Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #1

leveler question

I left my RV on a lake lot for a month with the 6 point levelers down and the unit level. When I returned the driver's side was about an 1" down, I used the "auto level" and when it leveled the RV it raised the unit so the tires on the driver's side were off the ground. I am using a King Pin 3 point stabilizer and I would like to "retract all" and then re-level assuming the unit would be lower. My stabilizer is rated for 5K#. Would this work? Thanks for any replies!
2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
sh1pper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:49 PM   #2

Did you remove the king pin stabilizer before do auto level? You should.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #3

Yes! I'm pretty sure something would get damaged with all the moves auto leveling creates. I don't keep my truck where the RV is or I would just hook-up and retract the legs as I normally would. I want to know if my stabilizer would do the same job.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1pper View Post
Yes! I'm pretty sure something would get damaged with all the moves auto leveling creates. I don't keep my truck where the RV is or I would just hook-up and retract the legs as I normally would. I want to know if my stabilizer would do the same job.
No
Old 08-13-2018, 07:33 PM   #5

I would not trust the King Pin stabilizer at all! You are trying to save a little work by not hooking up your truck not worth the risk in my very humble opinion. I have seen my front end drop a fair amount when it is trying to auto level and than raise the front end up. I think the stabilizer will interfere with this motion and or collapse the stabilizer, causing you more trouble when you have no front leg support since they will be up. Use your truck to be safe and save you any grief.

I too use a king pin stabilizer but only when in storage and I am nose high so, the rain water will run off the roof. The legs are dropped first and the truck is pulled out and than raised up. I will than place the king pin stabilizer under the king pin but I will never retract the legs all of the way.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:09 PM   #6

Whatís the difference between the king pin stabilizer and the 5th wheel hitch? If the king pin stabilizer is rated for 5000 lbs it seems it should be good to hold a RV pin weigh of 3000 lbs, no?

Before you do this, raise the front pin off the stabilizer then raise the 4 rear jacks 100%. Make sure the front is high, move the stabilizer out of the way, and press ďauto levelĒ and see if it levels.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Whatís the difference between the king pin stabilizer and the 5th wheel hitch? If the king pin stabilizer is rated for 5000 lbs it seems it should be good to hold a RV pin weigh of 3000 lbs, no?

Before you do this, raise the front pin off the stabilizer then raise the 4 rear jacks 100%. Make sure the front is high, move the stabilizer out of the way, and press ďauto levelĒ and see if it levels.
I assume you are saying I would raise the 4 rear jacks using the touch pad inside? I was thinking of using the outside "retract all" by using the the stabilizer to hold the King Pin and then raising the front jacks enough to remove the stabilizer and then "auto level" as you stated.

PS My truck is 6 hours away.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
Site Team

You don't auto level with the truck there, so you wouldn't auto level with the king pin stab there either. Just use the 'retract rear' to pull up everything but the landing gear. Then go into manual and retract the landing gear until it's around the original height it would have been, then hit the auto level again.

The only reason you would have for raising the landing gear off the ground is if you needed to put landing pads or boards under them. If that's the case, then either get your truck, or borrow somebody's near by.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #9

Quote:
I assume you are saying I would raise the 4 rear jacks using the touch pad inside? I was thinking of using the outside "retract all" by using the the stabilizer to hold the King Pin and then raising the front jacks enough to remove the stabilizer and then "auto level" as you stated.

PS My truck is 6 hours away.
I donít have a touch pad as my CC is a 2016 and all my controls are outside so I canít tell you how to do it as your controller is different than mine but you should be able to control the rear levelers separate from the landing gear. So retract the rear gear, then raise the landing gear as if it was in your 5th wheel hitch and remove the stand, hit auto level...

I donít use a stand, so how does it mount?
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:24 PM   #10

Simple. Don't use auto level. Use manual mode to retract jacks until tires are on the ground. Leave the landing gear jacks alone. Then level using the indicator on your pad or a carpenter's level.

If unsure how to use manual level, find your system on the lippert site and download the manual.

And no way would I trust any kingpin tripod. If it slips or fails, that will be a big repair bill for something you don't need to do (raise landing gear to relevel).

Auto level frequently results in one sides tires off the ground. Never bothers us. We have camped for weeks like that.

You also never said if you knew why your RV was unlevel. Did the jacks leak down or did the ground settle?
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #11

x2 with NWWildcat. Did you retract the rear jacks completely and raise the front above level before you hit auto level?
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
x2 with NWWildcat. Did you retract the rear jacks completely and raise the front above level before you hit auto level?
I have never used the inside touchpad for the levelers only for the slides. The outside controls don't allow you to raise or lower the back four jacks; only the front jacks unless you "retract all" (which means you would have to have the King pin secured by your truck or stabilizer)
PS I assume my jacks on the drivers side lost that inch or so after a month. I don't know how long they would hold their position without leaking down some.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #13

I haven't seen any leveler systems that don't allow manual control, but I'm sure I haven't seen them all. I would check out the manuals for your system.

As far as leak down, they should not. We have left ours down for months with no movement. Our level up system is six years old.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #14

I bought my King pin stabilizer to have a safety if the jacks had a failure more than to just steady the front movement. I leave my RV for months at a time with the jacks supporting the RV. If the jacks failed then I assume the King pin could hit the concrete pad. If I trust the stabilizer to hold the front in the event of a jack failure, then I was asking if anyone had used their stabilizer instead of a their truck to adjust their jacks. I realize a truck would be the best way, but I just drive my car to the RV and back to my home because it's cheaper and more comfortable than the truck.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #15

Let us know how your experiment with your kingpin tripod and leveling system goes.

Also, if your jacks seal fail, the fiver will just lower to it's lowest position on the front jacks. Nothing will hit anything unless you store stuff under your trailer.

I lower the front of my fiver as far as it will go to wax the front cap. No biggy.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I lower the front of my fiver as far as it will go to wax the front cap. No biggy.
Good to know...now you make me wonder what would happen if I removed the stabilizer then lowered the front jack as far as it would go and then do "retract all"?
Old 08-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Good to know...now you make me wonder what would happen if I removed the stabilizer then lowered the front jack as far as it would go and then do "retract all"?
The possibilities and solutions are endless
Old 08-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #18

to nmwildcat: you have just made my day, if not my week! even with a tall ladder there is a portion of the front cap that i cannot reach to wax it. "lower the front legs as far as they will go to wax it". brilliant!
Old 08-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
to nmwildcat: you have just made my day, if not my week! even with a tall ladder there is a portion of the front cap that i cannot reach to wax it. "lower the front legs as far as they will go to wax it". brilliant!
I would think you would need to raise (or retract) the rear legs first. I have done this also when cleaning my trailer, if I am too lazy to get the 10' step ladder out. I also have a telescoping pole that I use with a mop head to clean and wax the front end of the trailer.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I would think you would need to raise (or retract) the rear legs first. I have done this also when cleaning my trailer, if I am too lazy to get the 10' step ladder out. I also have a telescoping pole that I use with a mop head to clean and wax the front end of the trailer.
Exactly. Slides are in, rear jacks are up.