Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #1

New Silverback 29RL

The dealer called to tell us our Silverback 29RL came in. We are scheduled to pick it up on Friday. If the trailer passes our PDI we will sign the papers and then take the Silverback to a nearby campground and give it a two day shakedown.

After that we will bring it home for a day before heading over to Carlyle Lake in Illinois for another three nights. Hopefully I won’t have to pester you good folks with too many questions about the new Silverback.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #2

We loved everything about our maiden voyage this past weekend. I am sure you will enjoy yours as well.

Congrats on your new arrival!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #3

The dealer called us again today to inform us that our Silverback is a 2013 model. Because our unit was already in assembly and nearing the end, I thought we would be getting the last of the 2012's. It will be interesting to see if Cedar Creek incorporated any small changes in the 2013 model.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #4

Congrats!!!!!!!! We picked ours up but came down with bronchitis so couldn't even enjoy it this weekend Please keep us posted. Have camped numerous times at Carlyle Lake-a great park
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmswms View Post
Have camped numerous times at Carlyle Lake-a great park
You are absolutely right about it being a great park...it's too great. It's getting harder and harder to find a site available, and weekends are almost impossible.

If you're ever in the park and you see a 29RL Silverback and an old guy with a beard that looks like he won the jackpot, it's me. I love retirement. Stop by and I'll offer you a beer, wine, coffee, soda, or any other refreshment we might have on hand.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #6

Will take you up on that-the the meantime have one for me
Old 03-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #7

We love our 29re silverback that we picked up a few weeks ago. The dealer told us to it was a 2013. We did not really notice any changes except for the brand of vac system and the brand of the fireplace. Enjoy
Old 03-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #8

I'm hoping that when we do our PDI on the trailer Friday that we don't find any real issues. Other that the fact the our Silverback is a bit longer than we wanted in a fifth wheel, the 29RL has all the "must haves" that we wanted.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 03-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #9

Let's know how it's going, when you get settled in tonight.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:29 AM   #10

Our PDI at the dealership went off without a hitch. The most exhausting part of the day was transferring all of our stuff from the Wildcat to the Silverback. It was 4:45 PM by the time we left the dealership and drove over to the RV park.

The park has pull thought sites so it was a breeze getting into the site. Setup didn’t go quite as I had envisioned. After getting the Silverback positioned in the site properly I reached into my pocket for the trailer keys so I could open the slam-latch doors and get out our wheel chocks. WHAT THE HECK! The key ring contained the door keys and the 751 keys, but the keys for the slam-latch doors were missing. How they disappeared from key ring is beyond me. We searched high and low but couldn’t find the keys.

I finally had to make that embarrassing call to the dealer and explain that I had lost the keys. Their parts department was already closed but they told me to come on by and they would give me a key that would work.

At the dealership, while my wife Joyce went in to get our salesman and the key, I walked out to the lot to see if the keys were on the ground somewhere. EUREKA! I walked right up to where the Silverback had been and there on the ground in the rocky dust, laid the keys. Our salesman was amazed because they had already gone out to the lot looking to see if I had dropped the keys on the ground. I guess I just got lucky. I still don’t understand how that one set of keys managed to get loose from the main key ring.

Back at the RV park we hooked up the trailer to the utilities and opened the slides. BTW, I didn’t realized how heavy the 50 amp power cord is compared to a 30 amp cord. By that time we were hungry so we went to dinner and then to a grocery store to stock the trailer. While we were eating at the restaurant, my wife MADE me give her one set of the trailer keys. Hmmm, I can’t imagine why.

When we returned to the park we were too darn tired to put all of our “stuff” away. We watched TV for a bit and I think we were in bed by 9:30. We love our new Silverback and especially the bedroom and all the space around the bed.

I’m sure I’ll have more to write about when we get back home on Sunday.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #11

I told you, that bedroom is palatial compared to the Wildcat.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #12

I really didn't appreciate the space around the bed until we had to put our mattress topper on it and the bed sheets. You're right PapaSmurf, it does seem palatial compared to the Wildcat.

There is one thing I do miss about our old Wildcat, the Central Trash System. I will adjust though. So far we haven't had any issues with the Silverback. I'm really impressed with the fit and finish of this trailer and I love the greater width of the entry door. I have yet to bump my elbows going in or out.

I was surprised that our Silverback didn't have scare lights on either side of the trailer. There is a spot for the switch on the switch panel but it is covered over. Not a big deal, we rarely used the scare lights on the Wildcat.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 03-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
We love our 29re silverback that we picked up a few weeks ago. The dealer told us to it was a 2013. We did not really notice any changes except for the brand of vac system and the brand of the fireplace. Enjoy
Yes, our Silverback has the InterVac system rather than the Dirt Devil system. We also didn't have outside scare lights, but I don't know if the 2012's had them or not.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #14

Well, how has the first leg of your shake-down gone?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #15

Glad you had a good PDI!!!!! Our maiden voyage will be next weekend!! I can't wait!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #16

We had a great couple of nights in the new Silverback. We did notice a squeak in the floor by the bedroom entrance though. Also the 751 lock on the front storage compartment isn’t quite right. I have to jiggle the key in the lock quite a bit before it will unlock or lock.

On our old Wildcat, to get cable television into the bedroom I had to put a signal splitter in the entertainment center with a feed from cable to antenna. With the Silverback all I had to do what hook up to the park’s cable TV feed and both televisions had the signal. Man, that made me happy. The burners on the stove light easier than they ever did on the Wildcat.

During our PDI there was one thing the mechanic couldn’t figure out and I haven’t yet either. It’s how to get the outside vent for the stove to open. The next time we’re in the trailer I’ll be looking into this.

Towing the Silverback the 100 miles back to our house today was easy and our three-quarter ton truck handled the extra weight without a problem. I really couldn’t tell any difference in towing from our shorter and lighter Wildcat. Backing into my spot at the storage lot was much easier with the longer trailer. I thought it would be harder.

Tomorrow we are heading over to Carlyle Lake in Illinois for three nights. We were so busy putting things away we didn’t have time to check out the DVD player in the Jensen. Yea, it’s not a Concertone.

My wife loves everything about this new fifth wheel and can’t wait to get back into tomorrow.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 04-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #17

I'll have to be sure to take my camera when we go to Carlyle Lake so I can take a photo for a new avatar.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 04-02-2012, 05:37 AM   #18

I had the same experience; easier to back and very little towing difference.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #19

Thinking of putting a small free standing island with locking wheels in the kitchen for a little extra counter space-any thoughts?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #20

Got to thinking-you can make reservations at Carlyle. Nice to know you have a spot when you get there.