Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #1

Installing a hardwired Progressive EMS. Need advice

Hi all, I'm installing a Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50 Hardwired RV Surge and Electrical Protector in my 2017 Hathaway 36CKTS. My questions are (1) where does everyone locate it, (2) is there enough slack in the supply line from the 50 amp receptacle to the converter, (3) any advise or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
David17fq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David17fq View Post
Hi all, I'm installing a Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50 Hardwired RV Surge and Electrical Protector in my 2017 Hathaway 36CKTS. My questions are (1) where does everyone locate it, (2) is there enough slack in the supply line from the 50 amp receptacle to the converter, (3) any advise or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
That's where i installed mine. Different trailer but i had room behind my converter and just got a short piece of 3 conductor and spliced it in the ems.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #3

Anyone with a 36CKTS? I was thinking of installing it in the garage near the opening for the central vac.....
Previously:
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2016 Forest River Clipper 17FQ
Old 08-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #4

I have a tt, i removed circuit breaker panel and installed it behind there. Disconnected the feed from panel wired it directly to ems, ran #6 wire from ems back to panel. Reinstalled panel. You have to run #6 wire for the 50 amp ems.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #5

Quote:

Thanks!

I'm happy for you, our EMS-HW30C is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, ... very anxious to get it and get it installed, ... DW says I enjoy doing things like this to our Micro Lite so much, it's like an early Christmas, ... hope your install goes well, ... happy camping

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #6

Don't forget to carry appropriate wires as jumpers to bypass the EMS if it fails. It does sometimes happen, and you are stuck with no power otherwise.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Don't forget to carry appropriate wires as jumpers to bypass the EMS if it fails. It does sometimes happen, and you are stuck with no power otherwise.

Or....another member wired the unit in using extension cord ends so that if a major surge ever cooked the EMS one could simply unplug the cable ends from the EMS and connect them together.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:56 PM   #8
Jayhawker

I have the 30 amp installed in my TT behind the inverter/panel. I carry a 4 inch square junction box and 2 romex connectors and wire nuts with me in case the unit fails. With the 50 amp you might want the larger junction box a 4 11/16". Also you should know that the Progressive surge guard will not work with an inverter type generator. At least that is what I have been told.
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
I have the 30 amp installed in my TT behind the inverter/panel. I carry a 4 inch square junction box and 2 romex connectors and wire nuts with me in case the unit fails. With the 50 amp you might want the larger junction box a 4 11/16". Also you should know that the Progressive surge guard will not work with an inverter type generator. At least that is what I have been told.

You can put together an “Edison plug” to get past the inverter gen issue. Super simple fix.
Hurseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:38 PM   #10

I have a 2014 Ckts , I put mine behind the furnace cover to the left of the the fuse panel plenty of room to work the hard part was bending the cables into the ems , I also used the remote display in the basement, it lets me know if the power is alright
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlorrie View Post
Or....another member wired the unit in using extension cord ends so that if a major surge ever cooked the EMS one could simply unplug the cable ends from the EMS and connect them together.
He did that on a 30 amp model, cant do it on a 50 amp model cause of wire size.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:24 AM   #12

How necessary is having a fix for if they get fried? I thought these were bullet proof for the most part?
Old 08-15-2018, 08:09 AM   #13

We put ours on the shelf near the vacuum. Take a look in the basement behind the panel if I remember correctly the wire was suspended and may not be enough to mount the unit. Home depot has the wire though.

We had, had some major electrical issues shortly after getting our trailer due to a bad cord so I replaced the outside plug and all the wiring to the panel. That allowed me to prewire the 50C and mount it the hook up the plug and the panel. I ran the phone line up into the cabinet where all the switches are and mounted the monitor there. It's great anytime I can just check on it.

I'm very happy with it.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:32 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
He did that on a 30 amp model, cant do it on a 50 amp model cause of wire size.
I believe there have been some members on here who have done the same with 50A. I thought about it with our hardwired, but up north here, the price to get them was exorbitant. Looking on Amazon.ca, it would have been several hundreds of dollars to get to 2 female and 2 male ends. Here's an example of the prices I was seeing:

https://www.amazon.ca/Marinco-CS6365...PTR3WJ0S57TY7T

$171 for just a single male end.

So, instead I opted to just follow the directions and splice it into the existing power cord behind the distribution panel. If I ever need to pull it out, I can buy a few Mar connectors and a junction box for way cheaper.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #15

Thats gd info, way too much for a plug setup. Mine is easy to swap over sinve i put it right behind the panel
Old 08-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #16

I was planning on mounting mine on the garage wall near the opening for the vac. I (without thinking) ordered the unit with the display on the unit not the one with the remote display. I plan to disconnect the wire from the outside plug, pull it back toward the vac and add new wire from the EMS to the plug...
Previously:
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2016 Forest River Clipper 17FQ
Old 08-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #17

Quote:
I was planning on mounting mine on the garage wall near the opening for the vac. I (without thinking) ordered the unit with the display on the unit not the one with the remote display. I plan to disconnect the wire from the outside plug, pull it back toward the vac and add new wire from the EMS to the plug...

Before you go through the whole process of installation you might consider exchanging the one you have for the one (50C) with the remote display.

Every time I open the door to turn on a light, turn on the pump, check tank levels and so on I spend a few seconds also checking the remote display. Personally I think it's well worth the peace of mind and convenience for the remote.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #18

Regarding the bypass. Seems like a lot of work. Just mount the EMS closer to the input than the service panel. If you have an issue just put the wires back in panel. If you didn't shorten the original wiring it will always reach.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRockr View Post
Regarding the bypass. Seems like a lot of work. Just mount the EMS closer to the input than the service panel. If you have an issue just put the wires back in panel. If you didn't shorten the original wiring it will always reach.
"Just mount ..."?, ... not all of us have a choice of where to mount the EMS, we don't all have big open cabinets or an empty shelf with plenty of space to accommodate an EMS, ... some of us have very limited mounting space and have to mount our EMS the best way we can in the space we have, ... I personally like the plug-in idea and considered it myself, but finally decided adding four plugs to the package would just make an already crowded area even more crowded, ... the link below is to my install, its very crowded, plus difficult to work in, but I like how it turned out, especially where I was able to mount the remote display, so I could see it from the outside and also from inside the trailer, ...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ks-168206.html

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Anyone with a 36CKTS? I was thinking of installing it in the garage near the opening for the central vac.....
David, I installed mine on the shelf behind the sliding panel in the basement.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote