Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #1

holding tank monitor

I have a 2017 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EL with washer and dryer. Can someone tell me what goes into gray tank 1 and gray tank 2? I just want to confirm what I was told by dealer. They just cleaned my tanks thoroughly, not a drop in them, and one of the gray monitors is still reading full. This is getting to be very frustrating. I cannot believe, in this day and age, there isnt a better way to monitor the tanks accurately. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.
pfish48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfish48 View Post
I have a 2017 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EL with washer and dryer. Can someone tell me what goes into gray tank 1 and gray tank 2? I just want to confirm what I was told by dealer. They just cleaned my tanks thoroughly, not a drop in them, and one of the gray monitors is still reading full. This is getting to be very frustrating. I cannot believe, in this day and age, there isnt a better way to monitor the tanks accurately. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.
THERe are better monitors but FR is not using them. If you really want accurate reading then you will have to install a better one yourself. Several available that may work with the existing wiring. Lots of info around.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:17 PM   #3

I can't help you with which is which, but I had a sensor reading problem, and just filled the tank up with water let it sit foe awhile and then dumped, I think it had scum soap on them, and yes they are garbage, I agree what a joke. I will say you have the trailer I want, what a beauty

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forest River Forums mobile app

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfish48 View Post
I have a 2017 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EL with washer and dryer. Can someone tell me what goes into gray tank 1 and gray tank 2? I just want to confirm what I was told by dealer.
I just had to map fixtures inside the camper to pull handles outside of it. Here's how I did it:
  1. Empty all of the tanks
  2. At just 1 fixture (sink, shower, washer/dryer, etc)... run 5 minutes worth of water.
  3. Open each pull handle one-by-one to figure out which one lets water out. (Close the handle before moving onto the next one.)
  4. Repeat steps for each fixture that you want to test.

This assumes you're on a full hookup site. Though, you can do the same thing at home with a 5 gallon bucket and dumping it into your house's toilet (it's gross, though).
Old 04-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I just had to map fixtures inside the camper to pull handles outside of it. Here's how I did it:
  2. At just 1 fixture (sink, shower, washer/dryer, etc)... run 5 minutes worth of water.
  3. Open each pull handle one-by-one to figure out which one lets water out. (Close the handle before moving onto the next one.)

This assumes you're on a full hookup site. Though, you can do the same thing at home with a 5 gallon bucket and dumping it into your house's toilet (it's gross, though).
I don't believe you...[emoji879]

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

This exactly how I did my CC since I have 4 tanks three grey and one black.
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:51 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I don't believe you...[emoji879]

You know you want to believe!
Old 04-02-2018, 08:47 PM   #8

You'll not find any RV brand's 4 light tank monitors to be very accurate ... it's been that way for longer than I've owned RVs. You'll learn as to about how long you can go before you get a tank full no matter black or grey. There are better monitors out there (See Level brand) that you sometimes can use the existing wiring, but it takes a bit of work to install them. On a side note ... I'd not do too much laundering depending solely on a grey tank to catch the rinse water as it'll fill up quick ... way better to be hooked to sewer connection at RV park.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #9

I haven't looked at my monitor lights in ages..........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:37 PM   #10
Just as confused as you

I don't look at mine either. If you have water backing up in the shower, it's time to dump. If you have gurgling or belching coming from the toilet when you flush, it's time to dump. If you have a 2nd gray tank then you have to pay attention how water goes down the sink drain. You will notice a difference with experience.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:44 AM   #11
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I've found that if you hold the button down for about 30 seconds or so, the readings will smooth out to a pretty accurate reading.

Plus, flushing your tanks correctly and frequently will help as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerSwitches-P4011898.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	662.2 KB
ID:	167050  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I haven't looked at my monitor lights in ages..........
I also forgot that ours had tank monitors never use them either, I guess since campers did not come with them until just a few years back.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #13

Oaklevel ... although I fully agree with you about monitor usage ... the test button and lights have been on RV's for a long time. My 96 Sunlite had em, 98 Sportsman had em, my 2000 Montana, my 2005 Montana, on to current Silverback. If you were "tongue in cheek" ... it went on over my head ... Ha!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank