Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 08:22 AM   #1

Hot water heater/Water odor

How bad is it to not use a zinc in the hot water heater. The campground we permanently reside in during the summer has water with high iron content and causes a rotten egg odor and I believe it is coming from the zinc. Would it cause problems to remove the zinc and just drain the tank each weekend or does anyone have any suggestions. This was a new zinc at the beginning of the season and I run all my water thru a sediment filter and 2 whole house charcoal water filters. The ice and water have odors after draining my supply down weekly I was considering installing a ball valve and removing the zinc and doing a drain down at the end of each weekend. Will this damage anything. Suggestions? Thanks
Outlaw24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Not sure of your terminology here.

What are you referring to as a "zinc"?

Do you possibly mean an "anode rod" if using a Suburban tank type water heater? If so, these instructional videos may help you....including why you want to keep an anode rod in it, as well as the rotten egg odor removal.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...es-135977.html

Life is about changing perspectives and priorities: I used to worry if one of my hairs was out of place, now I don't care if they both are.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #3

Are you Sure the water supply is "Sulfur"insted of Iron? If it is Sulfur a Complete New Process is needed to remove that "Smell/Taste! Youroo!! Have a "Water Analyses Test" on your Water Supply!
Old 06-16-2018, 08:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Not sure of your terminology here.

What are you referring to as a "zinc"?

Do you possibly mean an "anode rod" if using a Suburban tank type water heater?
Yes the anode. Though they were made from aluminum or zinc I think mine is aluminum and I know its installed to reduce electrolysis like the anodes on a boat outdrive.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw24 View Post
Yes the anode. Though they were made from aluminum or zinc I think mine is aluminum and I know its installed to reduce electrolysis like the anodes on a boat outdrive.
Suburban anode rods all come stock with a "magnesium" rod, but you can also purchase an aluminum, if the magnesium sacrifices too quickly dependent on water sources.

This is explained in the previous link I posted above, and the anode rod is in the first video. The rotten egg odor, causes, and removal is on the fifth video there.

All of these instructional videos were provided to us by Suburban, and I highly recommend watching them, to learn more about your water heater. Here they are again:

Hope it helps.

Life is about changing perspectives and priorities: I used to worry if one of my hairs was out of place, now I don't care if they both are.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #6
Just as confused as you

Goes to show you how diminished education has become. When I was a kid everyone was taught early in science class that rotten egg odors came from sulfur or, well, rotten eggs.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Are you Sure the water supply is "Sulfur"insted of Iron? If it is Sulfur a Complete New Process is needed to remove that "Smell/Taste! Youroo!! Have a "Water Analyses Test" on your Water Supply!
Im sure it's iron you can see the rust particles in the sediment filter sulfur may be present also but definitely iron.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Suburban anode rods all come stock with a "magnesium" rod, but you can also purchase an aluminum, if the magnesium sacrifices too quickly dependent on water sources.

This is explained in the previous link I posted above, and the anode rod is in the first video. The rotten egg odor, causes, and removal is on the fifth video there.

All of these instructional videos were provided to us by Suburban, and I highly recommend watching them, to learn more about your water heater. Here they are again:

Hope it helps.
Thanks
Old 06-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw24 View Post
Im sure it's iron you can see the rust particles in the sediment filter sulfur may be present also but definitely iron.
I have never Smelled Iron,but I have smelled "SULFUR"! Youroo!!
Old 06-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #10

It is possible and probable that you have both iron and sulphur in your H2O. It is the sulfur and zinc combo giving you the problem on the hot H20. If so get the aluminum rod. If you have problems on both than you need more remedial actions as your H2O has a higher sulphur content.
grouchmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #11

Remove Anode Rod and Flush Generously before replacing Anode Rod.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:58 PM   #12

Hot water heater

If you have Iron use a water softner before you conect to camper. That should work up to 5 PPM iron.You can also have sulfer in water. One option is to put chlrox in TT fresh water tank then fill with water. Chlorine will take care of that. The water will need 30 min contact time to kill it Then put a carbon filter in your camper to remove excess chlorine. When a Mag rod is new it will collect the oder first then after awhile it will throw the oder into water
You could try and shock your heater with chlorine. That will work a little while then oder will come back again. Just a retired water conditioning dealer here. Good luck............
831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:04 AM   #13

With an aluminium hot water tank and high iron content in your water source you will have trouble if you plan to be at that location a lot.
Aluminium and iron do not play well together resulting in blackish foul smelling water from the reaction.
Is it possible to change out your water heater to one that has a steel tank?
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #14

Hot water tank

In my profession I found it makes no difference if it was a steel or glass lined heater. The Mag rod will still throw off the oder.............
831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #15

Quote:

Those videos are great. Thanks for posting them!
wannabeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #16

In addition to running a two stage filter.. one for sedimate and a carbon filter, we always bring a travel size "Berkey Water Filter" for filtering out drinking water on our trips. May be something you might want to look into.
The Lieutenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Goes to show you how diminished education has become. When I was a kid everyone was taught early in science class that rotten egg odors came from sulfur or, well, rotten eggs.
Ouch!

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater