Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyboy View Post
Has anyone replaced the MORryde steps with the Glowstep Revolution by Torklift on a Cedar Creek fifth wheel that doesn't have the under pull out step area. To install the Glowstep using there mounting brackets. You would have to drill from the top of your floor and add carriage bolts to hold there step assembly to the camper along with holes in the chassis frame. It looks like if you use lag bolts they would not last long.

Not Likely since Torklift doesn't make the Revolution steps to fit the 30 and 32 inch doors yet.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:30 PM   #142

When we ordered our 2018 36CK2 we specified the under pull out steps instead of the Morryde steps that fold up into the doorway. We figured there would be difficulty in getting into the unit in storage and places like rest stops plus all the dirt and water falling into the doorway. Also the DW couldn't really handle getting up or down. Don't regret that decision at all.

Note though I had Orvan install the Morryde step stow & go steps when 5er was in his shop for warranty work and other enhancements. Haven't use them yet as put unit in storage when I got it back. Plan is when we are going to be at a place for awhile I get the steps from where they are stowed and put them on for a more sturdy entry. Hope they work.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:54 PM   #143
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
When we ordered our 2018 36CK2 we specified the under pull out steps instead of the Morryde steps that fold up into the doorway. We figured there would be difficulty in getting into the unit in storage and places like rest stops plus all the dirt and water falling into the doorway. Also the DW couldn't really handle getting up or down. Don't regret that decision at all.

Note though I had Orvan install the Morryde step stow & go steps when 5er was in his shop for warranty work and other enhancements. Haven't use them yet as put unit in storage when I got it back. Plan is when we are going to be at a place for awhile I get the steps from where they are stowed and put them on for a more sturdy entry. Hope they work.
I’ve never heard of a MORryde “stow & go” step. Do you mean their StepAbove step that stores in the door?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:06 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyboy View Post
Has anyone replaced the MORryde steps with the Glowstep Revolution by Torklift on a Cedar Creek fifth wheel that doesn't have the under pull out step area. To install the Glowstep using there mounting brackets. You would have to drill from the top of your floor and add carriage bolts to hold there step assembly to the camper along with holes in the chassis frame. It looks like if you use lag bolts they would not last long.

Yes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glowstep Five_a.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	219904  

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:18 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I’ve never heard of a MORryde “stow & go” step. Do you mean their StepAbove step that stores in the door?
I have to apologize. I called them "Stow & Go" because that is what I think Orvan had put on the invoice. I believe they are actually called Morryde's "Quick Connect Step". They are not stored in the doorway, as they disconnect and can be stored in a bay or the TV. This link should get you to Morryde's website that shows them - MORryde Entry Steps. We still have the typical under pull out steps that we had ordered on the unit.

I first saw them in a Morryde pamphlet that I picked up at the 2019 FROG Rally in August. Orvan just ordered them and installed the two brackets for me (I didn't want to mess it up). I put the steps in the front bay (my pass thru bay is full) to store them while my 5er is in storage. The steps do have a handle to more easily carry them from point A to point B.

I plan on ordering a side hand rail as the current hand rail doesn't allow DW to grab onto even when using the under pull out steps from the ground (too far up for her to grab).

2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Old 11-26-2019, 11:26 PM   #146

I just looked on Amazon and they have the Morryde Quick Connect Steps for about $262 US. Here is that link - https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Org...3&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Old 11-26-2019, 11:36 PM   #147

I just looked on Amazon again as I saw the earlier link was for a 3 step. There is a 4 step Morryde Quick Connect Step version (which I have) for about $311.50 US. Here is that link - https://www.amazon.com/Mor-Ryde-Inte...s%2C178&sr=8-9

Old 11-27-2019, 08:12 AM   #148
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
I have to apologize. I called them "Stow & Go" because that is what I think Orvan had put on the invoice. I believe they are actually called Morryde's "Quick Connect Step". They are not stored in the doorway, as they disconnect and can be stored in a bay or the TV. This link should get you to Morryde's website that shows them - MORryde Entry Steps. We still have the typical under pull out steps that we had ordered on the unit.

