Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2017, 06:41 PM   #1

Hydraulic Slide Mechanisms

Had an issue with our CC 29RE slide....Went to put slide in and heard a "loud" bang...Come to find out that 3 teeth on a cog that brings the slide in had broken off.....Drivers side/chairs/stove/fridge.......
Anyone have a similar problem????
j
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #2

Jim, Bummer on the slide out issue. I have not had any problems with my slide on our 33IK. I am not a slide expert but I think the cog or rack and pinion actually just acts as a support and alignment function on a hydraulic slide. The slide is extended and retracted with a hydraulic ram and the slide rides on the rack and pinion gear. I assume your slide still extends and retracts?

I think the cogs main purpose is to keep your slide aligned while extending or retracting. Did you notice if it got out of alignment?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:12 PM   #3

Yes that is correct...I was outside putting it in The defective "cog" was the one at the back by the ram/piston......That side went away in but the SQ connecting the front "Cog" did not move the frond end.....The cogs are white cast metal...Not a good design!!!!!! Had to jack out the front in to maintain both sides even.....New part was brought in overnight from Lippert in Indianna...I put new assembly in place and all worked again....This all happened in Sarasota,Fl the morning (Last Mon) we were supposed to leave on our treck back up north to Nova Scotia,Canada....Stopped to talk to my dealer's service department today and he tells me he keeps these parts in stock...Others have had same probs...He tells me to keep parts well lubed and I should run the slide in and out at least once every two weeks.....A short distance keeps everything loose.....
Old 04-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #4

Look at the top of tube the slide goes in and out. Probably bowed up on the top. Mine did once and is now again. You can drive the top bushing and cut and groove thru a washer and it should tighten up and not pop and get out of alignment. I will probably get a welder to get it fixed right by taking the bow out of top and weld a strap to strengthen it so it will not bow up again. Mine is the same slide. Herk 7797 gave me the CG fix from lippert about the washer fix.
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
Yes that is correct...I was outside putting it in The defective "cog" was the one at the back by the ram/piston......That side went away in but the SQ connecting the front "Cog" did not move the frond end.....The cogs are white cast metal...Not a good design!!!!!! Had to jack out the front in to maintain both sides even.....New part was brought in overnight from Lippert in Indianna...I put new assembly in place and all worked again....This all happened in Sarasota,Fl the morning (Last Mon) we were supposed to leave on our treck back up north to Nova Scotia,Canada....Stopped to talk to my dealer's service department today and he tells me he keeps these parts in stock...Others have had same probs...He tells me to keep parts well lubed and I should run the slide in and out at least once every two weeks.....A short distance keeps everything loose.....
Jim, I use a dry lube on my cog and rack. Is that what you are using?

Old 04-11-2017, 07:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Jim, I use a dry lube on my cog and rack. Is that what you are using?
I have sprayed the "cog" assembly with lots of "Rust Check" witch is an auto anti rust product.......Advised by dealer...Slide had been out for 3 months in Fl.....Now will move slides in and out periodically every two weeks.....just a few inches!!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #7

Great to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
He tells me to keep parts well lubed and I should run the slide in and out at least once every two weeks.....A short distance keeps everything loose.....
Good to know, I plan to sit for 3 months next winter and will have to put that on my calendar for every couple of weeks.
crrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #8

I have the same problem currently on my 2011 CC 36RE. I'm in the process of trying to get the slide repaired for the second time on the same slide out. The slide with the problem is the slide on the left side looking forward. The one with the stove, refrigerator and living room chairs.
The same gear that is breaking on yours as well. I'm now working with a repair center in Arizona to have them to try to correct the problem.
I do see a bow in the outer tube next to the hydraulic ram. With this bow in the outer tube it appears to be letting the enter tube with the gear thank raise up to high as the cog gear makes contact and does not make proper contact and fails.
Nobody seems to know why the outer tube is bowing. The side has been often and the outer rails are kept clean by brushing with a wire brush before operating the slide.
I have also noticed most of the screws on the inside of the 5th wheel over the slide frame have popped off. This I feel is from the excess torque during operation of the slide. Something is hanging up somewhere.
Perhaps in the next week or two during the slide repair we'll find out.
BGTGWEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #9

Do any of you guys have photos of what is supposed to be kept lubed on the slide mechanisms?

Thanks

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
Do any of you guys have photos of what is supposed to be kept lubed on the slide mechanisms?

Thanks
Here is a pic I found of one that needs serious lubrication. https://goo.gl/images/XVzmJZ

May not be exactly what you have but gives you an idea of what is being discussed

Old 04-12-2017, 05:56 AM   #11

Is slide out gear bad?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:17 AM   #12

Same thing happened to my 2017 34RE. Luckily mine was in the shop getting the opposite slide aligned and the tech said he heard a loud pop and found 3 teeth from the pinion gear laying on the shop floor. Only one side would operate. It was the pinion gear by the ram. As the hydraulic ram pushes or pulls the slide in or out, the pinion gear closest to the ram, turns a shafts that turns the pinion gear on the other end that moves that end of the slide in and out. Going back to the dealership next Tuesday to get the slides worked on for the 3rd time. Hopefully 3rd time is a charm. I have had nothing but trouble with the two main slides. Will have too turn off two slides at time to get one to work.
cody1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 02:35 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioTer View Post
Unfortunately, broken teeth on the cog can be a serious problem and may require professional attention to assess and fix.
but take into consideration *Safety First* and avoid Diy....: Ensure the safety of yourself and others around you. If the slide-out is not functioning properly, it's crucial to take precautions to avoid any accidents or injuries.
Better let a professional check it...or if not at least talk with the manufacturer
Mario, welcome to the forum, I see it is your 1st post.
While your advice is pertinent, you've resurrected a 6 year old thread. The issues are likely resolved by now.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, hydraulic