Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #1

Smile New 2019 Silverback 33IK / First Impressions

Been camping for 40 years, tents, 2 popups, 3 travel trailers, and this is our first 5th wheel. Picked up our new 2019 Cedar Creek Silverback about 10 days ago from Couch RV Nation in Hamilton, Ohio and drove it back home to near Augusta, Georgia. Very pleased with dealer, fit, function and quality of unit in general. We special ordered from factory and it was received as ordered. Had one problem on the trip home, when I put my tow vehicle in reverse at a Cracker Barrel the trailer brakes locked up. I disconnected 7 pin connector to back up, parked the unit and reconnected when I left. Fortunately I have seen this problem before when 7 pin connector yellow backup light wire was mistakenly connected with the blue brake wire on the trailer. After getting home, the next day I looked in the junction box behind the king pin and confirmed this was the case, easy fix just removed the yellow backup wire. Next problem encountered also minor, the water pump was not working, troubleshooting found a 1 amp fuse in the negative wire leading from the motor (blown of course since it is a 7.5 amp motor), installed a 7.5 amp fuse and pumped worked as expected. I have now checked out all systems with exception of the air conditioners (they do turn on). Its quite cold here in Georgia and not hot enough to fully check out AC.

What I like : just about everything but most happy about easy access to things that most often fail in a camper, wish locations of gray and black tank valves were labeled on belly pans. This is important to me since I am about 90 miles to closest Cedar Creek dealer who's salesman told me they would not do warranty work if I did not buy from them. Especially pleased that DW is happy with the unit and very pleased we chose Cedar Creek. Also glad we have the latest model with the flat top slides because I like slide toppers.

What I don't like : Not to pleased with the screen door - main door connection. DW has arthritis in hands and has problems opening and closing the doors, there has to be a better design. I have some ideas on how to make it better.

All things considered, we are happy campers, just hope that things are reliable and keep on working.
tmims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Congrats on your choice. I hope you have great luck with it.

The DW and and I are taking a serious hard look at the 33IK. We'll likely order when we find the right deal but not until winter starts to turn the corner instead of just beginning.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:31 AM   #3

I checked with local Cedar Creek dealerships in Columbia SC, Atlanta GA, Savannah, GA, and Anderson SC. Couch's in Hamilton, Ohio give us the best deal and we are happy with their commitment to help us find competent dealerships as close as possible willing to do warranty work if required. Good luck with your search for a new unit.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #4

Although our 33IK is a 2016 ... we also like it very much. I had owned 3 different Montana models prior to owning a FR product and continue to be pleased with switching brands. Our first year was brutal with quality of build items spanning the entire year that were simply staggering, but FR came thru and replaced everything to our satisfaction. I would have hated to pay the shipping alone on all that was replaced. We really like the old peaked roofs ... I had toppers on the slides of the Montana's and concluded they were a bit over rated and hard to keep clean, but to each his own conclusions.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #5

We too ordered a 33IK from Couch and picked it up in October. The process went well and we are very happy with the trailer. Dealers in GA and nearby states could not come close on the price.

We have had no problems so far, but have scheduled an inspection by Orvan next May to hopefully head off any future problems.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #6

We bought a 33IK in July just before the change. We have the cathedral slides and like the look and hope anything that would be falling on the roof will roll off. I like the idea of not having a place for critters to hide and get rolled up in.

We had issues with out theater seating, but had them replaced.
Initially didn't care for most of the light switched being behind the panel but have gotten used to it.
Really like the entry steps but am concerned about access when in storage (tight side access) and need to get inside to reset the leveling system {have had to do it a few times). I think I am going to drill out the rivets and put in clevis pins so it can be removed.

Overall we love it better than our tents, pop up and TTs.

