Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2022, 10:28 AM   #1

Inverter

What could be causing my inverter to only run the refrigerator and lights but not the AC, microwave and outlets?
KnightsTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:31 AM   #2

Exclamation

Unless you have a huge battery bank and a very high wattage inverter, those other devices will not operate off the inverter. It's only intended to provide power to the fridge and perhaps a TV and one or two outlets. Your lights are very likely 12 volt and are powered by the batteries, not the inverter.

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:39 AM   #3

Inverter

What is the watts rating of the inverter?

The 13.5 BTU AC will require about 3600 watts starting and about 1800 watts running. Depending on microwave wattage, it will require about 1500 to 1800 watts. In both instances, you will need some 125 to 250 amps pulled from the battery. You will need multiple big batteries for this type of demand. And they will be quickly discharged. Otherwise, not advisable.

If the refrigerator is on LP then it only requires 12 DC for the control panel. Lights are most likely from the 12 volt system.

You will have to determine how the inverter is wired for the outlets and other items and how it will change over from shore power of 120 volts to inverter power of 120 volts.

To answer your question; "probably not wired and configured to do what you expect".

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:58 AM   #4

whoever installed the inverter probably did not connect the A/C or Microwave into the inverter circuit...

if you want to power high amp devices you will have to upgrade you battery bank
costs a lot to power up the A/C via battery power
Old 07-21-2022, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
whoever installed the inverter probably did not connect the A/C or Microwave into the inverter circuit...

if you want to power high amp devices you will have to upgrade you battery bank
costs a lot to power up the A/C via battery power
From posts over the years it appears that the factory installs a 1 Kw Inverter for the residential type refrigerators and wires them to power only that device.

Not big enough to run the A/C or Microwave so no point in connecting them to it.

As you point out, to "Whole House" an RV that's designed to operate on a 30 amp supply would require more like a 3 Kw Inverter ----------and a whole lot of batteries.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:48 AM   #6
Texas Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightsTale View Post
What could be causing my inverter to only run the refrigerator and lights but not the AC, microwave and outlets?
As TitanMike indicated, Cedar Creek RVs of the last few years (and others) have an inverter that is dedicated to provide 120v AC to the residential refrigerator. In other words, the output of the inverter is wired directly to the refrigerator and nothing else.

The other items you noted, such as lights, are DC (direct current) and are powered directly from your battery. They are not connected to the inverter.

As provided from the factory, the remainder of your AC appliances (microwave, TV, etc.) and your AC outlets in the RV are wired to get power only from shore power.

To change this, so that all appliances could be supplied with sufficient power from your inverter, you would need 1) a larger capacity inverter, 2) a larger battery bank, and 3) a bit of rewiring to properly connect it all. It's all doable. I just did it to my new CC 360RL, plus am adding additional solar power. It just takes a bit of study to understand how to size it all, a bit of work and, of course, $$$. Or, you could have someone do all of that for you, which would only take the $$$$$.
1 Wife & Supreme Commander
"Destinations may be forgotten ... it's the journey you remember."
jledwards0117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 03:57 PM   #7

I believe inverters were primarily added to towable rvs when they started using residential refrigerators for towable rvs. Previous rv refrigerators operated on either 12v dc, which was available from the house battery, converter when on shore power, or propane. Most would automatically switch to propane when not plugged in to shore power. This would keep the refrigerator cold while traveling down the Highway from place to place.
With the popularity of the residential refrigerators that operated on 115v ac an inverter was added to allow the refrigerator to remain cold while traveling down the Highway when not plugged in to 115v power.
Just because you have 115v ac from an inverter, does not mean you have an unlimited supply of power. As others have said it would take a larger inverter and much larger supply of batteries. The primary purpose of existing inverter is to provide 115v ac to refrigerator while traveling.
Hope this is helpful.
Old 07-23-2022, 05:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex50 View Post
Previous rv refrigerators operated on either 12v dc, which was available from the house battery, converter when on shore power, or propane. Most would automatically switch to propane when not plugged in to shore power. This would keep the refrigerator cold while traveling down the Highway from place to place.
No, previously 2-way fridges(110v AC/propane)were the RV Industry standard, except for 3-way fridges in popups or truck campers. 2-way fridges only used 12v power to light the propane side.
Never seen a 12v DC/propane fridge in any RV.
Yes, a number of years ago, residential fridges started appearing usually in larger RVs.
During the pandemic, manufacturers started installing 12v only fridges because they were cheaper and larger than most 2-way fridges.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:21 PM   #9

Inverter

As I've written or posted before on the topic of inverters, one MUST understand the power requirements of the various appliances and fixtures one expects to run from a 120 VAC inverter. Each appliance states its requirement in watts and in some cases amps. To convert amps to watts, multiply the amps by 120. As in 13 amps x 120 = 1560 watts. Typical of an AC unit running, not starting.

Secondly one must understand how much power the batteries must supply for the inverter. Again this is stated in amps. Thus in the example above, 13 amps for the AC times 120 volts = 1560 watts. Now since the inverter works from 12 volts DC we use the same method except we take the watts and divide by 12 for the DC amps. 1560/12 = 130 amps. It takes a BIG battery bank of multiple batteries to supply this much power for any length of time.

That is why the inverter is sized to only run the refrigerator and nothing else.
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 11:16 AM   #10

Since this thread is about Inverters, I have a question since I just purchased a new Geo Pro.
1) When I am on shore power, should I turn off my inverter?
2) When I am on shore power does my 12V refrigerator automatically switchover to run off the 30 AMP service?

Thank you!
Amy
2022 Geo Pro 19BH
ButterflyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 11:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyDogs View Post
Since this thread is about Inverters, I have a question since I just purchased a new Geo Pro.
2) When I am on shore power does my 12V refrigerator automatically switchover to run off the 30 AMP service?

Thank you!
Amy
2022 Geo Pro 19BH
Many RV inverters have a transfer switch internally that will pass through the shore power when available, if so then just leave it alone and it will do it's thing.

Your 12v refrigerator has no switching over to do. It is always 12v powered from the battery. When on 30amp power your converter (or inverter charger) keeps the battery topped up and powers your 12v items.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:38 AM   #12

Hi, thank you but when I am on shore power should I turn off the inverter?
Much appreciated,
Amy
ButterflyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Hi, thank you but when I am on shore power should I turn off the inverter?
Much appreciated,
Amy
It depends, i don't know how your specific rig is set up.

I'd recommend you find out what inverter you have and look up it's manual for guidance. If it has a built in transfer switch then you can leave it on, if it is an inverter charger combo then you have to leave it on so it can charge your battery.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:01 PM   #14

Quote:

Thank you!
Amy
2022 Geo Pro 19BH
Also in the future you should make your own topic when you have a new question unless it is about the same thing as the original post.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:10 PM   #15

Inverters are energy hogs reguardless.

On standby they can consume 1-2 ah dc. Would deplete a car battery fairly quickly.

Good design is to have an easy access on off switch for the inverter. Only on when absolutely necessary.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:32 AM   #16

Generally the inverter is for the refrigerator only. This is so your stuff will stay cold and frozen until you get to your stop
rmilner001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter