Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2020, 12:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel13 View Post
Thanks for your input. The purple cable is supply Power 110 volt and that is working as I plugged a vacuum cleaner in it and it ran. If I leave the black cable plugged in to the inverter it shows that it sees the 110 but will not switch over to the 110 when unplugged it sees the batteries and runs off them perfectly fine. The batteries are charged by the converter and solar so are able to keep the fridge running
As a test to ensure that hot, neutral and ground are correct in the receptacle that the inverter plugs in to test it with a receptacle tester. If you dont have a tester run an extension cord from the pedestal and plug the inverter cord into that to isolate rv wiring. If fridge comes on then there is a wiring issue to that receptacle...
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Yes I have seen purple romex in the RV industry, along with lime green, orange, yellow, red, white and even black!... all the same gauge!

The R/V industry has the stuff made so the factory workers can more easily identify circuitry.

They do the same with coax cable but even then it often gets connected incorrectly.

I know you know this but... not everything you come to know in your 50 year sticks and bricks career can be applied when it comes to R/Vs.

Oh... and you added your last paragraph in post # 15 in an edit AFTER I posted my reply to you.
Not buying this explanation. I have done some research and nowhere can I find purple, lime green or red romex.

Romex does come in colors. White is 14 ga. yellow is 12 ga orange is 10 ga. Black is 8ga. Been that way for many,many years.

All these colors represent a specific size wire. Never are they the same size wire!

I have not found any romex spcificly made for the RV industry. I am old and retired and don't profess to know everything. I do like to learn new things. Can anyone point me in the direction to learn about this new colored romex?. Who makes it? Where can i buy it? I am all ears.

The purple wire in the picture does not even look like romex. It appears to me to me Marine sheathed wiring. But I'm old and can't see as well as I did when I was 20.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:29 AM   #23

yes, it seems the factories only really do what works for 'them', rather than thinking past that to what the 'customer' needs to know. A purple wire does not invoke anything to the end customer, but a simple 'label' with the work 'Inverter' printed on it might just give the customer a 'hint' as to it's purpose...but that might be asking too much : /

One example is my own Main Panel, and it's labeled 'circuit breakers', which we all have. They can be labeled with a 'printed' label, or they might be 'scribbled' with a pen by a well-meaning but otherwise not-so-easy-to-understand handwritten wording. Sometimes even the 'terms' that are on the labels are not readily or easily understood by the future owner - 'Inverter MAIN' and 'Inverter MAIN' are the two on mine.
What does 'Inverter MAIN' mean? Well, as a newby owner, I really had no idea, as I thought the Inverter was only an 'output', not something that a breaker would be supplying 120v shore power or generator power to, but that's what it 'seemed' to be saying... confusing.
I later started to understand the workings of the Inverter, how the 'integrated' Inverter/Charger handles off-grid power and the Charging of the batteries when on shore or generator power, but why would there be TWO of these breakers?

O.k., so I'll stop with the primer, for those who know what this is about, but the first 'Inverter MAIN', on the left side of my breaker panel, is the FEED to the Battery Charger, and also the 'PASS THRU' of 120v shore or generator power to circuits that are run FROM the Inverter.
The second 'Inverter MAIN', on the far RIGHT side of the breaker panel, is actually NOT within the Main Panel itself, at least from a schematic standpoint, it is actually the MAIN breaker FROM the Inverter, and to several individual circuits that power all of the OUTLETS within the coach. Since this main breaker, and it's individual circuit breakers next to it, are 'within' the Main Panel, it's confusing - but they are actually part of an integrated SUB-PANEL, which the Inverter powers, when off-grid, and what the 'pass thru' of shore or generator power provides, from the original 'Inverter Main' breaker.

Confused yet?

If the factory had simply realized that LABELING the breakers in a more INFORMATIVE method, or use of TERMS, it would go a long way in helping the new owner understand 'what' these labels actually REFER to.
While I understand that the very nature of the cramped Main Panel area requires the use of 'truncated' or shortened 'terms' that can be used on the Labels, defining 'how' the terms get labeled is EXTREMELY useful, and important.
Does the term 'Inverter MAIN' mean anything that could be readily understood by a new owner? Doubtful.

Maybe another set of terms would be better: 'Inverter INPUT', and 'Inverter OUTPUT', maybe. At least that clarifies 'where' the power is coming in, or going out, though I also realize that because an Inverter really doesn't 'USE' 120v power, the term could still be slightly confusing, if you don't understand the relationship between the Inverter and the 'Pass Thru' of 120v shore or generator power.

