Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2018, 09:21 PM   #1

Jacks up or down

Need some opinions and I knew this is the place for them. Our RV has the Lippert 6 point leveling system. She is all winterized but I was wondering , does everyone leave their back 4 jacks down like the landing gear? Or raise the back 4 ? We live in cold weather and also the snow belt.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:28 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Raise the back 4.
No need for them during storage as the wheels/tires and the landing jacks will adequately support the R/V.

Also if left down and the ground freezes and heaves, it could cause damage.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:48 PM   #3

I have the 6 point on this rig and a previous one. Have always left the rear 4 in the up position during the winter months.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #4

Down and level unless in transit

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #5

Down and level is what I prefer as well. I like taking some of the weight off the tires, especially if stored for extended period over the winter. I even slip something under the tires.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #6

Looks like every position is used.

Suggestion: If you choose to have jacks down during freezing weather, storage or otherwise, be sure to put something under each foot that is impervius to water. Otherwise your feet can freeze to the ground and be difficult to raise should you choose to lift them when the ground is still frozen.

I personally don't put the jacks down during storage. I drive my unit 10-20 miles every 2 weeks to keep everything in prime operating condition. I start the generator, start the frig, start the engine and drive 10-20 miles.

An RV just sitting does more damage than one that is used periodically.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:53 PM   #7

I leave our unit with only the front struts down. My thinking is if I ever want to leave in the dead of winter when it is - 25 F. I don't want to be moving any more hydraulic cylinders than necessary. Less risk of blowing a seal, breaking a line or damaging the pump. If I lived somewhere where it got to just below freezing I would leave all six struts down to keep it level and take some load of the wheels and suspension.
narrowsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'm wondering why all this concern about relieving the weight on the tires and suspension when in storage?

I do not know of one vehicle where the tires/wheels/suspension wasn't engineered and designed to have its qualified load applied at all times.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'm wondering why all this concern about relieving the weight on the tires and suspension when in storage?

I do not know of one vehicle where the tires/wheels/suspension wasn't engineered and designed to have its qualified load applied at all times.

Most vehicles don't sit for months at a time. RV tires do. It is the preservation of the tires I am concerned about.

It was real obvious to me when I had a Coleman tent trailer. After two or 3 months just sitting, the tires would have a flat spots on then, even though I had aired them up to the recommended 65lbs. I could hear the k-thunk for couple of blocks as the tires would start rounding out.

I now get the tires and the jacks off the ground. I cut up some 12x12 rubber blocks using horse stall pad purchased at Tractor Supply, and place them under the jacks and the tires.
No scientific test, it is just makes me feel better thinking I am affecting the storage of the tires in a positive manner.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #10

On my old 5th wheel I only had the front jacks down during storage. The back 4 were electric. On my new rig it has Hyd. jacks all around. They recommend that you spray silicone lube on the exposed part of the jacks if left down for any period of time. That may play into your decision to leave down for some period of time. You don't want the Hyd. rods to rust or get pitted because this will cause the seals to go bad faster.
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #11

Live in Alberta, Canada
Lots of snow and freezing temps.
Our first winter with this RV but with our other RV's we only set out the front jacks.
Parked our 2018 370FL Chaparral with only the front jacks on blocks for winter.
We parked it fairly level side to side. This set up gives us the freedom to level it out if we need the slides out.
If you want to have the RV level through the winter make head to what others have mentioned. Place blocks under the levelers so they do not freeze to the ground.
Otherwise no need to set the 6 point leveling system.
Our RV is sitting on 2x8's to keep the tires off the ground and have wheel covers installed to help prevent tire weather checking. Our RV is at it's lowest point to the front.
Arnie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

I agree with 5picker on this one. Many people put something under the tires to keep them off the ground. I don't know why because the tires are still sitting on a flat surface. Dry rot is not caused by sitting on any type of surface, it's caused by age and exposure to full sunlight. I grew up on a farm and never seen flat spots form on tires that sit under heavy equipment that are not moved for up to 11 months of the year.

"A flat tire is only flat on the bottom."
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie M View Post
Live in Alberta, Canada
Lots of snow and freezing temps.
Our first winter with this RV but with our other RV's we only set out the front jacks.
Parked our 2018 370FL Chaparral with only the front jacks on blocks for winter.
We parked it fairly level side to side. This set up gives us the freedom to level it out if we need the slides out.
If you want to have the RV level through the winter make head to what others have mentioned. Place blocks under the levelers so they do not freeze to the ground.
Otherwise no need to set the 6 point leveling system.
Our RV is sitting on 2x8's to keep the tires off the ground and have wheel covers installed to help prevent tire weather checking. Our RV is at it's lowest point to the front.
In our earlier years of RV storage we just parked it, no problem, but on inspection of the tires in the new season we were seeing concerns of weather checking.
Not storing properly can cost unnecessary repairs.
We now set our RV (tires) on wood planks and install tire covers.
On another note, be concerned of the wheel bearings. Sitting for extended periods without being rotated can be detrimental.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I agree with 5picker on this one. Many people put something under the tires to keep them off the ground. I don't know why because the tires are still sitting on a flat surface. Dry rot is not caused by sitting on any type of surface, it's caused by age and exposure to full sunlight. I grew up on a farm and never seen flat spots form on tires that sit under heavy equipment that are not moved for up to 11 months of the year.

"A flat tire is only flat on the bottom."
Are tires like a battery, never store on cement or ground? I'm not sure about that but when I have stored an RV on ground my tires had a short life.
I too live on a farm. Our equipment blocked up and protected from elements (sun) outlasts the equipment on the ground.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #15

When the camper is home only the front jacks are down, summer or winter. When not camping only the front jacks are down
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie M View Post
Are tires like a battery, never store on cement or ground?
Of course, that hasn't mattered for batteries for years.

As for tires, this is what Goodyear reccomends:
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-storage.aspx
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Of course, that hasn't mattered for batteries for years.

As for tires, this is what Goodyear reccomends:
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-storage.aspx
Thank you for the informative link.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #18
Canadian Member

I store our TT outdoors with only the tires and AC covered. The tires are on wooden 2x8s or concrete patio slabs and inflated to maximum psi. It sits from mid-October until mid-May without being moved. Never have a problem with flat-spotting of the tires and no issues with the bearings which are serviced each Spring. The tires are only replaced due to age (5-6 years), not wear or any problems. I don’t have auto-leveling and I leave my stabilizer jacks up because the mice don’t need me giving them another way to get access to my trailer!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #19

Travler makes a good point. I store my 5er for the winter with all six jacks down, and most of the load on wheels and tires reduced. I also wrap each hydraulic jack leg with fabric that keeps out contaminating dust and grime. Hydraulic systems' biggest enemy is dust and particulate contamination of the working fluid. Keep the exposed ram shafts clean and you will reduce the chance of contamination that will cause deterioration of seals and valve clearances.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #20

We are very familiar with cold and snow hereabouts. Way too familiar unfortunately 😢. I’ve always stored ours with only the front jacks extended (even before I had a fifth with the Level-up system) I see no need for exposure of the other four jacks to the elements if the rig isn’t being used. I always try to spray with silicone and wipe down the exposed parts of the jacks prior to retraction as well. I also put 12” X 12” wood blocks under the front jacks and put 2” X 10” boards under the tires. It’s worked for the four years that we’ve had this rig and eleven years prior with other rigs.
6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000
Flatlander49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks