Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #1

Hot water heater controls

The last TT we had was a Rockwood. It had had a gas/electric hot water heater in. To control what you wanted for heat, you had to select it on the control panel. Now we have Cedar Creek Hathaway 38DBRK 5'r. It has a control panel with it. It has a switch for gas by the main panel and a switch on the water heater for the electric element. What I'm confused about is its like the control panel has no control over the gas or electric sides of the hot water heater, like the Rockwood did. Is this normal or did the Cedar Creek get wired wrong from the factory. In a quite area, it sounds like relays clicking on main board, when you click on heat selection on control panel.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:28 PM   #2

Do you have the In-Command system with the screen inside the coat closet?

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:10 AM   #3

Yes we have the In Command system. Its mounted on wall going to the master bedroom. Like I mentioned it has a lighted switch for gas right by the In Command panel. For the electric hot water element it has a breaker and a switch outside on heater. The reason for asking about the In Command controlling heater is I almost had a shocking experience. I know I should have tripped breaker before changing heating element, but I didn't. I did have latex gloves on. Anyway I realized the In Command isn't controlling the gas or electric to hot water heater.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimla View Post
Yes we have the In Command system. Its mounted on wall going to the master bedroom. Like I mentioned it has a lighted switch for gas right by the In Command panel. For the electric hot water element it has a breaker and a switch outside on heater. The reason for asking about the In Command controlling heater is I almost had a shocking experience. I know I should have tripped breaker before changing heating element, but I didn't. I did have latex gloves on. Anyway I realized the In Command isn't controlling the gas or electric to hot water heater.

We have threads where FR has acknowledged that they did not put in a relay in the In Command centers to be able to operate the Suburban water heater electric heating element...and you had to go outside and use the switch on the face of the water heater for this. They have acknowledged how to fix this for the InCommand controls, but do not know if they have incorporated it yet. We have a member here, who I believe this was done for at Goshen. There is a thread or two on this.

However the gas portion was able to be used via the InCommand control. Can you please post a pic of this separate switch you say you have by the InCommand controls so we can see it is exactly what you are talking about?

If you replaced the electric heating element as you sate, I must assume you did something to burn it up (like turned it on with an empty tank).

You also have what is called ECO/hi-limit thermostats on a Suburban water heater. If you overheated the tank, it is possible you also tripped these. They are resettable and are under the black rubber cover at the top of the water heater above your electric heating element switch.

You just press in on the rubber cover to reset them. The left hand one goes to the electric heating element and right hand one goes to the gas portion. You might want to give these a try.

They say weird people are just wired the wrong way.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
Site Team

Here is a previous thread I was referring to, and it explains that the Cedar Creek didn't have the gas or electric portions connected to the incommand controls (I was just remembering it was the electric)

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post2162658

This thread may help too, that has links to the one above and others all being Cedar Creeks.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post2202381

Old 12-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
We have threads where FR has acknowledged that they did not put in a relay in the In Command centers to be able to operate the Suburban water heater electric heating element...and you had to go outside and use the switch on the face of the water heater for this. They have acknowledged how to fix this for the InCommand controls, but do not know if they have incorporated it yet. We have a member here, who I believe this was done for at Goshen. There is a thread or two on this.

However the gas portion was able to be used via the InCommand control. Can you please post a pic of this separate switch you say you have by the InCommand controls so we can see it is exactly what you are talking about?

If you replaced the electric heating element as you sate, I must assume you did something to burn it up (like turned it on with an empty tank).

You also have what is called ECO/hi-limit thermostats on a Suburban water heater. If you overheated the tank, it is possible you also tripped these. They are resettable and are under the black rubber cover at the top of the water heater above your electric heating element switch.

You just press in on the rubber cover to reset them. The left hand one goes to the electric heating element and right hand one goes to the gas portion. You might want to give these a try.

If the press to reset doesn't work it's a good practice to remove thermostat's cover and verify the shorting wire between the HI an LO stats has not opened.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:53 AM   #7

Thanks to y'all for replying. The pics that were posted resembles what we have. I'm not sure when the element got toasted. The dealership had a guy that wasn't as good as he needed to be, to a good PDI or walkthrough and part of is my fault for not pressing for answers. No water that I know of was hooked up. When I got it home and we used it the first time, I noticed that the water heater wasn't working on electric and found the breaker tripped. Kind of putting the pieces of the puzzle together, I realize that I assumed that the In Command worked the same as the control panel we had in the Rockwood, which I think was an LCI panel but don't get me to lying. The element may been ok other than the fact that we had some freezing weather and I drained the hot water heater. I did check the In Command panel to make sure neither the gas or electric was turned on. LOL. Thanks to y'all now I know I have to call dealer and befuddle them on what they now need to do.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:59 AM   #8

Disappointed

In the past, when I had an issue, I was able to contact Forest River and talk to someone right away or they would promptly call back. I see that there is a factory rep. that I guess monitors the forum. He has shown a link to contact FR. Well I'm here to say that is BS that they will contact you in a timely manner. I filled out form on the link he posted over a week and a half ago. As you can tell I have yet to get e-mail or a call. I guess dealer must have same issue as they haven't called me either. It's a shame you pay out the ***** for an RV and cant get support.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
In the past, when I had an issue, I was able to contact Forest River and talk to someone right away or they would promptly call back. I see that there is a factory rep. that I guess monitors the forum. He has shown a link to contact FR. Well I'm here to say that is BS that they will contact you in a timely manner. I filled out form on the link he posted over a week and a half ago. As you can tell I have yet to get e-mail or a call. I guess dealer must have same issue as they haven't called me either. It's a shame you pay out the ***** for an RV and cant get support.
Please post a link to the thread where ES_FR gave you the information/form to contact someone at FR and we'll look into it.

Dan

Site Team

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 56; Booked = 52
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:43 AM   #10

Dan to be honest, I don't remember where I saw the link. He was replying to some ones thread but it was a link to FR.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #11

Dan I was just browsing when I saw a post about propane tanks and ES_FR replied. http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...42666009533251
Old 01-11-2020, 09:11 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Dan I was just browsing when I saw a post about propane tanks and ES_FR replied. http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...42666009533251
OK, thatís what I was afraid of. ES_FR is the member whose username is attached to those posts. They are constructed for the specific member to whom they are addressed including the FR DIVISION who built that specific userís unit. They are not addressed to Forest River but to a specific division service/warranty employee with the specific problem reported in that particular thread. Iím guessing your alterations to that specific memberís form sent your question to someone in another division who doesnít know how to answer your other division questions.

Let me find out if I can help get your questions to the division that built your unit and not to another division nor to the parent FR corporate office.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 56; Booked = 52
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:14 AM   #13
Site Team

As Bob Byrnes has pointed out before, Forest River Inc has a contact feature on their webpage.

You will just need to find which division, and or subdivision made your particular item. Then it will give the contact in the appropriate part of their vast corporate conglomerate to assist with the RV brand/make/model.

https://www.forestriverinc.com/Contact-Us

A Cedar Creek should be under the Forest River RV division....which is not the same as the parent company of Forest River, Inc.

It can get confusing differentiating between Forest River Inc, and division of Forest River RV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_River_(company)

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater