Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2019, 07:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Also, glad you mentioned jacks, the front rams are twice the size of rear jacks, you realize I have no dog in this fight? I gave an opinion , I would block the tires if left unattended for 5 mos, plus to different respected people say just because you can don't mean you should. I really don't care what people do, but the OP asked for an opinion, that was mine. I guess you can use your shovel opinion, and I have shoveled alot.
You had multiple times in this thread referred to the front jacks supporting hitch weight, which is incorrect. Even "corrected" me for saying that there is more than hitch weight on the front jacks, so I used the shovel illustration. If you think that the concept of leverage is an opinion, then I don't think we can have a discussion on the same level.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:23 AM   #22

Have read this with interest.

One thing that I believe causes problems on this site, is the discussions among folks about weights, measurements, processes, etc........when they don't have the same set-up. It's like "What PSI should I put in my tires?". Well duh. It depends on whether your tires or E or G or H rated, doesn't it? But everyone chimes in with "This is how I do it".......when there is NO comparison to a lot of other set-ups different than theirs.

On this issue, I learned something!!! I never had a clue that my back 4 landing jacks were smaller than front two!! It's slight, but they are.

Second, I read all the time "Level first, then put stabilizers down". Yes, for bumper pulls, that makes sense. But on my 5er, Auto Level definitely uses the 6 hydraulic jacks to push the trailer up, or down, and level it.

Third, the tires are dang sure supporting SOME weight. If they are off the ground, they are not supporting any. Saying it's ok to leave tires in the air is same as saying the tires never support any trailer weight, so don't worry about having them touch the ground. Maybe that's true, but that would make no sense to me. I want my tires to support as much trailer weight as they can.

Fourth, a side issue to this, that is maybe unimportant to most folks. But just something to consider. I have always used X-chocks between the tires on each side. Many say that's of no value, but I believe it helps with trailer shaking when washer is working, or just when walking around. X-Chocks certainly would have no effect if the tires they are connected to are off the ground!!

I would imagine it doesn't matter for a day or so. But we mostly "travel with our house" rather than "Camping this weekend". And I just can't make myself leave tires off the ground for more than a few hours. Possibly irrational, but that's me! LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #23

Back to the OP, who simply asked if having the tires off the ground on one side, supported by the 6 level up jacks should concern him, for up to five months.
It wouldn't bother me, but I work with hydraulics on the farm every day. I've used the RV level up system for 7 years. The hydraulics on these RVs are over kill (read the specs) and I don't worry about using them at all, for any length of time.
If it does bother you for your seasonal site, you have several options. 1)You can block the tires and hit auto level again. 2)Block the tires and use manual level to ensure tires stay on the blocks. 3)You can retract the rear jacks every time you leave and relevel upon your return. 4)You can put the frame on blocks and not even use the jacks.

Do whatever you think is best and leaves you with a good feeling. There are several options and none is more right or wrong than the other. I can ensure you, that after using this system for several years, you will most likely stop babying it and just use it
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFarmer View Post
You had multiple times in this thread referred to the front jacks supporting hitch weight, which is incorrect. Even "corrected" me for saying that there is more than hitch weight on the front jacks, so I used the shovel illustration. If you think that the concept of leverage is an opinion, then I don't think we can have a discussion on the same level.
Don't have the slightest idea what your talking about, the best way on real time and figures to me is not use shovels and go to a scale, just put your front landing jacks on the scale and get a reading. Then just put your axles on a scale and get a reading, then tell me which is more, don't need a shovel. I'll buy you a case of beer if there the same or if not you buy me a case, maybe my terms are wrong but so what. People know what I mean. No body can tell me they will show the same weight. Like said and I said because you can doesn't mean you should, this is just my opinion not yours or anybody else's, I guess this what makes our big wonderful world go around and around just like this thread...have a great safe day and camping season..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #25

Just in case you all haven't noticed. The OP has not responded since the initial post.
So this might be a good time to end the - Your wrong and I'm right debate and allow this thread to die.
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #26
Canadian Member

I have no idea whether or not the hydraulics in an LCI hydraulic auto-leveling system would be good for 5 months. I suggest that the OP contact LCI rather than taking the opinion of people on the internet. If something goes wrong and you want to blame Lippert, you'd better get their advice in writing before doing it. If the factory won't support (pun intended) that usage, then I wouldn't do it.

With regard to loading on the 6 jacks, it seems to me that people here may not understand point loading and cantilevers. The loading on the frame will be like a beam with cantilevers on both ends and support(s) between the ends (the center jack and axles/tires as applicable). The actual loads on each jack will obviously depend on the weight distribution on top of the beams. The kitchen area with appliances will be heavier than the livingroom and bedroom, and you need to account for the weight of the slideouts and any liquid in the tanks. A rear kitchen floor plan will have more load on the rear cantilever.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom39 View Post
Just in case you all haven't noticed. The OP has not responded since the initial post.
So this might be a good time to end the - Your wrong and I'm right debate and allow this thread to die.
Thanks your right, but other people start to think about there own situation, most threads are answered in the F rist 5 post, but people who are interested just keep posting. You don't need to start a post to learn something. But thank you OP you have made a good conversation....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #28
Just as confused as you

For those saying they use hydraulics on the farm and know everything about them. My question is how many farm workers are injured or killed by failing hydraulics each year? Your answer may be the farm machines have safety braces. My next question is "Why were the braces not utilized."
Whether working on the farm while growing up or with cranes, endloaders and forklifts at the scrapyard, I always lowered the hydraulics to the ground when not in the machine. In fact it is in the operators manual.

I'm just pointing out your opinions about leaving RV's suspended on the hydraulic system is not without flaws when it comes to the hydraulic system.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
For those saying they use hydraulics on the farm and know everything about them. My question is how many farm workers are injured or killed by failing hydraulics each year? Your answer may be the farm machines have safety braces. My next question is "Why were the braces not utilized."
Whether working on the farm while growing up or with cranes, endloaders and forklifts at the scrapyard, I always lowered the hydraulics to the ground when not in the machine. In fact it is in the operators manual.

I'm just pointing out your opinions about leaving RV's suspended on the hydraulic system is not without flaws when it comes to the hydraulic system.
Yep, and I could get killed by a meteorite any minute.
And you sure made a lot of assumptions from one comment
The comment was just to say I was comfortable using hydraulics. And if you did bust a hose or valve in the RV, what's the worst that could happen? Hmm, your tires would contact the ground.
Geesh, get a grip.
If you aren't comfortable using the hydraulics to level your RV for extended times, don't do it. Easy.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, trailer