Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2020, 08:58 PM   #1

iRV stereo/tv connection question...

I have attached a pic of the stereo I have in my 202037mbh. I’m trying to figure out if it’s possible to play the sound from my tv through the speakers of the iRV system. I see on the back of the tv there is an hdmi arc connection coming out of it running to the back of the stereo (I assume). I’ve tried every mode in the stereo with no luck. I can play a dvd through the stereo and sound comes through stereo speakers and video through tv, but just can’t get stereo speaker sound straight from tv or from my fire stick plugged in to hdmi 2 on the back of tv either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1050.JPG
Views:	1109
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	223585
TruckDriver1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:30 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We have a different iRV system but we have to set ours to DOT/DCC IN to get the tv through the system even though there is a TV AUDIO setting. (using the SRC (source) button)

And... it takes a few seconds for the sound to come on after the selection is made so it's easy to blow past it when checking.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
We have a different iRV system but we have to set ours to DOT/DCC IN to get the tv through the system even though there is a TV AUDIO setting. (using the SRC (source) button)

And... it takes a few seconds for the sound to come on after the selection is made so it's easy to blow past it when checking.

Appreciate the response. Is the src (source) button different than the “mode” button you see in the pic? Just curious, as the mode button does not bring up any dot/dcc options. I’m not currently in the trailer, that’s why I’m asking vs just going out and fiddling. Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:56 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver1973 View Post
Appreciate the response. Is the src (source) button different than the “mode” button you see in the pic? Just curious, as the mode button does not bring up any dot/dcc options. I’m not currently in the trailer, that’s why I’m asking vs just going out and fiddling. Thanks again.
I don't know. Again, ours is a different iRV model (iRV66) so I can't say for certain.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I don't know. Again, ours is a different iRV model (iRV66) so I can't say for certain.

I guess what I’m asking is if your system has a “mode” button as well as a source button?
Old 02-19-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

No it does not.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200219_091037.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	223604

Old 02-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #7

Ours uses MODE. “TV AUDIO 2”
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
Befuddled wanderer

My rig does not have the exact same radio as yours, but it is similar. I just purchased it last summer and was having trouble with the radio reception, so I had the radio out of it's mounting location to look at how they did the wiring and what not. I determined that there was an HDMI line going from the radio to the TV so that someone could hook up and X-Box or something like that to the radio for the sound and then the video would feed to the TV, but there was nothing that came back from the TV to the radio. I determined that if I wanted to have the TV sound fed through the radio, I would have to run a line back from the TV to the radio. In order to do this, your TV would need some form of Audio Out jack (often a headphone jack). You would need to find the proper cable to run from this jack to to an input on your radio. If I had to guess, I would think that your TV would have a headphone jack with the same plug as the "Aux" input on the front of your radio, so you should be able to run a cable between the two and then use the "Aux" input on your radio to play the TV.

My particular radio has some RCA type inputs on the back, so perhaps your radio does as well. If it does, you may be able to find a cable that would plug into the headphone jack on the TV and the RCA type inputs on the back of the radio. That would allow you to hide the cable using the same path as the HDMI cable that goes from the radio to the TV. I'm not sure what mode the radio would use for the RCA jacks on the back, but you should be able to figure that out.

I didn't bother doing any of that because we rarely watch TV while camping and when we do, the TV speakers work good enough for us.

Hope this helps!

2020 Rockwood Ultra Light 2891 BH
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 8.0L V10

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"
cc102bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc102bob View Post
My rig does not have the exact same radio as yours, but it is similar. I just purchased it last summer and was having trouble with the radio reception, so I had the radio out of it's mounting location to look at how they did the wiring and what not. I determined that there was an HDMI line going from the radio to the TV so that someone could hook up and X-Box or something like that to the radio for the sound and then the video would feed to the TV, but there was nothing that came back from the TV to the radio. I determined that if I wanted to have the TV sound fed through the radio, I would have to run a line back from the TV to the radio. In order to do this, your TV would need some form of Audio Out jack (often a headphone jack). You would need to find the proper cable to run from this jack to to an input on your radio. If I had to guess, I would think that your TV would have a headphone jack with the same plug as the "Aux" input on the front of your radio, so you should be able to run a cable between the two and then use the "Aux" input on your radio to play the TV.

My particular radio has some RCA type inputs on the back, so perhaps your radio does as well. If it does, you may be able to find a cable that would plug into the headphone jack on the TV and the RCA type inputs on the back of the radio. That would allow you to hide the cable using the same path as the HDMI cable that goes from the radio to the TV. I'm not sure what mode the radio would use for the RCA jacks on the back, but you should be able to figure that out.

I didn't bother doing any of that because we rarely watch TV while camping and when we do, the TV speakers work good enough for us.

Hope this helps!

