Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I question any insurance companies logic, A sixteen year old girl on her Mothers policy ran a stop sign & my son hit her ( no injuries ) Her company back cancelled her mother so she became an uninsured motorist (She only had the policy a few months and a previous accident). We found out the insurance company was on nobody's side but their own. Meaning our policy had to pick up the tab........... Found out this is perfectly legal in Virginia.

My was ran off the road by another driver a few weeks back about two hours from home. She hit a curb and ruined two wheels and both tires. We filed it under the insurance and it turned out to be a dumb idea. They filed it as a collision on her part and now our preminuin is going up.

Back to the thread. For the OP, keep in mind that ST stamped weight rating is their absolute max rating. There is no cushion. With LT's there is a cushion on the stamped rating, that is by no means their absolute rating. Also, LT tires are built with a much better standard due to them being a passenger tire. Such as to having stronger thicker side walls.

Tire shops that do not mount LT on to a trailer is due to liability reasons, not because of safety. IF the fine prints says "X" then that is what they do.

Me personally, I will never run ST on anything more than a Utility trailer.
Mattpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:06 PM   #22

No reason not to run LT's over ST's except that you can't find LT's that work.

High end 5th wheels like DRV , Heartland Landmark 365 or Lifestyle both offer LT tires as options. If LT tires weren't compatible with trailers then why do they offer them?
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I believe LT tires in the size the person has is not capable of the load of the ST of same size. DRV, Heartland etc are 18 inch wheels so the load capably is greater so they will work!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I believe LT tires in the size the person has is not capable of the load of the ST of same size. DRV, Heartland etc are 18 inch wheels so the load capably is greater so they will work!
18" on Heartlands? They recently added 17.5's as a option. But the landmark trailers come with 16" G614 or the 17.5's.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:35 AM   #25

Found this in my search.

LT vs. ST Tires:

I mentioned earlier that lots of trailer owners made the decision to switch from ST tires to LT tires for use on their travel trailer or 5th wheel trailer. Two popular and well built LT tires that come up in discussions as replacement tires for ST tires are Goodyear G614 235/85R16 and Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16E tires. If you make the decision to switch to LT tires I caution you to make absolutely sure the tire you choose meets the application criteria required for use on your travel trailer or 5th wheel trailer.

Light Truck tires are not always the same size, and do not always have the same load carrying capacity as ST tires. Depending on your trailer’s axle weight rating the tire load capacity might be 3420# @ 80 psi for example. The Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16E tire load capacity is 3,042# @ 80 psi. If you switch to LT tires for trailer applications the tire inflation pressure and/or the size of the tires would need to be capable of matching the load capacities of the trailer. If the size of the tire is increased to compensate for load capacities there needs to be sufficient clearance for the larger tires. Cost can be prohibitive too when you not only consider purchasing new tires but larger wheels for the tires to go on.

There are other considerations as well. One is that ST tires are designed for a limited amount of rolling resistance, whereas LT tire construction must address the tire’s traction attributes which can increase the rolling resistance. Tires have other ratings too, like Mud & Snow, Summer Tire, All Season etc. For example, Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16E tires are rated as highway summer tires, meaning they won’t perform as well in colder winter climates.

It is my general consensus that brand name ST tires matched for the application and properly inflated, maintained and not overloaded are the right tire for the job. I personally only use Michelin tires on my automobiles and motorhome, but the tires are designed for the application. My point is if you are thinking about making the switch from ST to LT tires for use on your trailer don’t get caught up in marketing propaganda; look at the engineering and tire application facts before spending your money on the wrong tire for the job.

Happy RV Learning,

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:37 AM   #26

I have been refused by the tire dealer to put on LT and not ST. That was by the largest tire dealer in NC. They said ST or nothing, but I also was replacing ST's. I think I also read on this forum that the State of Florida will not install LT's on a trailer.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:55 AM   #27

I still think it's what rim you have on camper, if it's st rims then st tires is all that can be put on the rims. My C/C that I just brought are Goodyear G614LT. On the tire it says 3750lb at 110psi on 7000lb axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:03 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I still think it's what rim you have on camper, if it's st rims then st tires is all that can be put on the rims. My C/C that I just brought are Goodyear G614LT. On the tire it says 3750lb at 110psi on 7000lb axles.

You are probably right but your sticker shows what the design and testing done for that unit. I know that when ever I buy tires for my car or truck they don't look at what I have on. The first thing they do is look at the door sticker for size. Then tell me my choices.....

