Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 04:02 PM   #1

Meguires Hybrid Ceramic Application.

So I decided I was going to try this wax. The directions were not good for the first coat.

I then called Meguires and they told me it was fine for gel coat. They recommended cleaning with the Meguires Gold Class for the first clean (which I did and this product leaves very little traces from hard water - used this for years). Then he recommended to wet a defined area, spray with ceramic, and wipe off the first coat using a micro fiber towel.

I worked a lot on the application ending up at Lowe’s buying a 12 foot extension pole and a micro fiber head.

So I got a spray bottle filled w water, wetted a defined area and then sprayed an appropriate amount of the wax. I then used the extension and the micro fiber head to even out the defined area on the Coach.

Then I just kept moving around the Creek till I finished.

Once you figure out how to apply the product, it’s very easy to apply and leaves a magnificent shine. However, it leaves a super light white film. It comes off pretty easily with a micro fiber towel and the Meguire rep recommended a slightly damp towel to remove any streaks.

Dry seemed to work better for me so I rigged the new extension pole with a small rubber squeegee and wrapped it with two mf towels and used some plastic zip ties to hold the microfiber to the squeegee.

I did the high places w that and on the low places I just used my wax on/wax off impression.

The verdict is that it applies easily after you get a system, leaves a beautiful shine, but doesn’t leave the Coach perfect. I’m pretty sure it lightened the Coach a shade and the light dry coat probably helps the protection. Maybe it was oxidized a bit and that’s why it lighter I hope I didn’t hurt the finish any.

I don’t think so and it’s very shiny. I can’t see any of this light film from the ground. Basically just where I’m walking.

So with unknown durability, I’d give this product an 8 for now. Running an old terry cloth towel across it feels like a really good and lot of effort wax job.

Time was around 6 hours just because I needed to make it easier to apply plus the wash time yesterday. Probably 2 hours.

I think I can do this wash, and wax in 4-5 concentrated hours in the future if I go the same way. Meguires does say you don’t have to wipe it off the second time. Just get the surface clean. Wet it down and spray on the ceramic. Then spray it off. I will do that next time and see how it works.

I also only used about 2/3rds of the spay bottle.

Peace
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:51 PM   #2

I'm surprised the Meguiars rep gave you that information. The Hybrid ceramic spray is recommended to be used on top of a wax or other product for best results. Somewhere they have a long forum thread regarding this, but it's too long to find the posts where it was mentioned by Meguiars.

Anyway, that residue you saw, the instructions say to wet the surface, spray a light coat, wipe it down, then when all done, go over the entire vehicle with a strong stream of water, a pressure washer works best. That is probably what you were seeing on the surface, what the pressure washer rinses off. Been meaning to try this on my F350, but haven't had a chance to get it from the store yet. My F150 I did my own ceramic coat two years ago using Carpro CQuartz UK 3.0 and today it still looks great. I waxed my 5th wheel when I got it last month, and need to grab some of this to finish it off before it gets covered for winter.

Thanks for posting, great reminder.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:59 PM   #3

I completely ignored that high pressure rinse. I will keep that in mind next time. I didn’t see anything about it being on top of another wax in the instructions. It feels completely like a great wax job after you wipe off that residue.

The pressure washer is a great idea.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #4

There was a big discussion over on the f150forum about this stuff. Early on Meguiars claimed it worked better as a topping on a wax, that it bonds better, then they said it doesn't matter, then recommended it again saying it makes it last longer. The forum thread on Meguiars was well over 20 pages, so I gave up finding the pertinent information.

I polished and waxed my F350, and a week later had to wash it because something was in the air and a light rain bonded it to the truck, the roof of my RV is coated with it too. Whatever it was destroyed the wax, and now I am wondering if this would have held up better, so going to give it a try next.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, hybrid, ram