I first saw them in a Morryde pamphlet that I picked up at the 2019 FROG Rally in August. Orvan just ordered them and installed the two brackets for me (I didn't want to mess it up). I put the steps in the front bay (my pass thru bay is full) to store them while my 5er is in storage. The steps do have a handle to more easily carry them from point A to point B.

I plan on ordering a side hand rail as the current hand rail doesn't allow DW to grab onto even when using the under pull out steps from the ground (too far up for her to grab).
Thanks, LittleBill. I knew that Torklift has a detachable step (its typically used on a truck camper) but I didn’t know that MORryde does, too.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rad4u View Post
I laugh every time I read these posts. These steps COULD NOT be easier to deploy, easier to clean, easier to fold, easier to adjust, easier to use and more solid if they tried.

And yet, people have to come on here to bash and complain about them.

You bought them, or bought an RV with them. It's nobody's fault but yours.
Who wet your Wheaties?
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:07 PM   #150
Fud

I love the morride steps. They are so sturdy and easy to stow.
Fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #151

I've been reading and following the thread and see and agree with both those who like the MORryde Steps and those that don't.

On our prior 5er, we had the standard pull down steps that were stored under the door. They were not the most stable of steps but I did make them more stable by supporting the bottom step with and adjustable step stabilizer and a 3/8" steel plate across the entire width of the step.

Moved to a new 5er last year with the MORryde steps. Absolutely LOVE the sturdiness of the steps. Super solid. However as others have mentioned, that require much more swing down space so for those with limited space on the sides, it's an issue. For me, I had to compensate for the stair swing by moving the camper over farther from the wall. Not optimal for now I'm basically at the barn door edge to give me enough room on the door side of the camper.

Also with the MORryde (and shoot the whole camper really) I've learned that I have to be more aware of temporary places that I may decide to open it up (e.g. rest area). In our old rig, I didn't have to open the slides to get to the fridge and make lunch. This one, I do and because of the slides and the steps, I need a wider space for sure.

Pros and cons on both sides. Likes and dislikes on both sides. For me, the stability of the MORryde outweigh the other items.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #152
Canadian Member

Quote:
Well, I’ve heard back from Kerstin Stokes at Torklift and the width of their current Uprising steps may be an issue. I’m also a bit concerned about how they are installed - they bolt to the door frame flange. We’ll see if they use a different attachment method with the wider steps.
FYI, Torklift have made some revisions to their original design of the Uprising steps and now call them the Torklift GlowStep Revolution Uprising. The redesign, I think, may be wider but still bolts to the door flange with button head bolts. I'm willing to give them a try because I'm not completely happy with the MORryde StepAbove steps. I worked out all the measurements and they've sent me a set to evaluate. I won't be able to get them installed until the Spring but I'll be doing an unbiased review after I've had a chance to use them a few times. That'll be a new thread.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #153

Quote:
FYI, Torklift have made some revisions to their original design of the Uprising steps and now call them the Torklift GlowStep Revolution Uprising. The redesign, I think, may be wider but still bolts to the door flange with button head bolts. I'm willing to give them a try because I'm not completely happy with the MORryde StepAbove steps. I worked out all the measurements and they've sent me a set to evaluate. I won't be able to get them installed until the Spring but I'll be doing an unbiased review after I've had a chance to use them a few times. That'll be a new thread.

Odd they would send them to a location that can't use them for months while Florida and Southwest locations could try them out tomorrow. I've been on their list since August 2019 for the Revolution steps to fit the 32 inch door. Guess I need to give them another call.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:57 PM   #154
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
Odd they would send them to a location that can't use them for months while Florida and Southwest locations could try them out tomorrow. I've been on their list since August 2019 for the Revolution steps to fit the 32 inch door. Guess I need to give them another call.
My door has just over 28” of clearance between the inside edges of the door frame. If you have 32” of clear space they may not have a step that wide yet.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Florida View Post
Here are photos of what I did. I have not detached them yet. I expect that process to be a little bit of a pain, but this is for emergency situations.

Jim
I've read on another site that Morryde has made changes to their steps. Sounds like one of their changes is similar to my fix. Another one was to make the extenders ratchet to extend rather than the pins. I was planning on doing something similar.

"- Added 3” of depth to top step for better transition out of the unit
- Feet are now on a ratchet style mech (quick release) so a customer can adjust the leg height without pulling pins on each leg
- MORyde addressed one of our customers biggest complaints…the inability to get into their trailer in cramped spaces (like storage facilities) While in the “up” position, MORyde added a pullout pin to the hinge/frame on each side for the step. This allows the customer to detach the entire step from the unit for easy access in tight spaces"

I wonder if Morryde will send me a new set as compensation for my idea on the removable steps?

Jim
Old 08-26-2020, 09:52 AM   #156

Quote:
I've read on another site that Morryde has made changes to their steps. Sounds like one of their changes is similar to my fix. Another one was to make the extenders ratchet to extend rather than the pins. I was planning on doing something similar.

"- Added 3” of depth to top step for better transition out of the unit
- Feet are now on a ratchet style mech (quick release) so a customer can adjust the leg height without pulling pins on each leg
- MORyde addressed one of our customers biggest complaints…the inability to get into their trailer in cramped spaces (like storage facilities) While in the “up” position, MORyde added a pullout pin to the hinge/frame on each side for the step. This allows the customer to detach the entire step from the unit for easy access in tight spaces"

I wonder if Morryde will send me a new set as compensation for my idea on the removable steps?

Jim
This allows the customer to detach the entire step from the unit for easy access in tight spaces"

I’m curious, how does this help you easily get in? My door is almost chest high. How much do the stairs weigh? I must be missing something?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #157

It allows me to take the steps off when I am too close to another object. I can either lean then up against the side below the opening or use a small stepladder or stool to get in.

The ONLY time I would do this is when it is absolutely required. I had the leveling system freeze up one time not allowing me to move the front of the 5th wheel up or down to get it onto the truck. The only way to reset the system was from inside.

There have been times when my storage lot neighbor has been too close for the steps to swing down.

I love the steps. I wish they had a set that had a knee (similar to garage attic access ladders) that would allow them to be deployed. Maybe I'll make a set myself.

Jim
Old 08-26-2020, 11:13 AM   #158

Quote:
It allows me to take the steps off when I am too close to another object. I can either lean then up against the side below the opening or use a small stepladder or stool to get in.

The ONLY time I would do this is when it is absolutely required. I had the leveling system freeze up one time not allowing me to move the front of the 5th wheel up or down to get it onto the truck. The only way to reset the system was from inside.

There have been times when my storage lot neighbor has been too close for the steps to swing down.

I love the steps. I wish they had a set that had a knee (similar to garage attic access ladders) that would allow them to be deployed. Maybe I'll make a set myself.

Jim
That makes complete sense. More of a need not a regular use scenario. Good to know. Thanks..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:18 PM   #159

Modification to Morryde steps to allow Trailer access in tight storage areas. Jim in Florida had a post to drill out the rivets and replace with 1/4 inch stainless steel pins from McMaster Carr. I made the modification and it worked pretty well. There are 10 rivets to drill out on each set of stairs. You need (6) pins for each set of steps.
--(4) sets of 2 rivets each on the aluminum stringers.
--(2) rivets on the "riser" piece on the stop step.

Initially, I drilled out each set of rivets, replacing with the 1/4 inch pin as I went. After all the rivets had been replaced, I tried to remove the steps. Removal wasn't too bad. Some of the pins had to be tapped out. When I tried to reinstall the pins, it proved VERY difficult to get the holes to line up and re-insert the pins. I ended up drilling out all the holes to 5/16. Removal time is 1.5 now minutes. Re-install time is 4 minutes. No tools needed.

Some things to note.
1. The removal and installation is done primarily with the stairs in the "up" position. The strut/hinge will force you to do it this way.
2. The stair assembly ways 40-50 pounds. I am 65. I did the remove/install by myself, but most people will want an assistant on the inside of the RV. I will probably train the wife to help me.
3. The 5/16 holes create some "looseness". This isn't noticeable when the stairs are deployed. When you raise the steps. the stop on the stairs that contacts the door frame, will probably no longer contact the door frame. So, you will want to use some care when you close the door after raising the stairs.

Also, don't forget to purchase a small step stool for use at your storage area. The step ladder needs to be narrow enough to get into the partially open door.
GoPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #160

I only drilled out 2 rivets on each side.