Old 02-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I have been refused by the tire dealer to put on LT and not ST. That was by the largest tire dealer in NC. They said ST or nothing, but I also was replacing ST's. I think I also read on this forum that the State of Florida will not install LT's on a trailer.
Ultimately it is because of the name plate and the possible liabilty issues

Quote:

Yes and No. Typically a major tire retailer can only provide you with what is on the name plate (Speaking in terms of ST/Trailers). As there is no ill effect from putting a LT on a ST stamped rim. You just can not use a ST Stamped Rim on a passenger vehicle. But due to all of the sue happy people, a major tire retailer probably will not mount a LT on a ST stamped rim.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #30

Quote:
You are probably right but your sticker shows what the design and testing done for that unit. I know that when ever I buy tires for my car or truck they don't look at what I have on. The first thing they do is look at the door sticker for size. Then tell me my choices.....

The sticker on the camper told about the tires and it was also on the tires. I was surprised to read what else was on the sticker, how much weight the camper could carry. I was thinking around 2700lb but I guess with tires and 7000lb axles that went up to 3975lb, that was alright. Now granted I will never put that much weight in camper but sure is nice to know I will not overload camper.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #31

Quote:

That's BS, DRV, etc come stock with LT's. How would someone get them replaced? More internet myth.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
That's BS, DRV, etc come stock with LT's. How would someone get them replaced? More internet myth.
Why would I BS as you stated? I have no dog in this fight, my unit came with ST and that is what they would only put on. Now if my plate stated that it came with LT tires they might have sold them to me. I didn't buy my tires off the internet. I bought my tires from Blacks tire in Lumberton NC. (the largest tire dealer in NC) Your more them welcome to call them before you are saying I'm BS anybody. Why would I want to BS someone?

Old 02-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Why would I BS as you stated? I have no dog in this fight, my unit came with ST and that is what they would only put on. Now if my plate stated that it came with LT tires they might have sold them to me. I didn't buy my tires off the internet. I bought my tires from Blacks tire in Lumberton NC. (the largest tire dealer in NC) Your more them welcome to call them before you are saying I'm BS anybody. Why would I want to BS someone?
I have brought from Blacks tire but I beat there price but I bet they would have sold you the LT tires if you had the LT tires on what you were going to replace. My tire guy said he would not put LT tires on a ST rim, I could always buy them from him and the let a jack leg install them.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #34

I am happy with the tires that came on the camper and I have Goodyear tires on the Silverado 3500. LT265/70R18, DuPont Kevlar.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #35

Quote:
I have brought from Blacks tire but I beat there price but I bet they would have sold you the LT tires if you had the LT tires on what you were going to replace. My tire guy said he would not put LT tires on a ST rim, I could always buy them from him and the let a jack leg install them.

I'm sure they would have sold me LT if that is what came with my trailer, but mine came with ST. The tire dealer would have to assume a certain responsibility if they did not install the same. They did recommend that I move up to D rated from C which I did. They also insisted that I have them balanced which the factory where not. I'm very happy with my choice, I'm not in the business to where I would doubt what they did. I have had Good Year Marathons on all the TT I have owned.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #36

St rims and LT rims don't exist. They are all the same. The only difference in rims is that some are designed for a maximum pressure of 80 psi and some are a little heavier and can hold a tire with 110# of pressure. There are no 18" trailer rims but there are 17.5" rims and guess what they mount LT tires on them. The popular Goodyear G614 that is standard on many trailers is also a LT branded tire. I've had 2 sets of LT tires on my trailer. Both installed at Discount Tire without any question. There will NEVER be one of those cheap light weight ST tires on anything I own.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
No BS or myth here either my tire dealer will not put LT tires on trailer rims for what ever the reason. I have asked. But my rims do say trailer use only stamped on the outside. This one is an 8 lug bolt pattern.

I own 5 trailers & have never had an ST tire blow out to date in 30 plus years of towing..

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #38

Well all I know is my new Cedar Creek 32RL came with the Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16G and I am happy and that's what it says on the camper sticker and the tires. That's the tires I wanted on the camper. I had st tires on the C/C 30RL and I never had a problem with them and I took camper a lot of miles. From NC to Yellowstone, to TN five times, a lot of trips to the beach, no tire problems. I just wanted the G614. If I had kept the 30RL then new rims and new G614 would have went on the camper, just my choice.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #39

Trailer rims.............

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer 004.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	69448   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer 003.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	69449  

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #40

I guess, I can't remember what it said on the 30RL rims. They served me well. A TST TPMS was on the tires about all the time, I had no problem with the tires just my choice to go with different tires. I am just glad that I can carry more weight on camper, I have a trip planned for Alaska next year or maybe this year