Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2021, 05:38 PM   #1

Is this the quality we should expect from Forest River?

Trailer is seriously a little over two months old and when I go up to inspect my slide before we get a storm I come across this absolute mess.

Slide weatherstrip is dry rotted and torn at the top corner, and someone from the factory thought it was a good idea to just zip a screw from the weatherstrip into the side of the trailer exterior with no sealant or waterproofing.

Cmon guys…

https://imgur.com/a/iJm1in7
rpmcnulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmcnulty View Post
Trailer is seriously a little over two months old and when I go up to inspect my slide before we get a storm I come across this absolute mess.

Slide weatherstrip is dry rotted and torn at the top corner, and someone from the factory thought it was a good idea to just zip a screw from the weatherstrip into the side of the trailer exterior with no sealant or waterproofing.

Cmon guys…

It is seriously a little over 2 months old?
You wrote “Cmon guys…” as if you’re writing to the Cedar Creek division or even Forest River. Do you assume they will see this?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:18 PM   #3

On our recent trip to Amish Family RV, I had a torn bulb seal on my main slide that they noticed. Apparently my slides were too tight and this will tear up your bulb seals. They readjusted all of them so that there is some flex left in the seal. Made sense once it was explained to me.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
It is seriously a little over 2 months old?
You wrote “Cmon guys…” as if you’re writing to the Cedar Creek division or even Forest River. Do you assume they will see this?
Who knows, I’ve been in other forums where people from the actual company check these things out.

And if you have similar experiences it could help others.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:36 PM   #5

Seems to be common about that place. Sounds like they do really good work and have attention to detail.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Who knows, I’ve been in other forums where people from the actual company check these things out.

And if you have similar experiences it could help others.
Unfortunately tnere are no FR reps here, from any of the Towables divisions. So very unlikely that anybody from FR will see your post.
It's best to ask for contacts in the Cedar Creek division.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:09 PM   #7
Site Team

I just changed my seals a few months ago and they all had screws in that exact spot.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:

Cmon guys…

Why wasn't this mentioned at the PDI that you should have done at the dealer. The dealer would have fixed this before this was delivered to you.

I know I had a couple of small items that needed to be fixed when we did the PDI on our Cedar Creek.

Just asking?
Old 12-18-2021, 01:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Why wasn't this mentioned at the PDI that you should have done at the dealer. The dealer would have fixed this before this was delivered to you.

I know I had a couple of small items that needed to be fixed when we did the PDI on our Cedar Creek.

Just asking?
At our PDI I did bring some items to their attention. To see this I would have needed to get a ladder and look under my slide topper
Old 12-18-2021, 04:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I just changed my seals a few months ago and they all had screws in that exact spot.
Same here. They keep the bulb in place in the wiper track. The screw goes through the rubber portion of the bulb seal - kind of seals itself, doesn't it?
Old 12-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #11

rpm....I recently had Orvan (Amish Family RV) replace several of my slide seals as they were splitting....he has some new style that is designed not to compress as tight, which should prevent splitting. And yes, his work is fantastic.

I have also seen (not too often) a rep from FR respond to somebody's post.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:39 PM   #12

Quote:
At our PDI I did bring some items to their attention. To see this I would have needed to get a ladder and look under my slide topper
If you have slide toppers you shouldn't have a problem. But if the trailer is only 2 months old, take it back to the dealer and have them address it.
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashes3 View Post

I have also seen (not too often) a rep from FR respond to somebody's post.
Was it from a rep from a Motorhomes division or a Towable division?
We have a number of reps here, from various Motorhome divisions. I've never seen one here from the Cedar Creek division. Have seen numerous members post the names and contact information on various CC reps though.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 09:57 PM   #14

From what I understand from reading posts since the pandemic, most quality has gone to crap; not just FR but all. Profits over quality. And, another post says this site is not monitored. Don’t you think it would go a long way if the mfg knew what people were saying about their “quality” campers?
RookieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:22 PM   #15

If they didn't damage the seal by torqueing the screw too tight what you have is a rubber grommet between the screw head and the wall of your trailer...the same thing we'd think of as good workmanship if the item being attached and the grommet weren't the same thing. You have a lot more places on your rig that will leak before that does.
Old 12-19-2021, 03:15 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieRV View Post
From what I understand from reading posts since the pandemic, most quality has gone to crap; not just FR but all. Profits over quality. And, another post says this site is not monitored. Don’t you think it would go a long way if the mfg knew what people were saying about their “quality” campers?
Yes, we think that… but you’re preaching to the choir. We’re not Forest River. See if you can convince FR to monitor the forum. I tried to get the Service Manager of my selling dealership to monitor the forum to pick up some service hints but no dice.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:10 PM   #17

That’s what you get from Forest River. I bought a 2014 FR3 brand new and made the mistake of my life. You name it, it went wrong, slide motors x3, stair motor, generator, awning, black holding tank, and the leveling jacks. Never again.
Sgtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:42 PM   #18

Worst quality ever

I have had the worst experience with forrest river . 2019 Sierra 5th wheel. 2 weeks old toilet just kept backing up, same problem with screws in the weather strip. Slide leaking water because the roof is warped, that happen 2 and trip out and wasnt even a month old. Residential refrigerator feel completely out of the wall 3rd trip out because never even bolted in in to the back wall. The list goes on and on. Forrest river still wont fix the leak in the roof on the slide out. They tell me that just a RV. AFTER 4 time out with a toilet backing up. The dealer found the tube in the black water tank was to long and almost touching the bottom of the black tank. After forest river accused me of not knowing how to use it. Really after owning 10 RV'S. I have had to repair so many things myself and clean up there poor build job. I will never by another forest river RV again. And I have bought 3 of of the m in the last 9 years.
Cowboyheart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:52 PM   #19

You Are Not Alone!

The short answer is “Yes”! Many people experiencing problems with Forest River products these days. No quality standards or regulations, and a push to put out record volume to capitalize on record interest, means customers are getting screwed! Want our list of problems? We’re at over 30 and counting! Major and minor issues. And worse yet, dealerships aren’t doing a good job at fixing things right, so problems reoccur and continue! Welcome to the club. 😖
AnnieScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #20

Quality

As far as I'm concerned, they have no quality inspection. They claim that the units are "Amish Built Quality." I'm pretty sure that no Amish person would put their name on them.
wrmyers3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, quality