Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #1

Thumbs up Lippert 6 point Hyd...FYI

My Silver Creek Silverback '17 (early) has the 6 pt hyd system. Just got word that my front 2 legs are OBSOLETE and Lippert is replacing them at not cost to me. The right front (as looking at the nose from the outside front has been leaking since I bought it.

Folks at Lippert were open and said upon receiving the part number its OBE and they would replace the 2 parts in question (FRONT cyl) at their expense and install...GOOD ON LIPPERT
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #2

UPDATE

UPDATE

Well the new replacements came in and were installed. NOTE these are the new version of the front hyd legs and we got ourselves a PROBLEM!!!

These legs are SHORTER than the old ones and at MAX lift the nose of the 5th wheel does not come up high enough by about 2 in to get over the top of the 5th wheel hitch assembly.

The 5th wheel nose box is already in the top hole and I have only 5 in of clearance between the nose and the bedrails.

My RV repair is working with Lippert on this and our hopes are that the new cyl they sent are not for the front of the 5th wheel, but mid or rear!
Old 11-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Oops. Hope they get you fixed up quickly.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 - 2020: 966 ~ Nights Camping 2021: 4
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
Oops. Hope they get you fixed up quickly.
ME TOO, got to roll on the 28th for business and if I cannot unhook I am ina REAL bind, because I use the truck for business on site.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #5

Stack some wooden blocks or legos under the feet to make up the difference till you get the correct set of legs. Don't extend the legs so far that you are "out of stroke" or you will have more problems.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #6

UPDATE II

Just got word from my RV fixit that Lippert shipped rear hyd cyls instead of front units, so that is the problem, not long enough since they were not for the front...dodged a bullet
Old 11-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #7

I wonder was is different in the Jacks. If you find out could you let us know.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
I wonder was is different in the Jacks. If you find out could you let us know.
My bet is it the length of the legs. There are 6 jacks, rear, middle front. The front has to lift the nose up high enough to put the pin box on top of the 5th wheel assembly, so the legs have to be longer to accomplish this.

My bet (as a retired engineer) is that all the jacks have a the same lifting capability, but fronts only need to go higher.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #9

It is not just the length. The front ones are designed to handle more weight. Also if you look at them, the legs are wider in diameter. That is how mine are on 2015 Silverback. The front ones take a lot more abuse since they have to lift the entire rig when hitching. I may be remembering it wrong, but I think the front ones are designed for 13K lbs and the rear ones are 8K lbs. duty.
So if you received the rear legs and not the front ones, then I would pursue the resolution until you get a satisfactory answer.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC75 View Post
It is not just the length. The front ones are designed to handle more weight. Also if you look at them, the legs are wider in diameter. That is how mine are on 2015 Silverback.
So if you received the rear legs and not the front ones, then I would pursue the resolution until you get a satisfactory answer.
According to my repair guy they are shipping the correct legs this week, they shipped the wrong ones, but not sure what wrong ones are/were other than they did not lift high enough to mouth my attachment point.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #11

Glad you are getting fixed up. My thoughts are that your repair guy should of noticed the difference in diameter and length of the unit before installing them. There is a big difference between front and rears.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Glad you are getting fixed up. My thoughts are that your repair guy should of noticed the difference in diameter and length of the unit before installing them. There is a big difference between front and rears.
To be honest I have looked at all mine many times over the past year and never noticed that my front legs were of larger diameter than the centers or the rears. I am going to look again, I may have just not noticed, and if wrong will post so, but my eyes generally catch things like that and so my wife, we are both engineers (retired). I can generally look at bolt head and tell what size it is.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
To be honest I have looked at all mine many times over the past year and never noticed that my front legs were of larger diameter than the centers or the rears. I am going to look again, I may have just not noticed, and if wrong will post so, but my eyes generally catch things like that and so my wife, we are both engineers (retired). I can generally look at bolt head and tell what size it is.
On my 6 point level up the front jack housing is 27" long (just the casing), and the ram is 2" diameter. The four rears are 20" long with a 1.5" diameter ram. The circumference of the front jack housing is also approx. 12" vs 10" rear. I replaced a leaking rear jack and double checked sizes when ordering and before installing.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #14

Quote:
On my 6 point level up the front jack housing is 27" long (just the casing), and the ram is 2" diameter. The four rears are 20" long with a 1.5" diameter ram. The circumference of the front jack housing is also approx. 12" vs 10" rear. I replaced a leaking rear jack and double checked sizes when ordering and before installing.
Thanks for the data points, gonna see if I am same same on my CC 29 when I get it back.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
Thanks for the data points, gonna see if I am same same on my CC 29 when I get it back.
No problem. I just hope the repair guy doesn't try to charge you for two installs (unless warranty is covering labor), as he should of easily seen something wasn't right before he even started
Old 11-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #16

Quote:
No problem. I just hope the repair guy doesn't try to charge you for two installs (unless warranty is covering labor), as he should of easily seen something wasn't right before he even started
No, Lippert is picking up the tab...or so they told me and him.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #17

Just a note now would be a good time to add a quart of Cat 1U-9891 anti stiction fluid. If you haven't noticed popping from your jacks it's just a matter of time.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:16 AM   #18

I have a 2015CC Silverback with the six point.......does this "obsolete" refer to prior year jacks? Should see if mine need to be replaced?

Thanks.
portland2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by portland2010 View Post
I have a 2015CC Silverback with the six point.......does this "obsolete" refer to prior year jacks? Should see if mine need to be replaced?

Thanks.
Wouldn't hurt to call Lippert and ask, but I'm of the mind that if it ain't broke, don't fix it
Old 11-23-2017, 08:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by portland2010 View Post

Thanks.
I would contact Lippert on that.

UPDATE:

Well things have not gone as smooth as I would have hoped or SHOULD:

The "FRONT" Jacks are NOT Front jacks...WTH???

There are 3 sets of jacks which to me meant: Rear, Middle, Front! Ya think? Bonk, wrong answer and you do not get to spin the cash wheel or pick a door.

The 3 sets of Jack ARE: Rear, Front and LANDING. So the jacks they sent me were in fact the correct ones for he FRONT, but, BUT it was my LANDING jack that was leaking NOT my FRONT.

So my RV FixIt guy who was dealing direct with Lippert was sent the WRONG Jacks, they were FRONT jacks and did not extend far enough to raise the nose of the 5th (he LIKE me thought Front was FRONT.

Ok, now Lippert Atlanta Ga is where you send the bad Jacks and they have to examine them and make some kind of determination for approval in order to tell the California office, bad jack, send new. Sadly this does not happen very fast, think WEEKS, as of today this seemingly simple problem is still a problem that is unresolved.

My post # 1 was on 3 Oct, today is 23 Nov and I did not post the day it occurred, in fact we were on the road and the problem with the leak happened a full week earlier and I contacted Lippert in late Sept.

In reality, I am a full 2 mos into a simple warranty repair which is nothing but a quick swap out.

I give Lippert a + for supporting the product, but a - in timeliness. This should have been a 1 week fix. Instead its turned into a 2 mo ordeal that is still not resolved.

Part of the problem is that Lippert needed the SERIAL number on my broken jack...EXCEPT that when my RV guy removed it, there was NO serial number, which is why everything has been delayed because Lippert does not know what jack it is????

I posted this in another thread some time ago and I will restate it here: Yea the push a button and level out is neato and cool, but I can level out my old system in about 10 min and have no rocking or spring-boarding. The old way is based upon an 8 point support, 2 electric jacks up front, 4 tires, 2 stabilization jacks in the rear. Its easy, quick, reliable and time tested...and it works!

Stay tuned, more to follow.