Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 03:39 PM   #21
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

If temps go south and it seam all is lost please remember their is always a helpful neighbor. At least you can hire a RV repairman to winterize your RV for a few dollars. And then again there are motels....
Old 12-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #22

I was told to make sure there was some liquid in the tanks if you usr the tank heaters. The heaters may damage the tank if they are empty. Good kuck and wish your husband a speedy recovery.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #23

How Everything in an RV Works

A resource with a heckuva lot of information and also a fairly amusing read is the following article or blog post, "how everything in an RV works". I would highly recommend reading through them and especially the section on dumping black water tanks.

https://wandrlymagazine.com/article/how-everything-in-an-rv-works/#water-system
Old 12-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #24
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kway View Post
Stupid question where is the water pump located.

I'm sorry for all the questions I just am trying to prevent any disasters.

I put a gallon of water down the toilet with a packet of chemical. Will drain the tank when I get back from the hospital and taking dogs to the boarder. That's good. Yes?
Just a quick note - you put the chemicals/water down the toilet AFTER you drain the tank; that's what helps break down the solids in the next tankfull.

Hope things get better for you soon!!
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
Old 12-03-2016, 04:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Finding the water pump:

Without knowing the model year and model number of your RV, we can't help you find the water pump. If you post the year and model number, someone with the same one may be able to tell you where it's at.

Until then, I suggest opening all the inside cabinet doors and outside storage doors and see if you can see it. Also, if you shut off the city water and turn on the pump and open a faucet, you can probably hear it running, which may help you find it.

2015 Cedar Creek 38CK
Old 12-03-2016, 04:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
What is your location?????

Just south of Memphis in Horn Lake, Mississippi
Old 12-03-2016, 04:25 PM   #27

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate them more than you know! I'm so overwhelmed right now.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Just south of Memphis in Horn Lake, Mississippi
We live at just south of you at Hernando Point at lake Arkabutla we would love to help any way we can. Please just give us a call. 901-871-1658. Anything you need, we can be there in a short time
Old 12-03-2016, 10:21 PM   #29

Husband in hospital: Winter living questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkelter View Post
Hernando Point at lake Arkabutla we would love to help any way we can. Please just give us a call. 901-871-1658. Anything you need, we can be there in a short time

That would be awesome! I tried to drain the black tank today and my husband said I did it wrong because I didn't close the gray tank valves. He's ticked. So I came home tonight. Closed the gray tanks. Opened the black tank and turned the hose on to the sewer flush. It's washing now but my husband says the sewer water all went into the gray tanks because I didn't close them. I hope I didn't screw up too badly.

I did go to Lowes and get two ceramic heaters that we can use inside.

My husband wants me to check the propane levels. I will wait to do that tomorrow when it's light out.

I'm not new to RVing. I was raised in a family that always RVed. I'm just new to taking care of things that my husband has always done and I'm new to full timing. I will get it. I just hope I don't tear up too much in the process.

Feel free to PM me here. I'm Krys. My son will be here in the morning to help me better organize our storage unit across the street so that I can get to my winter clothes. Organizing wasn't a priority for my husband when he put stuff in storage.

By the way, I'm truly not a fruit loop. I'm a charge nurse in surgery at a local hospital and my husband is mid level management at a plant near downtown.

Thank you!
Old 12-03-2016, 10:56 PM   #30

Feel free to send me a PM or call me at 18707235563. Have stayed in WV PA and many northern states in winter. I am a pipelines and we take care of each other. I lost my sister in law this year so I know the worry and pain that can be put on a person. Call if you want and if I don't answer it because there is times I am not allowed to be on the phone. In Alabama and it's not hard to stay here you are if you set up correctly. I can give you you my experiences and knowledge if not considered right to some. Left the the Dakota to not be in the mess there. Sorry to here about your husband.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
Feel free to send me a PM or call me at 18707235563. Have stayed in WV PA and many northern states in winter. I am a pipelines and we take care of each other. I lost my sister in law this year so I know the worry and pain that can be put on a person. Call if you want and if I don't answer it because there is times I am not allowed to be on the phone. In Alabama and it's not hard to stay here you are if you set up correctly. I can give you you my experiences and knowledge if not considered right to some. Left the the Dakota to not be in the mess there. Sorry to here about your husband.

Thank you! Your area code is the same as my son's. He lived in Jonesboro but is now in Marion.

I have a life long friend David Pope who was in WV, PA, AR and the Dakotas working on the pipelines or maybe it was drilling. Anyway thank you. I will save your number.

I am so grateful to have all of these kind responses. ♥️
Old 12-04-2016, 01:22 AM   #32

After reading all the way through this string of posts I can't add anything to what the others have already said but I really hope your husband makes a full and speedy recovery.

I did find it very heartwarming to see all the advice, offers and good wishes come from members of the RVing community. Great to see there is still so much humanity left in the world.

You have a great RV which may appear to be a little daunting right now as you approach new challenges that you've never before faced but look at this as an opportunity to learn and develop new skills and knowledge. Once your hubby is back out of hospital you can show him how much you've learnt. Perhaps then, you'll be able to show him how to organize your storage locker as a trade off.

