Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: If you have a 38' or larger fiver do you
Love it at this size and are glad it has all the amenities? 46 74.19%
Hate it and wish you'd have stayed with a smaller 5 or even bumper pull? 0 0%
Wish it was even bigger? 8 12.90%
Live with it because it's 'nice' but hate parking/pulling/setup? 5 8.06%
Something other (fill in your own blank in a post)? 6 9.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #21
Toadman

Poll

I have to go with A simply because my 5ver is on a permanent site and I don't have to move it. I have a 38' unit that has 2BR and 2Baths and we love it, large kitchen area and plenty of room for the two of us and my daughter and her friends she may bring along.
Toadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #22

We have a 42 ft and absolutely love it. The thing that we like best about it is the second bath. I love that the kids have their own bathroom, off the bunkhouse and we don't have to share it. 5 people and 1 bathroom is NOT fun.

With 5 people, 2 cats and a dog, we need every bit of space that we can get. I love the big kitchen and living area. If it is raining, we aren't packed in like sardines.

As for towing, that would be another hubby thing. He did get a new truck along with the new camper. He said towing is easy, now that he has the diesel. We are weekend campers, so we pretty much travel within a 2 hour radius of our home, unless it is a long weekend. I always pick campgrounds that I know have large sites and that are easy to get into.

We had a 37 ft TT before that. Hubby says that the length difference really isn't that big of a deal. We have a very long driveway with a curve that he has to back down. He says that it isn't really that different. Neither one is fun, but he has gotten the hang of it.

The only thing that we don't like is the height, but that obviously has nothing to do with the length. Low branches ripped off our TV antennae on our maiden voyage. But, that would have happened no matter what the length of our rig was.

Best of luck to you and happy camping!

2016 Trips:16 Nights:41
2015 Trips:13 Nights:29
2014 Trips:13 Nights:31
CarolinaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #23

Big 5er to bumper pull

Our answer would be D) We sold our sailboat, needed a diesel to tow the replacement "lil Tug boat" I found a great low mileage 2500 HD that the owner had "attached" to a Challenger 5th. wheel. It was a great layout, the Silverado diesel pulled it well... But very difficult to get in and out of our driveway on a narrow country road, also hard to park in the State parks we like. The 5er was rear kitchen and axles way back because of rear weight, it had the turning radius of a large ship. We just purchased a FR, Wildcat T27RLS. Love it and shed about 5,000 lb's and not as tall, gained 3 MPG, if feels much safer stopping. Now I store everything in tubs in bed leave the lockable bed cover on and hook up to either boat or TT.... loving it.
Burk & Marsha
Burk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #24
Site Team

I picked the first option but should qualify that choice. I don't have to worry about towing mine anywhere. We love the size because we can fit our 3 kids, their friends and our 2 dogs all in it without being elbow to elbow all the time.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #25

Talking

It's 38' and with the bike rack down, it's 40'. We love it because we snowbird. But there are issues, like we left early than normal this year (end of Oct.) because the weather would be better (it was) and we left it in our campground site and went home for the holidays (driving just a truck you don't care if there is snow) - came back on Dec. 28. But you do always have to make sure you have a site big enough. We tell all the campgrounds we are 40'. BUT WE LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #26

I just traded a 35 foot fiver for a 42 foot fiver Heritage Glen 368. It is supposed to be in Ontario in 2 to 3 weeks. We moved up in preparation for my retirement, so we wanted all the amenities such as outdoor kitchen, king bed, residential bathtub, washer dryer prep and second bedroom. I didn't have problems with the 35 footer because we tend to stay at full service pull thru sites.. Looking forward to delivery, heading to Toronto RV show this weekend for 50 amp accessories
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #27

Love it at this size and are glad it has all the amenities? Nope, should have bought bigger and had Morryde pinbox pre-installed, as well as 6-point leveling.

B) Hate it and wish you'd have stayed with a smaller 5 or even bumper pull? Hate it because of lack of quality and problems, not because I want smaller or TT.

C) Wish it was even bigger? Yep, have a 40' on order.

D) Live with it because it's 'nice' but hate parking/pulling/setup? It looks nice, but the lack of quality minimizes our enjoyment. The only setup issue is the lack of 6-point leveling.

E) Something other (fill in your own blank)? NA.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #28
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I had two 5ers one a 28 ft and loved it then traded up to a 34 loved it also. Now as age creeps up on ya 5er no longer works for us now we have a 35 tt and no longer have to worry about all the stair steps at night or any other time. The height of the 5er was a bit much also love the lover profile of the tt and in crease in MPG. It's kind of like buying a ranch house in older age and getting rid of the two story house. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #29
CDR USN Ret

Put me down for A. Love having garage for HD, W/D, and second half bath. Garage becomes our computer room when parked. 10' longer than previous 5er, but not difficult to adjust driving skills.

Large National Parks (Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Canyon, etc) generally cannot take us - but I dislike their RV parks anyways. Too much like crowded Walmarts. Never had to pass up an area due to length - have always found nearby nicer (and generally cheaper) places to stay then drive into park (trying to wear out my Senior Pass).
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #30

Ours is right around 39' but looking at longer units plus would prefer the wider units like the River Stone, no issue with truck, ours will pull any 5th wheel out there and then some, just as long as we clear the car with the front of the trailer we are fine. Our biggest problem is staying under the 65' total length of truck & trailer.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #31

I had a 28' wildcat 5er loved the size and layout but alas the side delaminated and it was time for new one. Got a 31' foot fs superlite- similar layout but a foot higher :-( . its ok but loved the cat.
riverrat958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #32

We have the smallest of the Cedar Creeks; the 34RL which is real close to 37'. The reason we picked this one over the others Cedar Creeks is it will fit in my driveway and not block the sidewalk. This unit has everything we wanted and is perfect for our needs.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:55 PM   #33

Our first trailer is a 37' 5er, it's been a learning process but well worth it so far! Retiring soon and looking forward to towing it around the country!
atcla is offline   Reply With Quote