Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #1

Insurance

Hello Everyone,
I recently purchased a 2018 Cedar Creek Cottage CL but I am having trouble finding insurance. My current insurer, Progressive, will only insure the unit if I keep it fully mobile and not skirt, or add a deck. Any suggestions?
willyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #2

You could try

Insurance Quotes: Home, Auto Insurance | Foremost Insurance Group
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:00 PM   #3
Always Learning

Contact an insurance broker who is used to dealing with RVers. My choice was Miller Insurance Agency. Though, I also spoke with the folks at www.gilainsurance.com and have nothing negative to say about them.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:06 PM   #4

Your question is interesting, and I've sent it to a certain Progressive Supervisor that I happen to *know*...........If/when I hear, I'll let you know.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:02 PM   #5

If a cottage permanently parked, with skirts and a deck, can you get a homeowners insurance, like a mobile home?
Old 03-01-2018, 07:06 PM   #6

will this be in a rv park? are there other units in the park with the same additions? what do they do? have you tried mobile home insurance (permanent location) as opposed to rv insurance?
Old 03-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #7
Love Our 18 Cottage 40CCK

Good Sam (National General) Insurance Will Do it!

Good Sam (National General) Insurance Will Do it!

Do NOT think that you can get homeowners or mobile home insurance coverage for this unit, no matter whether it is permanently parked with skirting or not; because you CANNOT. If any company writes this policy than you have truly mis-informed them of what exactly you are insuring, and any claims in the future will NOT be paid. It would be a mistake on anyone's part to write such a homeowners or mobile home policy; as neither of these policy types will cover a Travel Trailer whether it sits still permanently or not. These are Travel Trailers and can ONLY be insured by Auto Policies...period end of story!

Good Sam (National General) Insurance. That's who we have....the trick is to NEVER speak to an agent, do everything online; then the specific questions won't come up. Sadly otherwise you may have to tell some mis-truths. No auto insurance carrier will insure a HOME; therefore you must act like the Cottage is exactly what it is - a Travel Trailer. Do NOT tell them it is permanent or stationary, do NOT tell them it is on blocks, do NOT tell them anything about skirting or decks. If you do any of these things, you will be told NOPE. You have purchased a travel trailer, which is designated as a moveable vehicle. You must ACT like it is being used as such; but it matters none as to whether you are actually on the move or not; with regards to a claim. I also highly recommend that you add their full-timer's coverage as well; as this covers liability in and around your Cottage as well while on your lot.

The rest of the companies are BOGUS with their coverages as pertaining to a Cottage. Progressive was a joke and so were the others; Good Sam (National General) is your best bet. Make sure that you sign up and get your quote from the Good Sam Insurance website; as National General sells other policies directly from their website that do NOT give you the same coverages!
desertcottage40cck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyum View Post
Hello Everyone,
I recently purchased a 2018 Cedar Creek Cottage CL but I am having trouble finding insurance. My current insurer, Progressive, will only insure the unit if I keep it fully mobile and not skirt, or add a deck. Any suggestions?
This is an interesting thread. I would ASSUME that it all depends on How the rig is titled. If it is titled as an RV I wouldn't see an issue. If you build a deck and it is not attached to the trailer (mine is not) I can drive away. I don't see it as an issue. What I do know is most insurers will not insure unless it's registered in the state it lives. Allstate doesn't care where it lives. Just has to be registered. My 5er is permanent in MA. I could not insure it there because I had no car registered there.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #9

Preliminary info I got from my Progressive contact is that they used to NOT write full timers but now they do.......but they do NOT write RV's that are permanent.

Lots of words here, lots of info.........some may be in the business, some may not.

I will only state this....that comparing RV insurance is impossible. The variables are Age, Location, Model, Claims History, and about 10 other things. ONLY when all variables are exact can any meaningful comparison be made. So, when someone says "Company X Is Awful" or "Company X Won't Do Such and Such", that may only apply to their case.........which is not like yours, guaranteed.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #10

