Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2022, 10:44 AM   #1

Light switch repair for dinette and recliners

2020 Champagne 38el. The light rocker switches for both the overhead lights for dinette and the recliners quit working after a little flickering. My husband wants to repair it himself. He checked wires inside switch which look ok. Wall plugs underneath switches still work. Do we need to unplug the electricity? Where do the wires go after going up the wall. Could it be a fuse?
Colo explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:53 AM   #2

Looking at wires really only tells you they are intact and not if they are carrying any voltage. The wall plugs are normally 110V and lights are 12V two different circuits. You should use a multimeter and verify if there is power and what the voltage is.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:56 AM   #3

All your lights will be 12V and may have a seperate fuse for each bank of lights. Check the fuses in your fuse panel. It won't be one of the circuit breaker's. You will probably have to pull the fuse and check it. It will be one of the multi-colored fuses on the right.

Good luck and be safe -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220119_110558.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	463.0 KB
ID:	267977  

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:01 AM   #4

When I replaced one of my electrical switches, I killed all of the electrical power to the trailer. I.E., un-plugged the 50AMP power cord from the pedestal and removed the 12V positive cable from the battery. I also checked that the wall circuit with a multimeter just to be sure, you can never be too careful.

I than replaced the light switch that had failed.

Now when trouble shooting an electrical system, this can be done with the power on. I would remove the wall plate and check to see if power is at the circuit. A multimeter or several different circuit testers that are available for either 12V or 120V systems can be purchased and used. The circuit tester will indicate that there is power to the receptacle/switch or not. If there is no power to the switch/receptacle than look at a fuse in the fuse panel or circuit breaker to see if the fuse has failed or the circuit breaker has trip.

Replace the failed fuse or reset the circuit breaker. If the fuse immediately fails again or the circuit breaker trips immediately. Then a short or overload condition is present and needs to be fixed.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:13 PM   #5

red light will be by fuse "12" volt if blown fuse. "most panels. take light out of ceiling ,check wire connections , volt meter ob 12v ,push a straight pin in each wire test if 12v. pin hole wont hurt anything ,no power cord plugged in , battery charged and hooked up. flip on switch check voltage ,if 0 click switch on / off several times and observe meter.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:38 PM   #6

Is dinette in a slide? My dinette slide chaffed the wires going to the lights. Put slide out, replace fuse. All ok until it came back in. Next trip same thing. I finally bit the bullet and went into the cover on bottom of camper. Frayed wires where wires came out of a square tube on slide. Repaired and added length to wires and all was well for two years. Last trip same thing. When it warms up I’ll check it again.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo explorer View Post
2020 Champagne 38el. The light rocker switches for both the overhead lights for dinette and the recliners quit working after a little flickering. My husband wants to repair it himself. He checked wires inside switch which look ok. Wall plugs underneath switches still work. Do we need to unplug the electricity? Where do the wires go after going up the wall. Could it be a fuse?
Fuses are a good place to start.

Does it have the Firefly system controller and are those switches dimmable? That controller allows you to turn on and off all of the lights. Do they work from that switch?

The reason why I'm asking is because those switches can use a battery which connects wirelessly to the controller which turns the lights on. IF the battery is dead then it won't turn the lights on.
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBreeze View Post
Fuses are a good place to start.

Does it have the Firefly system controller and are those switches dimmable? That controller allows you to turn on and off all of the lights. Do they work from that switch?

The reason why I'm asking is because those switches can use a battery which connects wirelessly to the controller which turns the lights on. IF the battery is dead then it won't turn the lights on.

X2 on Firefly dimmable switches on our 2021 38EL. Battery(s) in switch may need replacing.
Willowmoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinette, light, repair, switch