while I was there. I went to town today an got a couple of cans of cat food. If I can getting him used to me bringing him food maybe I can get ahold of him. If he gets out of the basement on is own well then he's on his own.
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, hitch