Maybe 'Inverter PASS THRU', and 'Inverter SUB PANEL' would be even better. Nope, sorry, like when texting first started to take off in the 90's, you were LIMITED to only a certain number of 'letters' or 'words' in your text. These new terms would take up too much precious room on a breaker LABEL, and therefore would have to be truncated or shortened even more. 'Inv Pass' and 'Inv SUB', might suffice, but then again, who would really know 'what' those mean?

Maybe, again, the factory should provide a 'schematic', on paper, or a larger label elsewhere in the coach, where these 'terms' could be spelled out with much more detail, and relationship with the other devices and breakers and circuits within the scheme of the electrical wiring.
If something had told me originally that the two 'Inverter Main' breakers were not duplicates, and actually have a relationship, though almost opposite in what they do, it would have made a much bigger impact in my understanding, especially when things 'go wrong' when you are traveling or camping, especially off-grid.
Even an 'arrow' pointing or curving in or out on the label might be a better 'visual' of what the breaker is designed to handle. My second 'Inverter Main' breaker is actually NOT getting it's power from the power buss bar behind it, as you might expect normally, but is being 'back fed' from the Inverter's output, which then flows THRU this breaker, to the power buss bar, where the Individual Circuit breakers then get THEIR power....crazy, but it works, and now I understand it, after 4 or 5 years of ownership. : ) Enjoy.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #24

Quote:
I just picked up our 2020 cedar Creek 29rw and I have a question about the auto transfer from battery to shore power on the electric only refrigerator. It seems ok on the inverter battery use but doesn't switch to 110 volt unless I unplug the black plug see pic and leave the inverter on? What am I doing wrong?
On my inverter shore power goes through it whether I have it enabled or disabled by pushing a button on the front of the inverter next to voltage reading. Sounds like something wrong with wiring or an electronic component that has gone bad.

What does you dealer say? I would definitely be in contact with them as this should have been discovered during their/your PDI. Did they give you instructions on how it works. I know my dealer didn't go into great detail about the inverter, but I probably have learned more through this forum and talking with Orvan (Amish Family RV) on how to utilize it. I probably (being manly and somewhat intelligent) poo-pooed it when the dealer went over the inverter and said I understood it. Basically I knew it was there and that it was to supply power to the refrigerator when not connected to shore power. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
With ours, when we connect to shore power the inverter light turns green and I simply push the on/off button on the inverter to turn it off. I guess I could leave the inverter on but I don't see the need to do so.
I use to only turn on the inverter when we would be traveling and not connected to shore power. However through the recommendation of Orvan (Amish Family RV), I now leave it on continuously since he looked at my unit at the rally in Goshen. Orvan's basically said to keep it connected in case you lose power while on shore power and are not able to be there when it goes out. It probably will not last through a real lengthy power outage like a day, but will save you should you have significant interruptions like a few hours. The hum from the inverter can be heard when on, but becomes insignificant as you become used to it.

Think about if you left for an amusement park or other excursion early in the morning and shortly after leaving power goes out. You don't realize that it has and you come back later that evening and food has started to spoil. Or in the middle of a severe thunderstorm and power goes out, do you really want go outside and flip the inverter on?

I leave mine on and don't have to remember to turn it on when not connected to shore power.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:03 PM   #25

My dealer will replace the inverter under warranty. They have been texting me and helping troubleshooting the problem. Looks like a new inverter is the answer. By the way my dealer is awesome. Seven Os in Cicero NY
daniel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:21 PM   #26

Quote:
My dealer will replace the inverter under warranty. They have been texting me and helping troubleshooting the problem. Looks like a new inverter is the answer. By the way my dealer is awesome. Seven Os in Cicero NY
Glad you are getting the needed help from your dealer. Hopefully this will resolve your problem.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:57 AM   #27

Please report back once the issue is resolved...Good luck.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:09 PM   #28

"Romex" is a brand name. Not all copper wire with a plastic sheath is Romex - just like not all tissue is Kleenex.
Artmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:54 PM   #29

I just saw this post from an email and quickly read thru it. We have a 2018 Arctic Wolf 255 5th wheel that we just purchased new in January. It has an LG 120 volt refrigerator.
When off of shore power, there is an inverter button on the panel that allows me to switch the inverter on to power the refrigerator.
I thought that I would mention this to add some more confusion to the post.
markrmasters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, inverter, power, shore power