Best wishes for the days ahead.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Old 12-04-2016, 01:34 AM   #33
Site Team

Just a heads up from the site team.
It's best to send personal info, like phone numbers and addresses, through the Forum's PM system.
Any personal information posted on the website, can be seen by anyone, not just members.
So any of the many scammers that constantly are attacking the Forum website, can use the personal info that has been posted so far.
I advise those of you who want to share personal info with the OP, do so by PM and then request the mods to delete your personal information from this thread.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 12-04-2016, 06:27 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Just a heads up from the site team.
It's best to send personal info, like phone numbers and addresses, through the Forum's PM system.
Any personal information posted on the website, can be seen by anyone, not just members.
So any of the many scammers that constantly are attacking the Forum website, can use the personal info that has been posted so far.
I advise those of you who want to share personal info with the OP, do so by PM and then request the mods to delete your personal information from this thread.

I was looking for a way to edit my post but TapTalk doesn't have that feature. I've saved the above and am fine with deleting. I wasn't thinking last night when I posted.

Edit: I did the edit you requested.
Dan
FRF Site Team
Old 12-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
I was looking for a way to edit my post but TapTalk doesn't have that feature. I've saved the above and am fine with deleting. I wasn't thinking last night when I posted.
Actually, tapatalk does have a way to edit your post. You touch the text of the post and tapatalk presents a bar with 4 (on mine) options including Quote and More. Tap More and you're presented options including Edit.

Caveat: there's a time interval after which you cannot edit your post without site help.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 56; Booked = 52
Old 12-04-2016, 07:21 AM   #36

"The dogs won't be here."

The hassle with most small heaters is they can be tipped over, which depending on quality could cause a fire.

The oil filled radiators are far more stable , although they take up lots of room,

Perhaps one from Goodwill , so you could discard it eventually.

Heat is only 1/2 the comfort equation , insulation is the other half.

The glass area in most RV is high so almost anything that will insulate the glass is worth the effort.

Long term cold climate folks will install "warmshades" , but even just some bubble wrap on the inside will be a help.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:23 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Actually, tapatalk does have a way to edit your post. You touch the text of the post and tapatalk presents a bar with 4 (on mine) options including Quote and More. Tap More and you're presented options including Edit.

Caveat: there's a time interval after which you cannot edit your post without site help.

I must be passed that magical time. I don't get those options.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
I must be passed that magical time. I don't get those options.
You do get Quote, Report, Share and More though, right?

Edit: or how about Quote, EDIT, Share and More?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 56; Booked = 52
Old 12-04-2016, 08:06 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
You do get Quote, Report, Share and More though, right?

Edit: or how about Quote, EDIT, Share and More?

Not on my post from last night. Just on the one from this morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3062.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	126142
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3063.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	126143
Old 12-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #40

Situation

By now the OP should have enough information( all of it good, by the way) to deal, at least partially, and perhaps someone from nearby has helped out, and checked things. That is a community coming together.
If the OP is in a RV park, with other campers there are usually plenty of helpful people who will lend a hand especially when someone is in a fix.
If in a courtesy RV slot at the hospital, the maintenance guys are usually willing to help a bit on their off time (they aren't going to "work" on your rig while on duty, for obvious reasons). They won't accept money, and may refuse a tip, but sending a dozen muffins from Costco to their department would be appreciated.This situation goes a long way to illustrate the need for both parties of a traveling team, the husband and wife, to cross train. In fact as illustrated here, it is vital. Yes, I know we all divide things up, she gets the inside I get the outside, but (not to put too fine a point on it) the reason she doesn't know how to signal you or describe what the trailer is doing, is she has never been in the driver's seat while backing (and you have never been back their trying to guide, either, I'll bet).
Anyway, a few minutes showing her how to do things, WHILE YOU ARE DOING them can save a ton of headaches and worries.
She's gotta know about the two drains and why you leave one closed when you open the other, She's gotta know that she should turn the hose connector past the "click" when dumping, so it doesn't fly off when the fully loaded black tank is opened. She should know where the electric switch for the water heater is, and how to run it on propane, electricity, and or both, and should know and understand how the tank heaters work. And really, she should be able to prep, hitch up, and tow the rig safely at least far enough to move it safely, if needed.
Don't just do it once, re-teach frequently. It will pay off.
I sincerely hope and pray that the OP and her husband can get over this hurdle. A sick partner on the road is tough enough as it is. My sincere prayers are with you, ma'am.
And now MY offer of help. I will send you my phone number, and email by PM. If there are things you don't understand about your husband's hospital stay, or diagnosis or treatment, and you don't feel you are getting answers, or in a quiet moment trying to fall asleep after a long and trying day, you suddenly think of a question you should have asked the nurse or Doctor, feel free to call me. I am retired from 25 years practice in Primary Care, and Emergency Medicine.
I can help you understand what is happening, and/or what what you doctor has told you, and sometimes suggest what to ask. I don't give medical advice, but I do help people get through the ordeal, and help to understand what is going on, why certain things are done, and what to expect from the course.
As a positive, if you husband is complaining about the RV, he is probably feeling better.
Good luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
winter