Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #1

Lippert Level Up Systen

Just yesterday when we moved to another campground our levelers kept tripping the circuit. It must have done it at least 5 times when trying to auto level.
Jokerbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #2

I don’t know if this is your problem but I encountered the same thing and worked out a solution. Our automatic leveler first lowers the front of the rv a lot. The front of the parking space was so much higher than the rear that the auto leveler could not lower it enough to initiate the auto leveling. When the front got as low as it could go, the hydraulics kept trying to go lower until a breaker tripped. I had to reset the breaker then level the 5er manually. I’ve only had to do this once. All the other sites I’ve parked on have been level enough for the auto level system worked just fine.
Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady View Post
I don’t know if this is your problem but I encountered the same thing and worked out a solution. Our automatic leveler first lowers the front of the rv a lot. The front of the parking space was so much higher than the rear that the auto leveler could not lower it enough to initiate the auto leveling. When the front got as low as it could go, the hydraulics kept trying to go lower until a breaker tripped. I had to reset the breaker then level the 5er manually. I’ve only had to do this once. All the other sites I’ve parked on have been level enough for the auto level system worked just fine.

I ended up leveling it in manual mode but even then it kept tripping. I’ve been online trying to research but so far no luck.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #4

Was it really tripping a 12v circuit breaker/resettable fuse, or was the control panel just turning off after reaching a pressure limit?

If it was on the 12v side, check your batteries for full charge.

If it was the control system, was it cold? Mine will reset several times when doing anything when it is cold and the hydraulic fluid is thick. I'm just too lazy to change the fluid.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
If it was the control system, was it cold? Mine will reset several times when doing anything when it is cold and the hydraulic fluid is thick. I'm just too lazy to change the fluid.
So I haven't had this occur yet but curious how cold it gets before the fluid get too thick to flow easily? Why do you say change the fluid, I'm guessing you're saying that it will help but how? Auto level is new to me as of last August so I have very little experience using it but already can appreciate the benefits. Just a little concerned about the tripping occurring because of the fluid being too thick because of the cold.
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvn2tvl View Post
So I haven't had this occur yet but curious how cold it gets before the fluid get too thick to flow easily?

Just got my camper in the last 2 days- it has a sticker that says at or below 30’degrees and it may not perform as well.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #7

I notice it more on mine whenever it is below 40. It used to concern me, but after six years I just try it again. It always works, just might take several tries to get the jacks all the way up/down.

You can use hydraulic fluid made for cold weather to avoid this, but it still gets 100+ here so I haven't bothered.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #8

I had this same problem on a Forest river Georgetown motorhome with the Lippert Hydraulic leveling system. I solved the problem by reading the manual. Step one was have to have the engine on during all leveling operations. I did that and never had a problem again. This create a good strong power source for the system.
You do not say what type camper that you have but If it is a motorhome this solved my problem. If you have a fifth wheel with a generator maybe? Maybe make sure that your power source (battery?) is good.
So, I recommend to check the operators manual and follow it before trying anything else.
Mule
Muletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #9

I reread the OP post and just realized that there isn't anything indicating electric or hydraulic leveling system. I automatically assumed since its under Lippert Auto Level it is hydraulic but maybe not. (??)
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Was it really tripping a 12v circuit breaker/resettable fuse, or was the control panel just turning off after reaching a pressure limit?

If it was on the 12v side, check your batteries for full charge.

Tripping the 12volt circuit but we may have found the problem. The red wire going to the battery isn’t all the way connected. Waiting for my husband to check it. I hope that’s the problem .
Old 03-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvn2tvl View Post
I reread the OP post and just realized that there isn't anything indicating electric or hydraulic leveling system. I automatically assumed hydraulic but maybe not.

Hydraulic
Old 03-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerbgood View Post
Tripping the 12volt circuit but we may have found the problem. The red wire going to the battery isn’t all the way connected. Waiting for my husband to check it. I hope that’s the problem .
Sounds like a good possibility. Let us know how it turns out,. Good luck!
Old 03-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Sounds like a good possibility. Let us know how it turns out,. Good luck!

Nope the wasn’t the issue. Don’t know where to go from here.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #14

Have a multimeter to check battery level and pump draw?
Old 03-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Have a multimeter to check battery level and pump draw?

Battery level is right up there.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #16

Mine will do that if it is below 40 degrees outside. I remember reading that the pump draws around 70 amps normally and up to 93 amps when it gets cold. You may only have a 50 or 80 amp self resetting main breaker.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #17

Last summer we had the same problem. Nose of the RV higher than rear. In auto level mode the nose went as low as it could go to start the level process an blew the breakers.

Solution, drive RV up on blocks so RV is reasonably level to start. Watch you don't over stroke the rear levelers or lift the tires off the ground.
btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #18
Retired Marine

Did you check the fluid level? Mine tripped awhile back, sent me into panic mode only to realize the fluid level was at the minimum point.
FMcCue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMcCue View Post
Did you check the fluid level? Mine tripped awhile back, sent me into panic mode only to realize the fluid level was at the minimum point.

Well it looks pretty full when the legs are up but that’s a good question. Not sure how much should be in there.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #20
Retired Marine

When the legs are down unscrew the cap from the bottle, it has a dip stick on it, make sure it is above the bottom notch.
FMcCue is offline   Reply With Quote