Jim
Old 11-22-2018, 07:13 AM   #7

Good to hear from satisfied customers, and I too like the look of the cathedral roof lines inside and out, guess I'm just more use to the slide toppers. I to plan on making an appointment with Orvan if I start having any significant problems. I don't trust any local dealership repair capabilities, and none in GA or SC could come close to Couch's price. No matter where you are, getting your unit into a shop is about a two month or longer wait, so being able to do some work yourself is important. Unfortunately, self repairs are not made easy due to a lack of documentation, wiring schematics, or helpful how to video's . I would gladly purchase how to video on slide adjustment, dump valve replacement, water heater and furnace common adjustments and part replacements, etc.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #8

Diesel guy,
I too, seriously considered Montana, I just felt that the construction used on the Cedar Creek with aluminum superstructure and hung gelcoat walls would be a better design. Did you have any significant problems with your Montana's?
Tom
Old 11-22-2018, 02:27 PM   #9

Augusta RV in Evans, GA is an authorized Cedar Creek warranty service center. I have used them twice. The have very good relationship with factory.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #10

Mbulter,

Thanks, I did not know Augusta RV was a authorized Cedar Creek service center. That is fantastic, I have been worried about warranty work and service in general. Sounds like they took care of your issues and have good working relationship with the factory. You made my day, thanks so much.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmims View Post
What I don't like : Not to pleased with the screen door - main door connection.
I've got the same door/screen issue with a Hathaway CC. My answer was to tweek/adjust the black plastic catch on the inside of the exterior door, making it easier to unlatch the screen from the door. However, this causes the tab to catch or stick on the door frame when both are closed. Simply shave off about 3/16" of the latch tab that catches on the door frame using a Dremel tool. Arthritis hands are now able to operate the door easily.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmims View Post
Mbulter,

Thanks, I did not know Augusta RV was a authorized Cedar Creek service center. That is fantastic, I have been worried about warranty work and service in general. Sounds like they took care of your issues and have good working relationship with the factory. You made my day, thanks so much.
Glad I could help. Stop by Augusta RV and introduce yourself to their team.
Richard, Christie, Jordon...
Old 11-22-2018, 09:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbutler View Post
Glad I could help. Stop by Augusta RV and introduce yourself to their team.
Richard, Christie, Jordon...
After warranty is expired, have Southern Roofing coat your roof with Gacoflex.
www.gaco.com
Old 11-22-2018, 11:00 PM   #14

SilhouettPenny,
Thanks for the tip, I filed off a bit this morning, much better, but more needs to be removed. Didn't think about using the Dremel, I'll take your advice and finish the job with Dremel.
Tom
Old 11-22-2018, 11:06 PM   #15

Mbbutler,

I will be calling Augusta RV tomorrow, and researching Gacoflex. Thanks again for all your help and feedback.
Tom
Old 11-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #16

When you do use Augusta RV, avoid talking to anyone WHY you chose any other dealer....if anything, say it was a spontaneous decision that the wife insisted on. Had every feature and colors she dreamed of. NO DEALER WANTS TO HEAR “BETTER PRICE”; QUALITY SERVICE”! Avoid those conversations, period.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:54 PM   #17

Got it, I've experienced those vibes from one dealer salesman who told me they would not do warranty work if I bought from another dealer. Two days later I called the service mgr, he told me they would do warranty work but if labor cost more than factory authorized, I would be responsible for the difference. Main issue to me is you would be low priority compared to any of their customers who bought from them.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #18

I noticed this weekend that when I use the oven the cabinet on the left side gets pretty warm. I was surprised there is no insulation to protect the wood and the contents.

Has anyone else noticed this? I think I'll call Cedar Creek about it.

Jim
Old 12-04-2018, 05:24 PM   #19

Jim ... perhaps you should have started a new thread on your issue as it kinda just shoots out of the blue. To answer ... I've had 4 new fivers over 18 years ... none had insulation between oven and side panels other than what was around the oven itself. Same with furnace, and hot water heater. You'll find in the summer time, the pantry will get pretty warm next to the fridge if you have a gas absorption fridge.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #20

We had an interesting thing happen when we used the vent in the microwave for the first time. Air was blowing out into the kitchen from behind the microwave. I knew that the hood was vented to the outside, so went outside to check it; nothing was coming out. I reached up under the outside hood, and realized that the flap was not opening. Turns out the flap has two clips that hold it closed, I assume for traveling or washing the trailer. So now I snap it close when we pack up and snap it open when we set up on a site.