Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #1

"Mouse Free"

Okay gang - who has heard of it, seen it, used it?!

Is it worth the cost? Approximately $10.00 per linear foot...

I'm contemplating having the local dealer spray the underside of our Silverback, but I want to know as much about it as possible first - I need to hear from those whom have used the product.

Thanks all!
2011 Chev Silverado 3500HD Dually Duramax Turbo Diesel - Allison Trans / PullRite 20.5K Super 5th Wheel Hitch & SuperRails / Trailair Tri-Glide Air Ride Pin Box #21,000 / Honda 3000i Handi

mdamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #2

I have talked to someone who used this product. He had stored his fifth wheel for a month and a half in a rather weedy area. He didn't get any mice in the trailer but who's to say it was the "mouse free" or the lack of mice that kept the trailer free of mice.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #3

I've been in the pest control field for 30+ years and that's a new one.Is it a pesticide or a repellant of some sort?

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #4

It is supposed to be a repellant that is sprayed on the undercarriage. It has to be reapplied annually. If you ask me it sounds like a bunch of BS.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #5

The owner of the dealership where my wife and I bought our Cedar Creek told us to put some mothballs in 2 liter bottles, punch some small holes in them and put them between the tires on each side. He said this would work if the unit is parked for some time. So far, so good. Additionally, he told us to put "Bounce" fabric sheets in all cabinets, doors, drawers, etc until camping season. Not only does it make the unit smell fresh inside, it also keeps rodents away. We have decided to keep replacing the dryer sheets so the unit will always smell fresh, and when we pack up for camping, I am going to tape over the holes in the bottles, and put them BEHIND the tires when at the site. It certainly couldn't hurt. Besides, I haven't tried the mothball theory on Raccoons yet, and our local county park has them.
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushor
The owner of the dealership where my wife and I bought our Cedar Creek told us to put some mothballs in 2 liter bottles, punch some small holes in them and put them between the tires on each side. He said this would work if the unit is parked for some time. So far, so good. Additionally, he told us to put "Bounce" fabric sheets in all cabinets, doors, drawers, etc until camping season. Not only does it make the unit smell fresh inside, it also keeps rodents away. We have decided to keep replacing the dryer sheets so the unit will always smell fresh, and when we pack up for camping, I am going to tape over the holes in the bottles, and put them BEHIND the tires when at the site. It certainly couldn't hurt. Besides, I haven't tried the mothball theory on Raccoons yet, and our local county park has them.
As an added note, the owner I mentioned above is also an avid camper. He will camp through the summer and come to work while camping locally.
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:22 AM   #7

There was a post lil bit back about mint oil or something like that. Might want to search for it.
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #8

We got two mice in our rig, not during our almost three month trip, but apparently on our last leg of the journey, or after we got home. The trailer is parked in a side yard, and we have had mice in the area always, but this is the first time inside a trailer. So, after ridding the trailer of the mice, I used the peppermint oil inside the trailer....on cotton swabs...in every cabinet, every drawer, every door, along and around windows etc. All seemed well. Then we went to MO for a weekend trip, came home, and a week later....another mouse. Apparently dead, and not yet found :{ . The oil's fragrance was diminished, but still noticeable.....so I don't think the oil is the answer. It might help, but we need to find out where their entrance is....we have a V Lite W30FKSS, and the mice, and smell, have so far been limited to the front kitchen cabinet area. We'll be looking for the mouse and the entrance tomorrow!!!!
WWTTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #9

I had the same problem, I have a 39l Cherokee park model. I was getting mouse crap in the drawers , above the converter. I plugged the holes in the wall, where the wires were coming in, thought that would solve it. Didn't, I removed the converter, and there was a 2" hole drilled under the converter, with nothing in it. I plugged that and replaced the converter back. Hope that keeps them out. Also, they were getting, behind the fireplace in my trailer, where the hydraulic lines goes through the floor. Should be mouse free, now,inside, anyway. Cabfresh and peppermint oil, didn't do it.
NorminN.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #10

Hey there,
yes i have used it. pricey. i bought 1 gallon for my 29bh. the dealer let me use the spayer (looked like a cheapy autopaint sprayer) and i had my old compressor there that i used. you crawl under and coat everything with a greasy goop not unlike ky gel. there is supposed to be some things rodents dont like in the goop and plus the slipperyness is supposed to keep them out. 1 gal was enough for me. So as i was doing this right where my kitchen sink/stove is was a copper propane line. the hole was a 6 inch by 3 inch slot and only a small area of the openness was being used. Now this it through the tarp thing above the steel frame but below the floor if you know what I mean. I went ahead and filled the hole with the expanding Great Stuff so the hole was filled completely. I found the same thing over by the water heater and did the same.

Now my camper unlike a lot of folks here never moves. Its on a concrete pad in the middle of thick woods. So once I sprayed and once I felt like all the penetrations were closed, I also put some d-con out. I hesitate to use that stuff but I am telling you those were tore up in days... so i think there are a lot of mice around. I have switched to something called tomcat because its in a little plastic box with a small hole for just the rodents.

So the verdict. I found a couple the next trip out in the camper. But I think I might have trapped them in... is that possible. Now for several trips the camper is clear... but its summertime. So its really hard to tell. For me... its worth the cost and effort. They say you should apply yearly. I did it in early spring. Its still like the day I put it on. I hate those things but its going to take a combination of things like filling holes, keeping food in tubs etc. I think it works though. Your milage may vary. Sorry for such a long post.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #11

Mouse Free

To the OP - sorry, I can't speak to the product, but, for what it is worth, my neighbour uses cloves and has not a mouse problem in years.

Apparantly, mice can't stand the smell of clove. When I'm ready to store my trailer, I plan on placing the cloves strategically around the trailer in tin foil trays.

good luck.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #12

I used Fresh Cab by earthKind when I stored it for the winter time. Each pack lasts ~3 months, and covers 125 square feet. No rodents whatsoever (and I've seen some running around our storage area), and it left our camper smelling like a Christmas tree (major ingredient is balsam fir oil) kind of nice!

They're pricey on their website, but I got a 4 pack on ebay for about $14.
phrogpilot73 is offline   Reply With Quote