Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #1

KIB tank monitoring panel for my 2005 Forest River Cedar Creek fifth wheel.

I don't think the monitor panel in my trailer is working correctly. I have filled my fresh water tank but it reads empty. The black water tank reads 2/3rds full but the toilet has only been used a half a dozen times. The gray water tank reads empty but not sure how much is in the tank.

Can anyone help out in which way to go to fix this? I googled the crap out of this but couldn't find anything out on it. The monitor is a KIB if that helps.

Many thanks!
Thechap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #2

Most of them are junk. You will learn your usage (black and grey). I could see where the fresh water would want to work. Have to look for broken wires or not hooked up or bad sensors. The fresh water tank indicator is the only one I care if it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #3

Your first issue might be a broken wire on the sensors for the fresh water tank.

The sensors in the black/gray water tanks gets gunked up and they don't work properly. There is a new type of sensor that is supposed to work better. I have purchased a set but not installed them yet. Horst Miracle Probes (now made by Valterra - not sure if they are available yet) use the same process (detecting the presence of liquids) as the existing probes but utilize a very different design (pictured below) - but they work with the existing meters - just remove the old probes (after draining tanks) and replace with these probes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hort_probes.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	436.1 KB
ID:	80006
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #4

Where are the probes at on the tanks? I would have to remove the hard plastic sheets on the bottom of the trailer to get to the probes.
Thechap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #5

They are located in the side of the tanks (inside the belly) ... this is why I have not installed my probes yet - need to pull the bottom of the belly to get to the tanks.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:56 PM   #6

No big deal. You have to pull the bottom panels. My fresh water didn't read either. The sensor wire had been cut during assembly. An easy fix with a wire crimp. The units are shipped dry for winter. Sad but they don't test this stuff. The dealer even refused to put any liquid in the tanks prior to delivery.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek, fifth wheel, forest river, tank, wheel