Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #1

Lippert Flex Air - Adjusting air volume

Our 37MBH has been riding nose high for awhile so today I made changes to the Reese hitch lowering as much as I could. The truck sits perfectly level and I have over 8 inches of bed clearance to the RV but the RV is still nose high. I checked and the Flex Air is installed at the highest option so it can no longer be adjusted.

That leaves me with making air adjustments. Accordingly to Lippert, you fill the air bag to the point where the tip of the arrow is showing on the oil shock. I would like to lower the air volume down to make the RV level but to do this, I can only fill the air bag to about half of that magical arrow which is about 70psi.

Are there issues with running this way? At level I have a nice 8 inches of room between the truck bed and the RV and would love to run this way unless there is going to be an issue with the Flex Air.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:13 PM   #2

I’m watching. I have the opposite issue.
Xflyhighx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:02 AM   #3

Called and spoke with Lippert ----- what GREAT support they have.

Tech stated that the line on the oil shock is a reference point and not an absolute. Provided you have between 40 and 120 PSI in the air bags you're good.

So making everything level for me, I'm at 68.5 PSI and I have 8 inches of space between the top of the truck bed and the bottom of the 5er.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #4

Thanks,that should work for me. Happy travels
Xflyhighx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
Called and spoke with Lippert ----- what GREAT support they have.

Tech stated that the line on the oil shock is a reference point and not an absolute. Provided you have between 40 and 120 PSI in the air bags you're good.

So making everything level for me, I'm at 68.5 PSI and I have 8 inches of space between the top of the truck bed and the bottom of the 5er.
Thanks for this info. My 5ver sits pretty level and I measured 13’4” clearance hooked to my truck. I want to use the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel and max height allowed is 13’6”. I would probably drop the air pressure to allow me more leeway. I read they now measure vehicles before allowing them to pass thru and would hate to find out I was off in my measurement by a couple of inches...lol.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:25 PM   #6

Curious, can you go through the tunnel with propane
BudC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudC View Post
yes - we had to stop prior to entering so the guard could inspect it was turned off on the 5er.

although, i can say last august no one measured my rig before we entered....maybe its new? maybe its electronic? not sure - but i did not get measured.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudC View Post
Yes, you will need to turn it off before entering. There are locations before entering to do that.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo20 View Post
yes - we had to stop prior to entering so the guard could inspect it was turn off on the 5er.

although, i can say last august o one measured my rig before we entered....maybe its new? maybe its electronic? not sure - but i did not get measured.
We went thru several years ago and they checked propane but did not measure since we were pulling a bumper pull.

I just researched the tunnel and that is what I read that they have electronic measuring devices or something. Not really sure how they do it but I certainly would not want to have to turn around once there. I will just ensure I am under 13’6”...lol...