That’s odd...hdmi should carry both sound and audio from the tv to the stereo...I just can’t figure out how to get to the correct mode in order to hear the tv through the stereo. My “mode” button only has 3-4 options, with none of them doing anything. Maybe I didn’t leave each mode on long enough for the connection. Thanks for the effort!!
Old 02-19-2020, 11:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
Ours uses MODE. “TV AUDIO 2”

Does it take long for the sound to come through once you switch the mode to tv audio 2? This is a very minor issue, but the little things are what drive me nuts.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:48 AM   #11
Befuddled wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver1973 View Post
That’s odd...hdmi should carry both sound and audio from the tv to the stereo...I just can’t figure out how to get to the correct mode in order to hear the tv through the stereo. My “mode” button only has 3-4 options, with none of them doing anything. Maybe I didn’t leave each mode on long enough for the connection. Thanks for the effort!!
The HDMI cable itself will carry sound and video in either direction, but as far as I know, on most devices the HDMI plug will either be an "Input" or an "Output", but not both. That means that each device is set up for communication in only one direction. In the case of this system, I believe the HDMI plug on the radio is an "Output" while the HDMI plug on the TV is an "Input". Most TV's are built to accept Video and Audio IN on the HDMI plug, but if you want to get Audio OUT, then you need to find a specific connection labeled "Audio Out" or "Headphone", etc. Some TV's have an Audio Out connector for optic cable, but I doubt that your iRV radio has an optical cable input.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #12

[QUOTE=TruckDriver1973;2271669]I have attached a pic of the stereo I have in my 202037mbh. I’m trying to figure out if it’s possible to play the sound from my tv through the speakers of the iRV system. I see on the back of the tv there is an hdmi arc connection coming out of it running to the back of the stereo (I assume).

We have similar model in our ROO. The HDMI has to be plugged into the ARC hdmi jack on the TV to get sound. However on mine I still wasn't getting sound. So I unscrewed the receiver and slide it out to check the connections. The HDMI cable was plugged into the receiver but they didn't remove the shrink wrap first. The HDMI plug was pushed through the plastic into the jack and not making connection. I unplugged it, removed the plastic and plugged it back in. It worked fine from then on.
You might might want to check that.
F150 XLT 3.5L EB
Tim-Nancy-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:08 PM   #13

Turn your TV’s audio control to “mute” and select the TV on your IRV and it should play through your IRV speakers or sound bar.
Conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:24 PM   #14
Befuddled wanderer

Well.... Apparently I don't pay enough attention to Video/Audio standards, probably because I'm getting to be an old fart that doesn't care that much about TV and radio anymore. I re-read some of these posts and realized I didn't make the proper mental connections to the reference of "hdmi arc". I went and looked that up and discovered that apparently it IS fairly common for a TV to have an HDMI circuit that delivers audio out to a sound system.

I do have a picture of the back of my radio and looked at it again and realized the HDMI port is labeled HDMI ARC. I will have to go back and see if the TV in my trailer has an HDMI ARC port as well. I do know that when I was working on the system last summer I couldn't get the TV to play through the radio, so I assumed it was not possible.

I still don't actually care that much, but I happen to have a personality type that once I realize something should work, it drives me nuts if I can't make it work!

Old 02-19-2020, 02:50 PM   #15

There may be more than one HDMI connection on the tv. Ours has three and there is a specific one to be used with the stereo. Hope you get it figured out. We use ours all the time as the TV speakers point down directly against the frame the tv sits in.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #16

HDMI ports are normally one way video audio unless your TV has a port labeled HDMI ARC. ARC stands for Audio Return Channel. This will send audio that originates at your TV to your stereo.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc102bob View Post
Well.... Apparently I don't pay enough attention to Video/Audio standards, probably because I'm getting to be an old fart that doesn't care that much about TV and radio anymore. I re-read some of these posts and realized I didn't make the proper mental connections to the reference of "hdmi arc". I went and looked that up and discovered that apparently it IS fairly common for a TV to have an HDMI circuit that delivers audio out to a sound system.

I do have a picture of the back of my radio and looked at it again and realized the HDMI port is labeled HDMI ARC. I will have to go back and see if the TV in my trailer has an HDMI ARC port as well. I do know that when I was working on the system last summer I couldn't get the TV to play through the radio, so I assumed it was not possible.

I still don't actually care that much, but I happen to have a personality type that once I realize something should work, it drives me nuts if I can't make it work!

Exactly, that’s how I feel as well. Doesn’t make much difference to me whether sound is from tv or stereo, but if it’s supposed to be from stereo, I want it from stereo!!...hahaha
Old 02-19-2020, 04:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
There may be more than one HDMI connection on the tv. Ours has three and there is a specific one to be used with the stereo. Hope you get it figured out. We use ours all the time as the TV speakers point down directly against the frame the tv sits in.

Yea, my tv has the hdmi arc port and my hdmi cable is plugged in to that and I assume it’s plugged in the back of the stereo, but no mode actually routes the sound through the stereo. I’m stumped!
Old 02-19-2020, 04:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
HDMI ports are normally one way video audio unless your TV has a port labeled HDMI ARC. ARC stands for Audio Return Channel. This will send audio that originates at your TV to your stereo.

I’m going home tonight and park myself in the trailer until I get this figured out! My little girl will enjoy playing in the new toy anyway, so double win
Old 02-19-2020, 04:25 PM   #20

My slightly different iRV uses RCA plugs for sound to external speakers. Have you tried the speaker selections. Present rv has only 2, sound bar and outside. After playing with mode and source buttons (the correct hdmi source) it leads me to cable connections or a setting in the menu. I remove the tv for storage and each Spring it pains me to hook it back up.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irv, stereo