Titling is always listed according to the manufacturer's specifications of the vehicle. This means that the VIN# and vehicle type are associated with recreational vehicle, travel trailer, motorhome etc. You are correct, decks should not be attached anyways as this could damage your rig; and a deck would never be considered part of the insurance for a vehicle. Not necessarily true about insuring in the state that it lives. For example, if one's home domicile is say Texas; and they also own vehicles that stay in another different state (for example a recreational property etc.); then the recreational vehicle can be located in the other state and insured at that specific address - even when the policy itself is listed in your primary state. Some insurer's are more picky than others about these details. The best advice is to never offer verbally more than you are asked; and always try to buy insurance using an online (no nosey agent method - from my experience).
Old 03-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #11

Folks....Please STOP using the term PERMANENT location with regards to getting insurance quotes for your travel trailer. Insurance companies do not understand (DOES NOT COMPUTE) if you make such statements - and you will be declined coverage on the spot. You own a TRAVEL TRAILER - it is meant to TRAVEL! Simply get your quotes as such and you will not have these issues with insurance companies stating that they won't insure such. There is NO such thing as homeowners insurance on a travel trailer; nor is their mobile home insurance for such either. Your travel trailer to them is NOT A HOME; it is a recreational vehicle. The great thing about Good Sam Insurance is that you can do it all online; and they have full-timer's coverage, which will protect you in some liability situations. Remember, insurance companies have no idea how often and when and where you travel to; so being in the same place for a long time matters none. You could have moved your travel trailer for 3 nights and then came back to your same spot; and then moved it for 3 months - but there is no record or burden of proof for such required by them - ever. You just cannot admit straight out to them that the Cottage is your home per sey. It's fine to be a full timer as far as they are concerned; if they offer such coverage - however it is not fine to act like it is a stationery home or you will NOT get insurance.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #12

Do a search on here for full time insurance. The OP on that one got a policy for the RV to be in one location only and saved a bunch. If they moved it they would not be covered though.

Try State Farm - we have everything thru them and have been great when needed.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
Do a search on here for full time insurance. The OP on that one got a policy for the RV to be in one location only and saved a bunch. If they moved it they would not be covered though.

Try State Farm - we have everything thru them and have been great when needed.
Yep, that's how mine works. They know I'm not full time. It stays in MA and I live in Florida 8 months. If I move it I have to call them. Don't lie to insurance companies. you will loose.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #14

I'm in the insurance business, have been for over 25+ years now, and can tell you some little 'secrets' about the 'business' of insurance:

A) All insurance companies would LOVE to offer the same exact insurance, the same way, at the same rates, for the same type of products, in all states.... BUT, each 'State' regulation is different. It's not insurance companies, it regulations. Most states have an 'Insurance Commissioner' who regulates the state's laws, supposedly for the 'benefit' of the constituents of that state, but too frequently to the detriment of most. One company might write RV coverage in one state, but not the neighboring state. There actually might not be a single insurance company that writes an RV in every single state. Crazy.

B) All insurance companies are different - they are each independent businesses that try to make decisions about what to sell, where to sell it, who to market it to, and even 'when' to sell it. Some will jump into every type of product, some only auto insurance, and others a mixture of several, especially depending on where they are located. A southern based insurance company probably won't be found trying to sell snowmobile policies, and some companies decide not to play in the 'nonstandard' auto insurance market, or 'antique' autos, etc. A few will write coverage for 'RVs', but even the definition of 'RV' is different with each, and some do not write motorized RVs, only trailers and fifth-wheels. Some would rather only have Class A, B, or C types, and not 'trailers'.

C) Even when your insurance company writes RVs, you may find out that their underwriting 'appetite' does NOT include 'full timers', but even the definition of full timing may be different between companies. Their own experience in paying claims is probably the biggest reason that some do, and many don't. An RV on the road all the time, or lived in all the time, can certainly be found to have more risk of insurance claims just by that alone. A 'fulll time' RV home is also likely because the owner is no longer a traditional 'home owner', and therefore does not have a normal Home insurance policy that covers them for Personal Liability, which a homeowner's policy typically does, EVEN when the home owner is on vacation in their RV! So, now the RV insurance company must add 'Personal Liability' coverage, an added risk to their claims department, if this is the 'full time' home of the owner. Some companies just aren't into this 'niche' market and don't want to tread the waters in this field. Throw in the fact that your other 'property' that may be in storage is NOT covered by any typical 'RV' policy, since an RV policy is simply a modified AUTO policy, which also has never coverad PERSONAL PROPERTY - that's what a homeowner's policy is for.

