Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #1

Looking for advice and experience on converters

I have a 2017 Hathaway 36CKTS with the deck mount WFCO 9855 converter. After 3-4 days camping while plugged in, the battery voltage is dropping below 12.6 volts, the stereo cuts on and off and the lights start to dim. I have tested its output and mine only seems to charge in the 2 lowest settings and does not charge on the highest (bulk) charge range. It seems to not produce enough power to run the trailer and keep the batteries charged. Has anyone upgraded to a more powerful converter, and if so what brand and model did you get?

From my research I know that the 6 gauge wiring in the CC is capable of handling a 75 amp converter. I have been considering a Progressive Dynamics PD9270V Inteli-Power 9200 Series Converter/Charger. On Amazon they have a package with the PD9270v and the remote pendant for $230.

What do y'all think?
Previously:
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2016 Forest River Clipper 17FQ
David17fq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #2

I had a similar situation with my WFCO 9875. I contacted tech support at WFCO and they were very helpful. But, the conclusion was that that the 3rd stage had failed so I bought a replacement from Amazon. Easy swap.

(https://wfcoelectronics.com/product-...f-9800-series/)

I'm attaching a copy of the trouble shooting guide.

Good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trouble Shooting Flow Chart.pdf (826.1 KB, 110 views)
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
Always Learning

Progressive Dynamics makes good stuff. They're what a lot of people upgrade to.

You might want to compare prices at:
BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics
Old 12-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

You might want to compare prices at:
BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics

Randy at Best is a great source, he's helped me twice, once with this same issue, upgraded and it was awesome, really charged the batteries fast. Not sure if I'm doing the same with the new one or adding solar or both.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #5

Not that impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I replaced a WFCO 9855 with a Progressive Dynamics 4655. I wasn't that impressed. Here's what bothered me.
  1. We make a big deal about the wire gauge between converter and battery, to get bulk charge current for the full time, by minimizing voltage drop. We look for a low-number gauge (heavy wire). The WFCO had 6 or 8 AWG between the converter and the distribution board, where the batteries are fed from. The PD used 14 AWG for this. I was stunned.
  2. Had to change the distribution board from the WFCO board to one that came with the PD because PD added a button on the distribution that needed a separate 4-wire cable to the converter. This button forces the controller into bulk mode for a period. The PD converter is sold as a direct replacement for the WFCO, but the distribution board did not want to fit into the (brittle) WFCO mounting clips. The clips broke off and the board is currently floating in place. Furthermore, installing the distribution board, transferring all the circuits was a big pain. A few were cut too short at the factory and had to be connected while the board was practically mounted. I was laying on my stomach todo this.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #6

If you have toyed with the idea of getting an inverter at some point, then consider a inverter/charger to replace the converter.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I replaced a WFCO 9855 with a Progressive Dynamics 4655. I wasn't that impressed. Here's what bothered me.
  1. We make a big deal about the ...wire gauge...
  2. Had to change the distribution board from the WFCO board to one that came with the PD
Larry
Everybody loves the PD converter so that is an option, as is the replacement of the current brand after talking to their tech rep to see if anything can be done.

My two bits worth is that YES LARGER WIRE GAUGE helps avoid voltage loss but Absorption and Float Charge rates are probably not horribly impacted by wire gauge whether 14, 12, 10 or larger. Of course larger is better, but not sure worth the cost to Rewire.

Along with all other diagnostics, the biggest culprit when weird voltage issues arise is often a ground somewhere. Sometimes something grounded out as in shorted, BUT often just a poor or intermittent GROUND. I always start at the battery and remove the ground from the frame and then clean and reattach. Last year one of my camping Friends had Ghost problems in a brand new $120,000 Jayco coach. Batteries seemed not to take or hold charge, so they replaced his batteries-- twice with the second being a BIG BIG BATTERY UPGRADE, at his expense. Then they told him (him who had run 10 years in a 30 foot travel trailer with only two gr 24 batteries ---AND NO PROBLEMS) that he wasn't managing power correctly.

Well an independent shop found that at all three major grounding points, battery to frame, generator to frame and Converter to frame, the grounds were filthy lugs screwed to painted surfaces with rusty self tapping screws and all making intermittent ground connection. Oddly battery to generator starter was wired direct and working fine. They Cleaned, reconnected all grounds and ran some mid gauge grounding wire between some of the system grounds, independently, and NO MORE PROBLEMS.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #8

On my old 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback I had to replace the WFCO 55amp Converter....I purchased the PD9260 with Pendant....I absolutely loved it. The charge wizard is really helpful. I placed it in the window of the distribution panel so that I could see it blinking.....I always knew what stage the converter was operating in.

I already know that I will be buying another Progressive Dynamics converter for my 2019 Cedar Creek.....I may not even wait for the OEM WFCO to fail....although with this trailer, with a press of a button, I can check my battery's voltage via system LCD.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter