Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #1

I give up, water pressure lacking

Living in central Texas we have never needed to winterize our 2012 Forest River 5th wheel. Well we did anyway and now we are out in it the water pressure starts out strong but then to a trickle. Turn it off wait 30 seconds or so and pressure is back for short spell.

I have gone through everything and NOTHING works. Here is my valve settings so maybe these are wrong. So frustrating I sure hope someone can help me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191128_131209.jpeg
Views:	286
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	219984
TexasGolfBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #2

Your valves are in normal mode. Check the aerators at faucets for debris.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #3

Where are you pulling water from? Your symptom sounds like you're sucking air rather than pumping water. I had this issue when I winterized; the antifreeze hose wasn't properly connected to the plumbing and it was sucking air in.
If you are winterizing now (not clear from your text) make sure the antifreeze supply line is tight and in your antifreeze container. If you're trying to pump water to flush out the antifreeze, make sure you have water in the fresh tank. Also make sure your selector valve for the water input is turned to whichever source you want (fresh water or antifreeze).
Those valves are the water heater bypass; as Texas said, they are in normal mode so you are running whatever liquid you have through the water heater.
Charlie
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #4

I'm am dewinterizing now. We are at a KOA in Austin Texas. I never had this issue before so so I figured I did something wrong turning everything back the way they are suppose to be. Going on my second day. Low pressure in all faucets including shower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconer View Post
Where are you pulling water from? Your symptom sounds like you're sucking air rather than pumping water. I had this issue when I winterized; the antifreeze hose wasn't properly connected to the plumbing and it was sucking air in.
If you are winterizing now (not clear from your text) make sure the antifreeze supply line is tight and in your antifreeze container. If you're trying to pump water to flush out the antifreeze, make sure you have water in the fresh tank. Also make sure your selector valve for the water input is turned to whichever source you want (fresh water or antifreeze).
Those valves are the water heater bypass; as Texas said, they are in normal mode so you are running whatever liquid you have through the water heater.
Charlie
Old 11-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #5

I am hooked up to city water. Wouldn't that fill my water tank? If not I dont know how that works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconer View Post
Charlie
Old 11-28-2019, 03:55 PM   #6

Your FW tank has to be vented to draw water. Sounds like your vent line to the tank is blocked
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:59 PM   #7

Open your fresh water tank fill cap and see if that allows good pressure. If that fixes it,, you need to clear that vent line. Mine (TT) is right where I fill it.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #8

Okay thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Pedrick View Post
Open your fresh water tank fill cap and see if that allows good pressure. If that fixes it,, you need to clear that vent line. Mine (TT) is right where I fill it.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGolfBum View Post
Okay thank you
Are you sayin my fresh water tank needs water in it even though I'm using city water services?
Old 11-28-2019, 05:17 PM   #10

Also check the screen at the city water inlet if clogged and the check valve if stuck.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #11

Okay will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Also check the screen at the city water inlet if clogged.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:21 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGolfBum View Post
Are you sayin my fresh water tank needs water in it even though I'm using city water services?
No it does not nor does your on-board pump need to be on.

What does the flow look like coming out the hose where you attach to the city water connection?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:35 PM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
No it does not nor does your on-board pump need to be on.

What does the flow look like coming out the hose where you attach to the city water connection?
Right, you've got a flow restriction somewhere. If the water coming out of the hose end where it connects to the RV is normal, the restriction is in the RV.

If the flow is normal coming out of the hose, do you have a whole system water filter? If so, how does it look?

Those filters usually are removed for winterization so it's possible it's not fully engaged.

Ray
Old 11-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #14

I hope you've solved your problem by now, however if you haven't, start at beginning, take your hose off of the park hydrant ,check flow rate, good? No, try another hydrant, reattach hose and unhook it at your rig, still good? check your pressure regulator with it unhooked from the rig,good? Is your hose kinked anywhere? Is this a new water hose? may by 1/2' instead of 5/8". That can cut perceived pressure by restricting volume.

Let us know what you found please
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Right, you've got a flow restriction somewhere. If the water coming out of the hose end where it connects to the RV is normal, the restriction is in the RV.

If the flow is normal coming out of the hose, do you have a whole system water filter? If so, how does it look?

Those filters usually are removed for winterization so it's possible it's not fully engaged.

Ray
I removed the filter for winterizing. But I installed a new one. I might try water supply at a sight next to me.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #16

I have
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDON View Post
I hope you've solved your problem by now, however if you haven't, start at beginning, take your hose off of the park hydrant ,check flow rate, good? No, try another hydrant, reattach hose and unhook it at your rig, still good? check your pressure regulator with it unhooked from the rig,good? Is your hose kinked anywhere? Is this a new water hose? may by 1/2' instead of 5/8". That can cut perceived pressure by restricting volume.

Let us know what you found please
Just check another hydrant and something. Pressure is plenty. Hose is 1/2" and as always worked great. I've done something wrong when I winterized last month. I have looked at the valves over and over and can't find what's wrong. I guess I will limp by till I can get an RV repair place to fix it. All I've done is work on this stupid thing. I will just turn the water on and off to keep up the pressure during the 10 seconds I have. I'm sure it's simple but not for this old man. You all have been awesome.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:00 PM   #17

Sounds like a bad pressure regulator. I'd try hooking up to full hydrant pressure (leaving a faucet on) and see if that keeps the water flowing.
Could also try filling the tank and using the pump. That could confirm whether or not the issue is on the inside or outside of the camper.
hinkle_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:04 PM   #18

Try disconnecting from city water, put a few gallons in your freshwater tank, turn on the water pump, and see if you get pressure and flow that way...
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #19

I did
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkle_e View Post
Sounds like a bad pressure regulator. I'd try hooking up to full hydrant pressure (leaving a faucet on) and see if that keeps the water flowing.
I did and it still doing the same thing. It doesn't make since. Originally I thought my valves were not correct but now I'm completely lost. Seems so simple to fix.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:34 PM   #20

I agree that the pressure regulator that you may have attached to outside supply hydrant may be at fault. I had the same symptoms when mine went bad this fall. If you are using a pressure regulator, take the regulator off and try it.
Bdcothran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, pressure