Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2021, 07:15 PM   #1

I am sick of my silverback

I apologize for the rant but I have a 2016 silverback 33IK. Let me say this is not my first but my 5th rv. This also happens to be the worst of all. Problem after problem and the proverbial straw just broke my back. So I am currently having two significant problems.

1. The kitchen slide ( the off door side) tilts out when making a right turn. Yes the top of the slide leans out. I have never heard of this before. I remember in the old days some manufacturers provided tension rods to hold the slides in but have not seen those in my last 3 Rvís. The rails and mount on the bottom seem to be intact and the slide operates without issue. So it got me thinking, what holds the top in? Has anyone heard of this and what was the solution?

2) my low point drain is now leaking. It looks like pex. Can someone confirm is a pex fitting is proper for that?

Thank you all in advance for any assistance.
theczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:24 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your issues. I also have a 2016 33IK. Owned since new. Iíve never had a slide issue or at least Iíve never seen it happen. How do you see it if turning hard right?

How hard do you bring that slide in? It is the last slide to retract if it operates like mine. I bring it in until the hydraulic motor really starts to drag down. I donít stop as soon as it is closed but continue to hold the button until the motor really loads up.

There are 2 low point drains by the stairs. One is red (hot) and one is blue. Mine have threaded caps. Are yours different?
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:46 AM   #3

Can't provide any insight on the slide problem.

My Silverback's low point drains are pex, and are actually controlled by valves located in a compartment behind a sliding door to the left of the passenger side access door.

If you are set up similarly, maybe one of those valves got jostled open a little.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:37 AM   #4

Dalford.

Thank you for your response. The way I initially found out was after a turn to the right the slide was leaning out. I pulled over and inspected and found a bottled wedged between the slide bottom and the floor. This bottle was in a bag under the dining table that had tipped over. So after this I keep an eye on the slide and it does not even take a sharp turn to see it tilting out.

The low point drains are like you’d and it appears the leak is at the fitting where it connects to the pipe. Figure I was going to replace with valves but wanted to
Make sure it was a standard pex fitting

Thanks
Old 10-25-2021, 07:40 AM   #5

Rich - that access is under the steps and there is only the vac and converter under these. It appears these is a space under the floor there when the drain pipe comes from. I just needed to know if that was pex so I could ensure I did not cut it off and have no way to plug it back up while on the road. Thanks again
Old 10-25-2021, 08:21 AM   #6

many of the older rigs had slide locks installed on the facia inside the rig because the pressure would bled down on the hydraulic system during travel and this held the slide in the closed position. I have heard of folks making their own travel locks by cutting a length of 2by to fit between the facia and the outside wall to hold things in place. I would caution if doing something like this to have a way to ensure you remove the locks prior to opening the slide something like the antenna waring sign for antenna up on the operator. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:01 AM   #7

A Jayco I owned before my current rig had slide lock bars, and indeed I forgot to remove them once. It was a winter trip, and when the slide didn't extend, I thought it had frozen in place.

Fortunately, I discovered my mistake before prolonged pressure from the slide mechanism damaged anything.

Could have been a very expensive error.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
many of the older rigs had slide locks installed on the facia inside the rig because the pressure would bled down on the hydraulic system during travel and this held the slide in the closed position. I have heard of folks making their own travel locks by cutting a length of 2by to fit between the facia and the outside wall to hold things in place. I would caution if doing something like this to have a way to ensure you remove the locks prior to opening the slide something like the antenna waring sign for antenna up on the operator. JMHO
I was planning on using some wood for the drive home. And like I said in my original post had these for an older unit. So the big question is:

What holds the top of the slide in on newer hydraulic slides?
Old 10-25-2021, 03:50 PM   #9
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by theczar View Post
I apologize for the rant but I have a 2016 silverback 33IK. Let me say this is not my first but my 5th rv. This also happens to be the worst of all. Problem after problem and the proverbial straw just broke my back. So I am currently having two significant problems.

1. The kitchen slide ( the off door side) tilts out when making a right turn. Yes the top of the slide leans out. I have never heard of this before. I remember in the old days some manufacturers provided tension rods to hold the slides in but have not seen those in my last 3 Rvís. The rails and mount on the bottom seem to be intact and the slide operates without issue. So it got me thinking, what holds the top in? Has anyone heard of this and what was the solution?

2) my low point drain is now leaking. It looks like pex. Can someone confirm is a pex fitting is proper for that?

Thank you all in advance for any assistance.
Not to make light of your issues, but if you only had those two issues (one minor, one not so much) in 6 years, you should count yourself lucky.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Not to make light of your issues, but if you only had those two issues (one minor, one not so much) in 6 years, you should count yourself lucky.

Tim
Tim,

Lol, now donít get me started on everything else that led to this rant. Understand and agree with you but unfortunately thatís not the case

Thanks, Tom
Old 10-25-2021, 06:21 PM   #11

Can't help with the slide issue other than to inspect all of the hardware and make sure everything is tight, and no welds have broken.
Regarding your low point drains, they are nothing more than ball valves. Mine started to drip, which would cause my pump to run periodically. I cut the old ones off, and got a pex fitting that was threaded. on the other end. I can now replace them by simply screwing, and unscrewing the valve itself for a 15 minute repair if I have a problem again. Check around. You can probably borrow a pex crimper. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/XFITTING-PEX-...E_PIPE_FITTING
and here is the ball valve.

https://www.amazon.com/Tulead-Female...WC7&srpt=VALVE

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:09 PM   #12

It's probably a leaking hydraulic ram. Others have had this issue.

I had all 3 of mine replaced under warranty.

Do a search on this forum and you will find more info.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:02 PM   #13
Global Nomad

When I bought my Cedar Creek, the kitchen slide inched out during the drive. It turns out the dealer did not COMPLETELY fill the hydraulic fluid. When I topped the fluid off, no more slide problem.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:59 AM   #14

Thank you both. I donít think the hydraulic system is the problem. Like I said the slide is not coming out. The top is tilting out and the bottom where the hydraulics are is fully retracted.

Still waiting to get a call back from cedar creek, sigh
Old 10-30-2021, 07:25 AM   #15

Did I read this right where there was a bottle wedged in there before? Did that cause some damage? It would seem to me to start there.

Thinking out of the box our slides drop down therefore when pulled in they will have a top leaning bias. Maybe I'm on to something maybe I'm not.

I hear you on RV quality and we probably all do. I had a '12 Silverback and it was a gem. Not so on my 2021 Champagne version.
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:12 PM   #16

I have a 2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway which has a very long slide on one side. When I picked it up at the dealer they said due to the length of the slide they noticed it seem to move out a little at the top. So to solve the issue they order me a slide lock which I use on the front top of the slide. It stopped the movement and Iím happy.

Dan and Carol
2019 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/4x4/long box
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway 38FLX
Full timers since May 2019
Axeman49 is offline   Reply With Quote