D) Even when you find that your insurance company will cover your RV, your new home, your full time abode, you find that they do not provide 'agreed amount' coverage for the price that you expect if it is a total loss - enough to give you peace of mind. They only provide ACV Actual Cash Value coverage, which is a 'depreciated' value, at the time of loss, just like on your 'normal' automobiles. Some companies, but not all, now may offer RC Replacement Cost coverage, which many folks now expect on their normal homes, and want on their 'mobile home' as well.

...now, throw in some more facts:

1) using a local agent or agency is great, since they may have some experience, but many don't have 'real world' experience owning and traveling in an RV, especially Class A types, so they and their staff may not really 'know' what you need... and they may have several if not many different insurance companies within their office, but only 1 or 2 who offer you coverage. If the agent is a captive type, meaning some of the '**Farm', and 'Nation**', and '**State', names, then they can only provide you information about THAT company's offerings, with rare exception to any more.

2) online insurance companies, the few that really are ONLY online, are a nice option, but YOU really have to know what you need - 'there ain't gonna be no ones to helps ya'. They ask a lot of questions, too, and if you put in the wrong 'check box', you may not even receive a quote since you may receive the: 'sorry, we don't offer this for your state, or your type of rv, etc.' speech.

3) aggregators...otherwise the online companies who provide 'multiple quotes from many different insurers' can also be another potential place to look. They are the same as your local independent agent, but may just have more companies in their fold. But, since only a relative few companies provide RV insurance, and especially 'full time' RV insurance, you may not really find this helpful, other than to tell you what your local agent already has.

4) Clubs, discounts, memberships, and other 'Insurers': States do not allow insurance companies to 'discount' or give any person a 'better' or 'different' rate just because they are using '*ARP', or '**DSam' as their source for an insurance quote. If a company has '$x' rate for you, your state, your zip code, your RV, etc., it WILL NOT be any 'better' just because you used them to quote it. Your local agent who provides the same insurance company will have the same price, everything being equal. It's ok for large companies to market their name and product side-by-side with others that you may have a membership or connection with, but otherwise it's illegal for anything else to be any different, though they are very good at marketing it to sound otherwise.

my advice:
- always start with the company/agent/agency who has your personal vehicles already insured... many times adding an RV, of any type, is fairly easy, at least to get you started. If your auto company doesn't do RVs, they can at least guide you to other options.
- when you've had time to settle down, and get to know your RV and your 'situation' for how you are using it, then take some time to feel out other options. Most folks don't find that RV insurance is very costly compared to auto insurance, at least on the 'normal' RVs within the 10k to 100k price range.
- if you're not sure whether you are a 'full timer' or not, err on the 'not' side. Once you say or suggest 'yes', you may find you have just limited yourself quite a bit. You can always change to 'yes' later if it really fits. If you own a home, then you are 'not' a full timer, you just have a lot of time and fun in your RV! If you are parking your RV by the lakeshore fishing camp in it's 'forever' place, then you are 'not' a full timer, you just don't travel much. If your RV has a chassis and wheels, then it is simply an RV, regardless of how 'often' it moves. Don't confuse this with a 'mobile home', that's a whole different animal!(and it has it's own problems within the insurance industry). How you use your RV is up to you, but sometime when you provide 'too' much information, you create more issues than you solve.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Get a progressive full timers policy.
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:55 PM   #16

There is a lot of good information here. Full timing has challenges and insurance is on I don’t quite have figured out. I have State Farm but I worry about a claim being denied if something happens while my skirting is attached. The biggest worry is I know the camper will be covered but the contents is a big question mark. I will be looking into some of the recommendations made here.
1998 Rockwood popup
John Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #17
Site Team

We have State Farm as well. They did get a little confused when we told them it was parked permanently at a CG but once we told them that the wheels were still on it and that it was still "movable" it was fine.

Had no problems making a claim the one time we had our awning get caught by some wind and flip over the roof.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:32 AM   #18
edt

Quote:
Hello Everyone,
I had my cottage insured with Foremost mobile home insurance you can set value and it also comes with liability insurance if you own your on lot
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Hello Everyone,
Do not attach the deck to the trailer. Do not mention the skirting. You added that after the fact. It is titled as an RV. that's all they need to know. Liability is covered by your Homeowners policy. Contents is declared by you.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #20

Keep it simple. Just the bare facts. To much information will come back to bite you.
ba964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance