Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2024, 02:28 PM   #1

Holding tanks

New to us 38DBRK 2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway Edition. But have lots of questions about my black tanks. Sensors seemed to work when we first received unit. Camping World delivered it 3/4 full of crap, both tanks. Had to empty into our own septic system. But that's another story of our purchase.

Recent trip, two weeks in Florida black tank sensors never indicated that they needed emptied. How full do tanks need to be before they register? How do I find out were these tanks are located and how to get to them? We have two black and two grey tanks. Grey tanks sensors seemed fine. Does Forest River offer any diagrams or layout of our unit? I am pretty mechanical been a appliance repairman for fifty years.
Mack2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 08:31 PM   #2

Probably best to accept that the black tank well nut probes (sensors) will never read properly. You will know when your black tanks are getting full when they "burp" when you flush. We have a 36CK2 and with just my wife and myself, I empty the black tank if we are parked about once a week. It is not full but that is what I do.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 09:04 PM   #3

My sensors haven’t worked since first use. I dump by calendar not a sensor. My wife and I are full time and we dump after a week.

Former US Navy 6/1968 - 3/1972

Retired forensic auditor 4/2022
Russellvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 12:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack2554 View Post
New to us 38DBRK 2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway Edition. But have lots of questions about my black tanks. Sensors seemed to work when we first received unit. Camping World delivered it 3/4 full of crap, both tanks. Had to empty into our own septic system. But that's another story of our purchase.

Recent trip, two weeks in Florida black tank sensors never indicated that they needed emptied. How full do tanks need to be before they register? How do I find out were these tanks are located and how to get to them? We have two black and two grey tanks. Grey tanks sensors seemed fine. Does Forest River offer any diagrams or layout of our unit? I am pretty mechanical been a appliance repairman for fifty years.
Do you have to drop the belly cover to get to the tanks? Plus have you ever installed tank heaters?
Old 03-13-2024, 12:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
Probably best to accept that the black tank well nut probes (sensors) will never read properly. You will know when your black tanks are getting full when they "burp" when you flush. We have a 36CK2 and with just my wife and myself, I empty the black tank if we are parked about once a week. It is not full but that is what I do.
X2

Quote:
Do you have to drop the belly cover to get to the tanks? Plus have you ever installed tank heaters?
Are you sure you don't have tank heaters already? My 36CK2 came with tank heaters installed. I want to say the switch on mine is located inside the control panel with all the lights, water pump, gas water heater and other switches. Mine is on the left end of the top top row of light switches below the tank sensor buttons in the closet where the control panel is.

Hope this helps and be safe -

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 06:35 AM   #6

I was told by Forest River that I had tank heaters but yet to find a switch to turn on. We have a IN-Camand Center.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:47 PM   #7

Quote:
I was told by Forest River that I had tank heaters but yet to find a switch to turn on. We have a IN-Camand Center.
I'm not familiar with an IN-Command Center - is that where all the lights are controlled by the display rather than normal individual switches.

My tank heater switch is a red lighted switch on left end of the top bank of lights switches in the entry closet. Sorry I don't have a picture at the moment.

Be safe -

2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Old 04-16-2024, 12:18 PM   #8

Yes our lights are all controlled on a display screen next to the thermostat. Don’t have a bank of switches or an entry closet. We have a half bath facing you as you walk in the door. With a washer/dryer. I have looked everywhere for the switch. They froze coming back from Florida in February. Thanks for responding. Do you still own your RV?
Old 04-16-2024, 02:43 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Forest River offers no schematics of the towable units.
You'll find the tank sensors are not very accurate even when they half work.
Many (most) learn how our tanks behave when flushing and when they 'burp" it is time to dump or if you spend time in it, about a week with two people using the toilet.

You should post a photo of your command center and maybe someone will see something they recognize. Every R/V is different. Even same models don't always use the same control features.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 09:59 PM   #10

Thanks guys. I really appreciate hanging with this newbie. I was digging and crawling around the pass through to find connections for tank heaters. It appears to be a secret but that’s fine for now. I see what you mean 5picker. LittleBill thanks for your input.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes our lights are all controlled on a display screen next to the thermostat. Don’t have a bank of switches or an entry closet. We have a half bath facing you as you walk in the door. With a washer/dryer. I have looked everywhere for the switch. They froze coming back from Florida in February. Thanks for responding. Do you still own your RV?
Yes I do. Hopefully there is someone with a unit the same as you that can give you good information on how you can turn the tanks heaters on. I would suspect it is somewhere buried in your In-Command display.

It would be helpful when responding to someone's post is to use the Quote option located on the right of a poster's post.

Be safe -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quote posters post.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	298777  

Tags
tank, tanks