Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2021, 11:20 PM   #1

Microwave outside vent flap rattles

2016 cedar Creek 36CKTS. Every time the wind blows hard when we are parked, the flap for the outside vent for the stove/microwave starts banging and rattling. It's pretty loud and very annoying. Is there a cure for this other than taping it shut?
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:29 AM   #2
Always Learning

Mine clicked into place just by pressing a little harder on it. When I looked close, there were 2 tabs that locked the cover into place.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:02 AM   #3

The vent cover is an issue if the flapping bothers you. I alwaysleave my unlatched and let it slap away when it gets windy, I never latch it even when traveling and from the sound of things neither do you.

The problem with locking it down is ever time you want to use the vent fan you have to unlatch it which requires a ladder to get to it.

You could remove the cover but people talk about bugs getting in. Well they can get into the fan and top part of the microwave but not into the RV. I would remove the flap if it bothered me that much. Luckily, mine does not bother me that much..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Mine clicked into place just by pressing a little harder on it. When I looked close, there were 2 tabs that locked the cover into place.
X2. That or a piece of tape. Ours flapped and we didn't realize it til it broke off. Luckily it didn't happen on the road.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:19 AM   #5

You might try a chip clip or the like to hold it open when camping then remove the clip and secure the flap for travel/storage.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #6

I split a piece of Vacum hose 1/4” hose think and pushed it up on the edge. I forget to remove it before traveling sometimes but hasn’t been an issue!
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:56 AM   #7

Won’t stop the flapping but it will make it quiet. The leftovers can be used for compartment access doors. Put on at the point the door hits the paint.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd...9967/100062406
Old 01-26-2021, 11:47 AM   #8

Lots of easy solutions to quiet the flap if you don't want to snap it in place.
We snap ours into place, and then when we run the vent I can easily reach the flap from the stairs to unlock it. If you can't reach yours easily, then you might try a dampener.
We discovered if we leave ours unsnapped, it will eventually break off while traveling.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:57 PM   #9

A couple of thoughts:
1. Inside the vent flap, apply a strip of electrical tape to the bottom and sides. This is thin enough to still be able to lock the flap closed.It may dampen the noise.

2. Try adding a small amount of weight to the inside of the flap. It could be attached with masking tape until you know it stops the rattle and still opens when the microwave is running. Possibly, curtain weights or self-adhesive tire balance weight would work. It would be trial and error.

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Weight...dDbGljaz10cnVl
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:03 PM   #10
Always Learning

I'm surprised folks are snapping off during travel. We had our each of our fifth wheels for 2-3 years of fulltime travel where we moved every 8 nights on average and neither broke. I only ever closed them a handful of times (mostly on like day 4 of wind and the flapping finally got the better of my wife or me).
Old 01-26-2021, 03:22 PM   #11

I use a bamboo spatula to open or close the vent. Just pry underneath the tabs to open and twist to span between the vent and its cover to close.
Neverbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:50 PM   #12

I’m with Ependy on this. Have always opened the flap and never touched them again over the past 20 years. Haven’t lost one yet.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I’m with Ependy on this. Have always opened the flap and never touched them again over the past 20 years. Haven’t lost one yet.
Same here. 22 years on my old trailer and new one has had the flap loose for almost 4 years.

FWIW, noises in my TT's don't bother me much. I remember what it used to be like camping in a tent

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Same here. 22 years on my old trailer and new one has had the flap loose for almost 4 years.

FWIW, noises in my TT's don't bother me much. I remember what it used to be like camping in a tent
Depends on the flap and maybe where it is.
Our older RVs, we never closed the flap, never lost one. If the noise bothered us on windy days, we snapped it shut.
On our current RV, same type flap, but we have replaced it three times over 10 years after losing it during travel. All I can figure is it gets more forceful air movement during travel which causes it to break, or the vent is possessed and is just messing with us.
So now we always snap it shut while traveling. No big deal.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:01 PM   #15

Mine has a small turnbuckle (latch) on the edge. You turn that to latch down the flap. I'm working on an idea to run a wire inside but I've not followed through. FWIW I have had the pivot tabs break if not latched down while towing. I've had the type you press on to lock but found that awkward.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:24 PM   #16

A piece of "pool noodle" jamed up on the outside will solve your problem or get some ear plugs...Ha!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:04 PM   #17

I glued a couple of metal washers to the outside of the flap to give it some weight and lessen the flapping action when the wind blows, additionally I like the electrical tape recommendation also.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave, vent