Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2014, 10:30 PM   #1

Moving over to a Silverback 29RE/ 31RK?

Hello folks,

There's a good chance I may being moving into a 14/15 29RE/31RK. I really like the layout on them both. Are there any common issues to look for on Silverbacks inparticular?

We maybe full timing it until we set another house up.

Both are pretty loaded up. The numbers are pretty close in length weight and price. The 31rk has air returns on the AC set up and the 29re is direct into the coach. Has anyone had any issues with the return vents? How's the noise and cool down. Both have 15 main and a 13.5 in the bedroom.

Thanks,

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

The fully ducted main A/C is much quieter than the old style direct vent. It is due to the design that puts all of the mechanical noisemakers above the roof. The bedroom unit is still direct vent however it is connected to the ceiling ducts as well. Expect the standard noise level in the bdrm. The negatives for the fully ducted are:
Filters are a pain to clean and are mounted/constructed poorly.
The unit mounting bolts are accessible only after removal of the cover assembly on the roof.

Most folks I know run the bedroom A/C just before going to bed to cool it off then switch to main for the quiet while sleeping.

Enjoy your upgrade.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #3

Tires is probably the biggest concern. Forest River like nearly all manufacturers uses cheap junk ST tires. If your going to make a deal, include quality LT tires in the deal. You wont be sorry.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #4

I am with you on the tires. I was messing with the AC today in the 29RE. It spears it it common ducting from bedroom to living room. The unit just feels solid. Door fit and finish just appear well put together comparatively. We looked at trilogy, Columbus, sandpiper and rushmoor. I am really leaning to the silverback for price point quality and holding value.

Salt

Old 12-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #5

We have a 2014 Silverback purchased Nov 3013....Other than a few minor warranty issues we have had no problems getting service from our dealer/Forest River....Only one AC in main LRm..We had a max air vent installed in Bed Rm with remote...Much quieter than leaving Bathroom fan on at nights. J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #6

We have a 14 31RK like the layout. Some warranty issues with dealer.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #7

Silverback

We bought our first fifth wheel a 29rk Silverback in Dec 2013 and had a list of issues. (owner a class A for 15 years) Two factory tires blew this year and did a lot of damage. Replaced all 5 for safety. They did not fail from neglect and FR would not warrant. I would not take possession with cheap tires. We toured the factory and got parts as we were traveling in Indiana. The folks at the factory are really nice to work with and take pride in what they do even though FR could improve on quality inspections. The RK is a nice floor plan but everything in the back end gets a real rough ride. all the shelves in the frig ($40 ea) and 3 pantry shelves broke from canned and refrig goods bouncing. I tow with a 2011 F250 diesel and air bags are a must in my opinion. It took me a few tries to get the best pressure and then the ride really improved and towing stability. I recommend spending time before taking possession and check out all mechanical and electrical systems -- safe wiring - switch locations-- correct circuit breaker identification. With some personalizing and common sense changes we are happy with our Silverback.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #8

We just pulled the 31 to Texas. about 1400 miles no broken shelves or frig. No tire problems even with the cheap ones.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #9

Silverback

I wish you luck Silverback Iowan. I was towing blissfully for almost a year and a half (about 8k miles) and with no warning-- no road hazard-- no storage abuse--no inflation neglect-- no direct sunshine storage-- no excessive speed ----no axle problems- proper brake setting and BOOOOM one tire went on one side on one axle. 100 miles later BOOOOOM other side different axle. Each side had the wheel well trim ripped off and sheetmetal skirt torn. It made me a believer in what you read on a lot of the forums about low quality tire issues. I drive blissfully now with good tires.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #10

Aside from tire issues, if you were repurchasing would you go withanother Silverback?

Old 12-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #11

We have a 2013 Silverback 33rl and living in it full time. Lots of room. No major problems with it. I will be installing a second AC unit in it this winter because its alot hotter here in the summer than in Michigan. You got enough truck you may want to look at the 33rl also.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #12

another silverback

That is hard to say if we would do it again. Our most important criteria was proper towing specs (primarily pin weight) for an F250, price point and we really wanted a king size bed. The Silverback met all these. I believe that most F250s are exceeding capacity with big heavy trailers, large fuel tanks, generator in bed and extras in the RV. We were new to 5th wheelin but had wore out an old class A over 15 years so we weren't novices. We also do a lot of dry camping so did not want a really big trailer. The Silverback 29RK is a lighter trailer and towing and fuel economy is very good but you get what you pay for with quality when it comes to fit and finish on the interior. We would probably buy another one but would really inspect the trailer before taking possession. After a couple month of owning I had a list with about 20 significant complaints that I wound up resolving myself as we did not have very good luck with our nearby dealer. We purchased the trailer from an internet dealer based in OHIO so local support was all we had. A good local dealer if you can get your price is probably important. I think all RV mfgs have issues. A friend spent $$$$ on their class A Itasca and had many problems over 2 years.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #13

Have 2015, Silverback 33rl. Would buy same unit again. Took 2 yr warranty. Only did that for insurance in event of litigation. The more leverage you have, the better for you.
As far as tires, buy yourself a Tire Minder or similar alert system.
One LAST POINT: upgrade your factory hitch to TrailAir. What a difference in absorbing road abuse!
My 2011 Keystone, similar size and weight towed x country. Roads beat stuff inside around. Not so with TrailAir. Really liked our Keystone Outback Sydney 5er, bunkhouse. Traded for rear living.
We have found RV's are like SHOES. If it fits well, buy it! 😁

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:08 AM   #14

Thanks folks,

Made the deal today. I will be going with the 29RE. I guess I should say we. I'll sign on Friday. I checked everything out on Saturday when going over everything.

2acs level up and a few other goodies.

Salt

Old 12-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #15

Congrats! I've had my 2015 29RE for about 5 months and I love it. It's solid and I haven't had any problems as of yet. Pulled it twice is all and not very far, just a few hundred miles. The wife and I really enjoy it. I work away from home so it's like a second home. Let us know what you think once you get rolling in it.
2007 Dodge Ram 2500

RickWDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #16

Went with a 2014 29 ik 9 months ago and it has been great. Looking into a dehumidifier , this week is our first in cold weather and condensation on the windows and bedroom wall is considerable. Good luck
2014 Silverback 29 IK
jackandjoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #17

jackandjoanne,
Condensation on the bedroom wall ? I think that would concern me. Can you say a little more about this? I expect to have condensation on windows, but not the walls, outside maybe but not inside.
2 for the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:15 AM   #18
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I have the same issues with condensation. Running a ceramic heater adds to the issue. Cooking on the stove adds to the issue. And now we run a dehumidifier. It really works great. The windows used to have puddles on them and fogged over (I had to paper towel them daily) but now just dust and lint. It's 85% humidity outside and 35% inside. My dehumidifier can run auto or manual. We normally run manual and dump the collection bucket (1/3 full) daily. Its great to wake up in the morning and look thru a clear window, not fogged up. Wow!
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #19

This is the first time it happened , in Myrtle Beach, got cold and rained all day, fire place helped but the furnace ran a bit and propane adds moisture to the air. We found moisture on the wall above the bedroom slide and in the closet, checked the roof for a leak and nothing was there . I have propane heat at home and I find moisture at the farthest point away from the heat source. I cracked a few windows and it seemed to get better. I saw that you can buy a small dehumidifier for the few times this is an issue. Summer with it open and with A/c no issue. Probably a good idea to have in summer when the rig is closed in high humidity
2014 Silverback 29 IK
jackandjoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:34 AM   #20

During a recent stay in Brunswick, GA, I had the chance to speak to two other 29IK Silverback owners. As owners do, we discussed various issues about our "ownership experience.” One real surprising topic kept topping the conversation. Counting two Silverback owners I met in Georgia and one in the Grand Canyon campground, all three were missing their $600 electric stabilizer jacks.

I explained how mine was charged on the invoice along with an electric reel but both were missing when the dealer tried to deliver the Coach to me. Interesting enough, when all three checked other owners checked their invoices, they were clearly charged on their invoices also, but were missing from their fifth wheels.

Checking the rigs revealed that they were not removed but never installed.

So, what are the odds that I would meet three other Cedar Creek Silverback owners of two different models 29IK, 33RL owners, four counting me, that had the same $600 missing parts?

After speaking to the Cedar Creek tech people, they indicated the rear jacks are needed. They explained this is due to the level up hydraulic system legs being directly behind the rear wheel do not provide enough stabilization to the rig when parked.This for a fact I understand. During the two month wait for my electric stabilizer jacks to be sent to the dealer (Giant Recreation World) and then installed, I was very aware of the extremely animated movement when walking about inside the Coach. (this fact also pointed out by three other owners as well)

This issue of not supplying and installing parts made us question whether other parts were also missing, so check your invoice and make sure you get everything they billed you for
PS: your going to want rear stabilizers
Zoo1392 is offline   Reply With Quote